Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6477 6478 [6479] 6480 6481 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8573078 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #97170 on: September 16, 2015, 11:10:00 am »

While not entirely related, its kinda kinda hard to blame people for not forgetting about 9/11, though the whole thing with the muslim boy was the result of huge fearmongering.

I don't see any meaningful difference between those protesters and Westboro Baptist protestors
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97171 on: September 16, 2015, 11:13:19 am »

And yet, if you make a twitter post about how Westboro Baptists are insane, nobody will you out, and might even support you. Now, if you make a post about radical muslims being insane, hoo boy, you're in for a mountain of posts about how you're supposedly accusing all muslims of being violent, being racist, etc.

Also, radical muslims compose a much larger and more dangerous group than the entirety of the Westboro Baptists.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97172 on: September 16, 2015, 11:16:45 am »

I feel sorry for this poor kid, but the article didn't show any pictures of the clock.
Ahmed’s clock was hardly his most elaborate creation. He said he threw it together in about 20 minutes before bedtime on Sunday: a circuit board and power supply wired to a digital display, all strapped inside a case with a tiger hologram on the front.

According to Business Insider, here's a picture of a box "like the one Ahmed used for his clock".  Even has a holograph on it, so maybe the same model?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The teacher heard this thing *beep* in the backpack, and made him pull it out.  It's full of hand-soldered electronics and a digital display.  "It's a clock" isn't enough explanation.  I don't blame the teacher at all.  Or the kid.  Sometimes unfortunate misunderstandings happen and nobody's to blame.

It sounds like the police way overreacted though.  Cuffs and fingerprints?  WTF?  Unless he was being uncooperative (he *is* 14) but I don't think he was.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97173 on: September 16, 2015, 11:19:07 am »

And yet, if you make a twitter post about how Westboro Baptists are insane, nobody will you out, and might even support you. Now, if you make a post about radical muslims being insane, hoo boy, you're in for a mountain of posts about how you're supposedly accusing all muslims of being violent, being racist, etc.

Also, radical muslims compose a much larger and more dangerous group than the entirety of the Westboro Baptists.

I don't use twitter. The people on it are a bunch of twits.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #97174 on: September 16, 2015, 11:20:34 am »

I... I actually have no words.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #97175 on: September 16, 2015, 11:24:38 am »

"It's a clock" isn't enough explanation.
It's exactly enough explanation. That's what it is. What needs to be added?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97176 on: September 16, 2015, 11:26:10 am »

I feel sorry for this poor kid, but the article didn't show any pictures of the clock.

They do, (or at least they show him with something I think might be it) but it's kind of hidden off to the side and not labeled. When the casing was open it had exposed circuit boards (and an exposed speaker), presumably being digital, but I've never known circuit boards (or speakers) to explode outside of cartoons. At worst a severely overstressed and defective unit might catch fire, but even that is quite rare.

EDIT:

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 11:30:46 am by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97177 on: September 16, 2015, 11:30:48 am »

Well, just saying "its a clock" to an object full of soldered up electronical components inside a metal casing that ocasionally beeps and has numerical counters to a teacher in an american school full of kids isn't really the best explanation ever, to be honest. Maybe an electrical engineer or a bomb squad member might be able to tell what it is right off the bat, but not normal people. If anything, it didn't show any apparent payload.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97178 on: September 16, 2015, 11:31:35 am »

Circuit boards don't explode.

EDIT:
A peanut butter and jelly sandwich or a dish of Jell-o has a better chance of being a bomb. The jelly could be colored gelignite.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 11:35:36 am by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97179 on: September 16, 2015, 11:31:48 am »

It does look kinda suss. Like a prop bomb you'd see someone defusing in a Hollywood film. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #97180 on: September 16, 2015, 11:35:07 am »

I have seen the Cape Town High Court closed down, the area cordoned off, and a bomb squad called because someone left a suitcase leaning against the wall before. It's not entirely a 'he's Muslim' thing.

It's bloody stupid, and given that this is America we're talking about it's probably ninety percent that he's Muslim, but I've seen this happen in cases with less to suggest it was a bomb/other weapon.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #97181 on: September 16, 2015, 11:35:30 am »

I don't, I'm biased against it :v! Mostly an issue of syncretism, but thats not a problem in all neopagan circles. Neopaganism is a really broad term that I probably make incorrect use of most of the time.

Oh, hehe :P

I'm likewise biased, only against every single religion :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97182 on: September 16, 2015, 11:39:09 am »

I don't, I'm biased against it :v! Mostly an issue of syncretism, but thats not a problem in all neopagan circles. Neopaganism is a really broad term that I probably make incorrect use of most of the time.

And stuff that's not only been flat out made up, but made up in an era when people should know better. Wicca is particularly representative of this.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #97183 on: September 16, 2015, 12:07:41 pm »

Ha, nice.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #97184 on: September 16, 2015, 12:43:18 pm »

While we're talking about Twitter and the clock...

Quote from: Obama
Cool clock, Ahmed. Want to bring it to the White House? We should inspire more kids like you to like science. It's what makes America great.

Possibly actually Obama, probably a PR person running the Twitter account.

'It's what makes America great.™'

Pages: 1 ... 6477 6478 [6479] 6480 6481 ... 8156