Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6095 6096 [6097] 6098 6099 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8573507 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #91440 on: April 09, 2015, 07:47:23 am »

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 06:32:02 pm by penguinofhonor »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91441 on: April 09, 2015, 08:31:10 am »

You can't make the assumption that the girlfriend in this...
Eh. I've got nothing to say here.
I'm not a part of that clique and I don't want to immediately start going devil's advocate for them just so that I can defend spousal abuse to you, who seems to already have your mind made up.
I personally feel that bondage is like chocolate. Great with everything, amazing by itself, Fun with Icecream. But too much and you'll become sick.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 08:32:41 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #91442 on: April 09, 2015, 08:35:09 am »

I personally feel that bondage is like chocolate. Great with everything, amazing by itself, Fun with Icecream. But too much and you'll become sick.
I don't even care if this is bait, OOCQ.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 08:36:42 am by David The Master »
In a time before time, I had a name.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91443 on: April 09, 2015, 08:36:46 am »

Dude just needs some business cards saying "It's a kink thing."
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #91444 on: April 09, 2015, 08:37:10 am »

I remember having a conversation with a particularly "special" 'American of Irish descent' [sic] where he expressed puzzlement as to why people looked down on Imperialism. After all, for millennia superior civilizations have conquered lesser ones, imparting better education, healthcare, engineering and science even if to only better utilize and exploit native resources. Give it a few thousand years and everyone will look back with relish and fondness of the great European Empires, then American Empire and then whatever follows that - after all, the Romans are universally agreed to have been the best thing since anything invented by the Romans.
I can see why my brain brought that memory up, why it would bring up a macrocosmic conundrum in relation to me seeing my area develop. I took a walk out today and it was absolutely gorgeous. The sun was out without being scorching, and as it reflected into the green waters I was reminded of a stroll by a Malaysian reservoir where the only sound was the buzzing of flies and birds and the world didn't need a purpose. I was struck back by the huge fish that swam in the Albion channel, where once the fish were only the size of fingers and had tumors, growing up in waters regularly infested by blue-green algae, pondweed and foreign bacteria imported by Thames Water to kill the former two. When I went down to lower road to pick up 4 pints, I was amazed when I walked past the neatly-trimmed hedgerows that once rendered the footpath unusable, and into the council center where the whole place was alive with the chatter of smartly-dressed individuals and shining buildings that made the whole place look like some high-end central London district, and the amount of traffic was beginning to reflect that. On my way back I remembered all my old favourite stores and restaurants, of which all have now since closed down and been replaced by retailers, and laughed at something tragically hilarious. KCL was building a new campus or something over a tract of wasteland that was only occupied by trees and patrol dogs for the news factory a bit further up from there, and some other local chaps had graffiti'd some of the most polite protestations I'd ever seen onto the barriers the construction workers were using to keep the riff raff out. Things like 'more trees, less police,' 'respect the people' and after the French were attacked 'je suis Charlie.' Someone had actually looked at that and thought to paint over it all with black paint just to deprive them of that one small act.
Honestly I don't know what I'm so sad about. The great big powers that be have chucked millions, if not billions of pounds into the area and the area is now objectively better. There's a great big library that people actually use, several cafes which are nothing short of bursting with life, for the first time ever I've seen hipsters and businessmen in the area (not a good thing in of itself, but they are a sign of money), the old gangs are pretty much all dead or have been pushed into Peckham (even quite recently they shut down a weed plantation in Bermondsey), other than the monthly shooting or stabbing no one dies, developments are being made on a phenomenal scale (with a close call being to the construction crew who dug into a WWII bomb), house values are going up and even the shopping centers have been bought out by the Arabs after Tesco went to financial shitters, and the Arabs are sign #2 of money interchangeable with Russians, the French and Chinese. The only thing left is to actually have a local GP that isn't total shit and to have good schools and this place would be downright utopian.
Yet I still feel at odds with this. Perhaps it's general resistance to change, like finding out the old gas holder outside my house is going to be demolished, with the area losing its last industrial and ironically, imperial heritage. I find it extremely disturbing when figureheads start championing diversity whilst desperately doing their best to try and make everywhere from Jamaica street to Canada water look absolutely the fucking same.
There was never some great realization one day where I noticed this happening, it's been going on for the better part of two decades and each time I grew to accept each change.
At least with all this money in the area they might finally build a fucking bridge to the north in the east. I actually walked through Rotherhithe tunnel once. Emphasis on once, as the TFL estimate that only 20 pedestrians use Rotherhithe tunnel to cross the Thames a day compared to tens of thousands of cars. And in all honesty, I'd expect that number to be much lower. It was worth it just for the bemused looks of drivers and it's not something I would've done without a banterous friend, but on the way I passed an old iron stairway midway that was closed down due to damage from WWII that was never repaired. Fitting that such historical artifacts are either trapped underground where only 20 people will see it, or forged into metal maps of a dockyard sitting atop hills, maps of a dockyard that no longer exists.
But that was a while ago, and this is now. Walking home... I remember talking about how Willows were never negative trees or just symbols of decay to me; they were always the trees which leaned over Albion's waters, where under I could sit through the sun and sit through the rain, whose locks of leaf-life hair were a comfortable sight for me for when I returned home in day or dark.
And as I returned home I saw a neat, bright, green, pristine and clean grass lawn, only broken up by one irregular patch where there was a Willow tree's stump.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #91445 on: April 09, 2015, 08:37:27 am »

I didn't even know being against BDSM was a thing.

