Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6054 6055 [6056] 6057 6058 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8595342 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #90825 on: March 30, 2015, 08:13:10 am »

I don't think work ethic is a genetic trait.
If it is, please prove it to me so that I can feel that somehow my position in life isn't my fault.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #90826 on: March 30, 2015, 08:42:35 am »

Not just work ethic in my case, i'm afraid. Genetic or not, i feel like i'm missing a lot of qualities that would make my existence an awful lot easier. :I (things like basic life knowledge and Advanced Butt Clenching)

Do a webcomic.

Facenomicon needs love.
Oh yes definitely, but the problem is that even comics get less interesting for me to make as time passes. I intend to finish Faceonomicon, but past that? I have no idea.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #90827 on: March 30, 2015, 08:56:36 am »

There's one particular "Cracked" columnist whose columns I can readily identify for their sagely, golden-mean-posterboy bullcrap. Like starting to read it and think "Hey, this crap sounds familiar", and presto.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #90828 on: March 30, 2015, 09:20:24 am »

Have a constitutional law exam today, need to be up at 9, insomnia keeps me up until about 8. Today, being Bauglir is suffering.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #90829 on: March 30, 2015, 09:27:14 am »

Oh and also insomnia. I slept like... 4 hours? yesterday.

I'll probably drop by workplace health sometime tomorrow and try to get a medical report on this. Not because I expect magic bullets (at this point I've almost given up on doing anything but patching it up haphazardly), but given that I'm likely to become an expat in the near future I'm concerned of being stuck without sleeping aids somewhere where they are not OTC and/or things are more stringent about writing my own prescriptions.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90830 on: March 30, 2015, 09:44:57 am »

If it wasn't for the fact that I need to use my remaining absences for events next month I would just go home and skip school so I could get some sleep.  Even when I get home, since my sleep schedule is fucked in nine different ways, I won't be able to get a decent amount of sleep before something wakes me up, I'm unable to go back to sleep for several hours, and suddenly I'm in the exact same situation that caused me to lose sleep in the first place.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #90831 on: March 30, 2015, 10:03:31 am »

Wait till you're being reamed with shift lag.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #90832 on: March 30, 2015, 10:11:02 am »

Odd. I also slept 4-hourish due to insomnia, if at all, I honestly can't tell, and so did a person I know.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #90833 on: March 30, 2015, 10:21:01 am »

Ugh, last night i found myself thinking of my future again, and how bleak it looks to me. So far, there doesn't seem to be anything that i'd be able to do for 8 hours a day 5 days a week, barring a few video games that are interesting enough (which probably isn't going to make me a living or any kind of money whatsoever). I just seem to quickly get bored of almost everything i've tried so far (which, admittedly, isn't all that much). :/
It also really doesn't help that i'm not the hard working type, which seems to be a hugely advantageous trait in this world. My interests seem to flutter around like a confused butterfly, and rarely does it ever land on something that would actually help me in the long run. I mean, drawing and programming are nice hobbies so far, but programming doesn't seem like something i could do for 8 hours every day, and drawing requires a shit ton of time and effort in order to be money-tier, and i'm generally not patient enough for that. It's starting to feel like the Great Stat Roll(tm) has landed all my points in what would otherwise be dump stats. >.>
Not just work ethic in my case, i'm afraid. Genetic or not, i feel like i'm missing a lot of qualities that would make my existence an awful lot easier. :I (things like basic life knowledge and Advanced Butt Clenching)
Shook, stop being me. If this keeps up we'll have no choice but to fuse into a single giant mecha and burninate the countryside.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #90834 on: March 30, 2015, 10:22:38 am »

Ignorant people in general make me sad, especially people who think that the Internet is only good for Facebook and mindless entertainment. You have access to nearly the entirety of human knowledge because you can beam information to a manmade construction in orbit above Earth. That alone is pretty freaking cool IMO. It is the greatest tool for scientific collaboration and every medium for art (movies, text, images, etc.) blended into one. Lonely people can form friendships that last a lifetime with total strangers because they were shoved together in an MMORPG. Services like Google Translate let people from different countries talk to eachother, and while it doesn't always work perfectly we're still better off for its existence.

As somebody who feels that digital technology (especially the Internet) is potentially the greatest force for good that has existed in the history of mankind, it's astounding how blind some people can be to its power. I literally learned (very basic) rocket science because I downloaded a videogame on a whim. The possibilities are literally endless. And there are still people who think that we're better off without it. To me, that idea is like the paradox that destroys a supercomputer in an old science fiction serial; it's a thought so utterly confounding that I can't tear myself away from it. And it makes me very sad.

A lot of those people probably have something to gain from the general populace being ignorant.

(To be fair however, the internet does have the issue that it can also be a powerful means of spreading false knowledge such as vaccine paranoia, climate denialism, the new age, and accusations that the president is an undocumented immigrant)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #90835 on: March 30, 2015, 11:24:18 am »

Throbbing headache~
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #90836 on: March 30, 2015, 11:55:45 am »

Lost my voice @ work in the past hour, already had to explain several things to boss (via wrighting) about how I feel and yes I can still work.

So frustrating, and my depression pills are getting low AND wearing off so no voice is even worse.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #90837 on: March 30, 2015, 11:56:54 am »

Someone would appear to have abandoned a puppy. Cute little rottweiler/something mutt, very friendly, obviously used to being around people and in houses. Noisy as goddamn when it's not around people -- it was raising a very significant fuss (i.e. it woke me up like five times) from basically 8-ish PM to something like 3 AM, all up and down a good chunk of the road outside the house -- but that's fairly normal for a puppy, especially one that just got abandoned. Also teething a bit and probably could stand something of a bath, but eh.

People living here won't be able to keep it, I won't be able to keep it, family won't, etc., etc. Maybe it's just been misplaced, but someone was looking to offload a puppy a day or two ago and, well. Probably not.

Fairly good odds it ends up in the pound (i.e. dead), though. Unfortunate. Also irritating. If you're going to condemn a dog to death, just goddamn do it, either via pound or bullet. Don't foist putting it down onto someone else or set it out to starve or get run over.

E: Though it looks like one of my cousins might actually be interested. Which would be nice -- thing's cute as a button, will probably grow up into a very nice looking dog that's not too big, and is already fairly responsive to leashes and whatnot. Mutt best dog, as usual. Would be shame to have it put to sleep :-\
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 12:13:07 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90838 on: March 30, 2015, 12:18:53 pm »

Fairly good odds it ends up in the pound (i.e. dead)
So, you're saying the British currency is literally made from dead puppies? Not that I'm surprised or anything.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #90839 on: March 30, 2015, 12:23:40 pm »

Odd. I also slept 4-hourish due to insomnia, if at all, I honestly can't tell, and so did a person I know.
Wait. Did we all have insomnia at the same time?
Pages: 1 ... 6054 6055 [6056] 6057 6058 ... 8156