Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6039 6040 [6041] 6042 6043 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8551980 times)

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #90600 on: March 25, 2015, 09:05:19 pm »

Oh, I wish I still had stuffed animals. :'(

All of mine were given away because my mom hates clutter. Or stolen...
My old favourite was a lemur with Velcro hands named Zaboomafoo who would hug me when I slept, then my cousin stole him and I cried myself to sleep for months afterwards. :(

He tried to make ear piercings for me with the knife, not kill me or anything... That still counts as an attack though right?
Well, you consented to it?
No! I ran away and hid in the storage cupboard above my bed...
0_0
Maybe not the best person to make this call, but calling CPS seems like a very, very good decision.

On the stuffed animals note: I own a stuffed white bengal tiger. I gave it the ever-ingenious name of...Tiger. Six year old me was bad at naming things, okay?!
Anyways, I don't usually sleep with him, though on particularly bad days, yes.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #90601 on: March 25, 2015, 09:08:50 pm »

He tried to make ear piercings for me with the knife, not kill me or anything... That still counts as an attack though right?
Well, you consented to it?
No! I ran away and hid in the storage cupboard above my bed...
That is definitely abuse. There's no other way to put that.  :-\
There really damn isn't. I wish I could help :<
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90602 on: March 25, 2015, 09:10:42 pm »

That is definitely abuse. There's no other way to put that.  :-\
This right here. I highly suggest getting in contact with your appropriate CPS organization.
:'(
*bearhug*
Kal, I sincerely hope you can get into a better situation soon.
^Couldn't agree more. Really hope this gets better for you, Kal.

For stuffed animals, I have an unnamed gorilla whose prized (and only) possession is a banana, and a dog named "Frupps"; naming him that might actually be my earliest memory. I recently gave away the plethora that I had when I was small, and I'm hoping that some other little kid will enjoy them as much as I did.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #90603 on: March 25, 2015, 09:15:26 pm »

Oh wow, yeah. Definitely with the CPS, though if you're in a province where you don't qualify maybe contacting authorities and reporting it as assault would work instead?

Alternatively, perhaps you should try telling your parents that you appreciate their trying to make you feel better and more like what you want (which seems to be their intention, in their own way...) but that they need to back off a bit? and let you come to them with what you feel you need? That would appear to be a good end if they concede and do so.

Best of luck with whatever course of action you decide to carry out, and hopefully it all works out.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90604 on: March 25, 2015, 09:19:18 pm »

I think people are taking this a bit out of context. We don't know how the father actually acted, and it could just be him blindfolding himself to the world through humor. My father used to come at me with a massive pair of ugly shears, saying he was gonna give me a haircut, but it wasn't an actual threat, and he was just being a tool, as dads are.

I dunno. I feel like Kaladin's parents are actually being really supportive (Dresses, piercings, etc), they're just terrible at it. So... can we not all jump on the 'All B12ers should hate their parents' bandwagon?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #90605 on: March 25, 2015, 10:46:07 pm »

i've been kinda ground down by this schedule i've got going

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90606 on: March 25, 2015, 11:08:33 pm »

Man, the weather today is kinda nasty.
I've got a bit of a sinus headache or something just from the cold wind smacking me in the face when I went to the shop.
No doubt my skin problems will take this as a bugle call to affix its windburn-bayonets and charge across my face as though it's the Somme.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90607 on: March 25, 2015, 11:13:34 pm »

-
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:08:20 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #90608 on: March 25, 2015, 11:15:21 pm »

I dunno. I feel like Kaladin's parents are actually being really supportive (Dresses, piercings, etc), they're just terrible at it. So... can we not all jump on the 'All B12ers should hate their parents' bandwagon?
My mom is kind of the opposite of supportive though. She has definitely told me I can't be a girl before, because I don't meet some standard of femininity that requires I have played with dolls as a child? I don't know why...

And my dad is just terrible at being supportive? I hope? He emailed me saying that he was just joking and I shouldn't get my ears pierced... and that I should come down from the storage cupboard because he won't stab me. :-[

And actually, I'm not allowed to wear dresses because they are "too girly"... The best I can get is androgynous stuff (at least that's what my dad says). :-\

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90609 on: March 25, 2015, 11:19:00 pm »

THREE CHEERS FOR LIBERAL CALIFORNIA

I dunno, the direct initiative thing they've got going there is pretty nice. I would hate to see it ruined by a precedent like "the attorney general doesn't like it, so it doesn't have to go through the treatment it is guaranteed by law to receive" because of what effectively comes down to people (however unwittingly) feeding the trolls.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90610 on: March 25, 2015, 11:19:29 pm »

THREE CHEERS FOR LIBERAL CALIFORNIA

Uh, I think you're posting in the wrong thread? How is Kamala Harris asking for permission to kill an obviously bigoted bill that was made by an obvious bigot a sad?

I like the last paragraph though.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90611 on: March 25, 2015, 11:21:26 pm »

My mom is kind of the opposite of supportive though. She has definitely told me I can't be a girl before, because I don't meet some standard of femininity that requires I have played with dolls as a child? I don't know why...

And my dad is just terrible at being supportive? I hope? He emailed me saying that he was just joking and I shouldn't get my ears pierced... and that I should come down from the storage cupboard because he won't stab me. :-[

And actually, I'm not allowed to wear dresses because they are "too girly"... The best I can get is androgynous stuff (at least that's what my dad says). :-\

Nothing wrong with the tomboy look honestly. But what the hell do I know about fashion anyway.....

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #90612 on: March 26, 2015, 12:06:02 am »

PFP

Maybe just talk to your dad about this, Kal? Seeing his past instances (which, out of context, can be taken as abuse...but that infers a ton in between), he does mean well. So does your mom--the thing is, how they go about with things has their reasoning behind it; that bit with your mom, what she said before, is more...pity(?), I believe? Given that's how she 'knows' how to work with things, it must be something she has experienced beforehand which affected her a lot.

Same with your dad: it seems he tried humor but...ehh.

Maybe do the direct approach before jumping off the springboard by how you personally perceive it? I'm feeling like there's a dissonance with intent at the moment, but that's me guessing. Talk to them about what they think, then have a nice conversation while carrying it on! Ask!

Also the only stuffed animal I treasured a ton to this day was a nice dalmatian named 'Wizzer' on his blue collar. It was a gift from my nephew when I was 7. I did not sleep with any other kind of thing, other than one pillow all nights beforehand.
Then I had an stuffed orca, as a souvenir as a gift.

They are still present until the current day, and I'm wondering on giving it to my niece, who just turned 3. Wait, yes...must do it...argh the memories ._.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #90613 on: March 26, 2015, 12:21:11 am »

+1 to Tiruin as well, if you haven't done that.

That said I'd like to iterate again that you shouldn't be afraid to get them involved if you feel you need to. It's better to get help involved when it can still do some good, even if the problems are still fairly small, then to wait until they become so big they are incurable. I've also known people who really needed help, yet kept putting it off and saying that if they waited a little bit and tried just a little harder without help things would get better. Asking your parent and confronting them is great, but don't be afraid to go to help if you decide you need it.

Best of luck with this, and know that we're here supporting you as best as we can. :)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #90614 on: March 26, 2015, 12:29:01 am »

Yeah, what Tiruin said. 

I can't even imagine what you're going through, though.  I hope your parents (well, mostly your dad) are trying to be supportive, and are just expressing it poorly.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 6039 6040 [6041] 6042 6043 ... 8155