I guess everyone needs something to bash on.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91446 on: April 09, 2015, 08:42:52 am »

Dude just needs some business cards saying "It's a kink thing."
T-Shirt maybe?

I didn't even know being against BDSM was a thing.
I guess everyone needs something to bash on.
It's a society that (at the shadier end) revolves around pain and humiliation.
Lots of people could see it in a bad light.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91447 on: April 09, 2015, 08:44:04 am »

Yea, it's really not something you'd want your kid to be into.
Why not? As long as it doesn't go out of hand... There are plenty things that are worse, even completely vanilla ones.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #91448 on: April 09, 2015, 08:52:19 am »

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 06:32:06 pm by penguinofhonor »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #91449 on: April 09, 2015, 08:55:07 am »

Yea, it's really not something you'd want your kid to be into.
Why not? As long as it doesn't go out of hand... There are plenty things that are worse, even completely vanilla ones.
You know, I was thinking about sad things. Then you reminded me of that time Anons posted a picture of a girl, couldn't be older than 3, wearing a dog collar in a San Francisco Pride event; now I am thinking only of rage.

So yes, it's not. Same with drinking, promiscuity, dishonesty and every other vice under the sun. Whether it's inevitable or no, one should not be pouring industrial lubricant onto the slippery slope.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #91450 on: April 09, 2015, 08:56:53 am »

I should stop beating myself.

But now it seems like I actually enjoy it...
Yes, you should.
I'm start to feel a relationship between derails and main posts, so, change subject, shall we?

In a time before time, I had a name.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91451 on: April 09, 2015, 09:02:35 am »

I'm sad because I complained about a bad movie and no-one agreed with me.
IT WAS AWFUL OKAY :'(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #91452 on: April 09, 2015, 09:04:46 am »

I'm sad because I complained about a bad movie and no-one agreed with me.
IT WAS AWFUL OKAY :'(
And my area is decaying into wealth :'(

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91453 on: April 09, 2015, 09:09:42 am »

In regards to the whole BSDM thing:
BSDM is kind of a mixed, dark bag of shady things mixed with a strange idea of sexual liberation. While I'm sure there are SOME people out there that do it in a mostly safe manner with people they have an actual bond with, it seems the greater majority of people who promote it and "practice" will often miss the point entirely and get in arguments with people that have suffered actual abuse, and also expose others to abuse by trying to garner social acceptance by making BSDM a more open and supposedly "safe" thing to the general public, which is actualy very dangerous for many reasons.

One example of how BSDM has been exposing curious and naive people to real abuse is the whole "dungeon" phenomena. IE, some BSDM enthusiast builds a BSDM den in their house and starts inviting people to it so they can be taught by "professional" dominators and participate in "sessions". Keep in mind these terms are widely used in the BSDM community and have VERY loose meanings (IE a professional domme can be anything from a real therapist or sex worker to a a person who hit his/her girlfriend/boyfriend a few times and enjoyed it). So, dungeons are basically places were people host BSDM parties at, and were you can meet people who are into bsdm and be tied up, beat, whipped in a SUPPOSEDLY "controlled" environment. These dungeons often have people who are there to act as "security", IE to keep anyone from getting hurt, but keep in mind theres absolutely no guarantees.

I personally have a friend who was actualy practicing BSDM for a while and stopped after a guy she met in a dungeon started asking her to participate in "private" sessions as a submissive. This guy was much larger then her, so if he ever tied her up and there was nobody else around, she would have no chance of resisting anything. When she asked other people from said dungeon, they just told her to go along with it and "she might just like it". She quit shortly after.

In fact, not too long ago, I read an article that mentioned a real case in which one of the guys who was a regular member in a private BSDM dungeon was arrested for several charges of pedophilia. It also quoted another case in which one of the guys who volunteered and provided "security" in a well known dungeon got charged by three different women for abuse and attempted rape.

Not only that, there's the whole worship of "submissives". Submissive behavior is very encouraged in BSDM communities and there's a whole net of indoctrination on how "suffering and pain can be liberating and uplifting". Rape victims are even encouraged to participate in "simulated rape", with the excuse that reenacting an abusive experience is good therapy, a highly controversial topic among psychiatrists and there's no evidence that reliving a sexualy abusive experience is anything but harmful, due to the special dynamics involved in sexual abuse that set it apart from other kinds of abuse.

TL;DR: there's nothing any BSDM enthusiast has ever said or done that have made me believe, thus far, that BSDM doesn't just enforce harmful practices, abusive, dangerous behavior and teaching abuse victims that they should enjoy being hurt and abused.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91454 on: April 09, 2015, 09:23:25 am »

If all that is true and representative, then that would make BDSM like communism.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 6095 6096 [6097] 6098 6099 ... 8156