Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5201 5202 [5203] 5204 5205 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8577776 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #78030 on: July 05, 2014, 04:52:10 pm »

So basically the internet. Since that was my primary form of socialization for most of my life and the primary source of emotional support. By that logic the internet (or at least parts of it) is an amazing parent.

I don't think anyone irl actually did anything helpful for my growth. Nor did I interact with anyone until around 17ish.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #78031 on: July 05, 2014, 08:25:11 pm »

Too tired to have gotten anything more than a few jots down in terms of productive work on the game. Managed to vaguely grasp high precision division algorithm. Very vaguely. I will probably need to read the notes and suchlike in greater detail. But for now I guess I'm just gonna play Skyrim because fuck it. This exhaustion needs to stop but I can't force it off. Today's made that clear.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #78032 on: July 05, 2014, 09:30:48 pm »

Social skills are not something you are born with, unless you have an actual physical disability such as autism - and even that, to my knowledge is only an obstacle, not an insurmountable barrier - they are a thing you learn. Yes, it might seem that some people are just naturals but... nope. It's just that you learn from the people around you when you are at a verrrrry young age by default, but that doesn't lock you out of anything.

There's stuff out there, preferably stuff that is actual science by actual scientists with actual figures and actual peer review, because there's also, as per Sturgeon's Law, a ton of utter junk, and a ton of the latter masquerading as the former, but it's out there, books, Internet, what-have-you.

To be totally honest, I have to disagree with the statement that there aren't people naturally skilled at them. Yes people learn as they grow and that can play a huge part, but some people simply have a knack for them that was not a result of upbringing. Seeing how I literally cannot remember anything before age 13, and how my parents were physically abusive and neglectful and how I spent most of my teenage years on the internet and not interacting with people out of choice. By your logic I should be utterly inept, however I'm quite the opposite, when I decided to go and interact with people irl, I was a natural. I instinctively knew how to fit into pretty much any situation and talk to anyone. No social anxiety whatsoever either.

There are naturals with everything. It's just how life works. Anyone claiming there aren't naturals is wrong in my opinion.
I'll poke a bit at your notice of 'knacks and inherent ideas'.
Nobody has a 'knack' for something. What 'knack' we're talking about is visible only in the results and not in how the person approaches the result--however what 'knack' exists is primarily in how the approach happens. The thoughts and how the person works with them in a situation. The idea of naturality in this sense is presented in the intangible part we all do yet not recognize due to how apparent it is and obvious it is, that we miss it.

Traits, talent, skills...call it whatever--all work with the approach stated. How a person 'approaches' a situation, to state as a picture.

Kevak, knowing you, you are a 'natural' in that sense because you...I'll be silly with this, 'transgress' (heh :P) the norms which destroy communication--you trust people and put your trust down in the fore as you speak with them. It's a fact which precludes the thoughts of many: trusting others. That's the first basic of true communication.

So basically the internet. Since that was my primary form of socialization for most of my life and the primary source of emotional support. By that logic the internet (or at least parts of it) is an amazing parent.

I don't think anyone irl actually did anything helpful for my growth. Nor did I interact with anyone until around 17ish.
The internet is a conglomeration of minds. A hivemind from an observer, yet composed of individuals who think for themselves--its a subtle line between speaking to specific people (thank you anonymity :V) and speaking to a general audience.
The internet can be an amazing parent.
It can also be the worst stews of humanity ever.

The differences lie in the minute details ._.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 09:33:23 pm by Tiruin »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78033 on: July 05, 2014, 09:34:09 pm »

It's a fact which precludes the thoughts of many: trusting others. That's the first basic of true communication.
This explains why I cannot form complete sentences without devolving into incomprehensible mumbling.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78034 on: July 05, 2014, 09:36:55 pm »

I possibly didn't use the best choice of words theres, but I think the idea gets across?

Edit: talking about the first part of the response. Not the ninjaedit about internet pseudo parent.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 09:40:22 pm by Kevak »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78035 on: July 05, 2014, 09:40:13 pm »

It's a fact which precludes the thoughts of many: trusting others. That's the first basic of true communication.
This explains why I cannot form complete sentences without devolving into incomprehensible mumbling.
Pffy :I
You trust others. :P
There's just other things in the way :/
Complex thing, that. But also simple.
Paradox of simplicity :P

I possibly didn't use the best choice of words theres, but I think the idea gets across?
. . .You did. o_o
Unless I interpreted it wrongly xD

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78036 on: July 05, 2014, 09:42:46 pm »

You interpreted it right, I just didn't really say it in a clear way.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78037 on: July 05, 2014, 09:44:10 pm »

Pffy :I
You trust others. :P
There's just other things in the way :/
Complex thing, that. But also simple.
Paradox of simplicity :P
You wish.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78038 on: July 05, 2014, 09:46:16 pm »

If I made that my birthday wish then? :3

But really, try observing how others speak or communicate. Even internet examples (as a general basic form). There's context beneath everything.

Especially in adjectives and how they're used. Much more subjective in their usage, but from the speaker's viewpoint it should match (or be near to) the defined meaning. And stuff and stuff~

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78039 on: July 05, 2014, 09:50:00 pm »

I think you confused problems with speaking with problems understanding a language.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78040 on: July 05, 2014, 09:51:25 pm »

...Speaking with problems understanding a language?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78041 on: July 05, 2014, 09:53:27 pm »

Gesundheit.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78042 on: July 05, 2014, 09:54:30 pm »

Speaking directly affects Internets and typing.

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #78043 on: July 05, 2014, 09:57:26 pm »

I beg to differ.  >:(
Take a closer look at this text!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78044 on: July 05, 2014, 10:01:07 pm »

I beg to differ.  >:(
What Lyeos said :P
There are differences with how one wishes to communicate in textual and verbal form (and pretty complicated, though doable, in explaining how). I'll use myself as an example--how I type here is like an 'advanced' form of how I speak in reality, due to previous [bad experience] in public speaking [ie Speaking in front of your whole class and teacher]...Due to [bad experience], verbal communication was, erm, stilted(?), yet the process on how words were formed was not affected.

Unless you make it that your typing equals how you pronounce things. :P (Sans emoticons and all unless you're being silly)
Pages: 1 ... 5201 5202 [5203] 5204 5205 ... 8156