Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6485 6486 [6487] 6488 6489 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8606987 times)

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #97290 on: September 20, 2015, 10:31:51 pm »

See you later, dad.

I'll miss you.
* Kevak hugs
* ShadowHammer adds hugs too

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97291 on: September 20, 2015, 11:07:38 pm »

* Tack lends a manly shoulder-pat
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #97292 on: September 20, 2015, 11:40:42 pm »

My condolences, Derm.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97293 on: September 21, 2015, 04:54:15 am »

Can't sleep, too tired.

Bloody naps. -_-
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #97294 on: September 21, 2015, 05:23:50 am »

Aren't they mostly lactose intolerant anyway

Also can"')t sleep wwke up in 4 hours yeehaw

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #97295 on: September 21, 2015, 12:16:36 pm »

My cat is really sick :c

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #97296 on: September 21, 2015, 01:35:06 pm »

Aren't they mostly lactose intolerant anyway
Supposedly. But most Chinese dairy products (even liquid milk) are usually reconstituted from powdered milk, which I believe breaks down a lot of the lactose. Dairy products are something of a luxury item in China, and the growing middle-class is consuming a hell of a lot of it, the same way that beef consumption in the US rose dramatically post-WWII.

And Helgo nailed it as far as the melamine poisoning and why that got into the milk. Basically, you can water the milk down then lace it with melamine to make it look like the real deal.
My guess on import reductions is partly increasing domestic production and partly the moderate weakening of the Chinese economy.

@derm: My condolences. Lost my mom about a year ago this time, although in my case it wasn't much of a loss.  :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97297 on: September 21, 2015, 08:07:46 pm »

http://www.popsugar.com/moms/Little-Girl-Gets-Trouble-Writing-Cursive-38503998

Any teacher tries this with one of my relatives and they're going to get an earful....

Idiocracy was a movie and seemingly a documentary.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #97298 on: September 21, 2015, 08:12:54 pm »

First calculus test tomorrow. I probably could've studied more. I do not feel terribly confident about this test.

Feels like I'm waiting for my execution, man.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97299 on: September 21, 2015, 08:13:40 pm »

First calculus test tomorrow. I probably could've studied more. I do not feel terribly confident about this test.

GL on that.  Currently taking a Calc course myself.  It hasn't gotten out of review yet though, which is kind of odd.  Eh.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #97300 on: September 21, 2015, 08:18:43 pm »

GL on that.  Currently taking a Calc course myself.  It hasn't gotten out of review yet though, which is kind of odd.  Eh.
I'm probably assuming the worst. I've attended all classes and kept up with homework, so it's not like I was skipping class and slacking.

But at the same time I don't think I'll ace it. Which might as well be failing, as far as my perfectionism is concerned.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #97301 on: September 21, 2015, 08:41:59 pm »

Cursive should be purged from our society. By force if necessary.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #97302 on: September 21, 2015, 08:45:48 pm »

http://www.popsugar.com/moms/Little-Girl-Gets-Trouble-Writing-Cursive-38503998

Any teacher tries this with one of my relatives and they're going to get an earful....

Idiocracy was a movie and seemingly a documentary.

First, the name on that paper is nearly illegible -writing that a teacher can't read is useless, and a teacher has every right to set standard style requirements for work in their classroom.

Second, cursive is worthless.
Study after study has found that there is not any significant benefit to cursive writing - students that have learned only the manuscript (print) style outperform students who learned only cursive writing by roughly 30% in speed and around 95% in legibility. The only benefit cursive ever had was a relic of outmoded technology - old style pens had a tendency to drip if removed from the page and blot on contact, so cursive writing reduced the chances for that to happen mid-word. Nowadays, pens never drip (at least, not the sort that ordinary folks use in their day to day life), so this problem does not exist. There were benefits to cursive in transitioning to shorthand, but as shorthand is essentially a dead art those also no longer apply.

There is also no legal requirement -anywhere- for signatures to be in cursive.

Cursive should have died a long, long time ago - nobody benefits from knowing how to write it, and knowing how to read it is of limited value, as the historical documents written in cursive have mostly been transcribed (and often have a different style in the first place), so the only people who need it are folks that have to deal with the original copies of things.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #97303 on: September 21, 2015, 09:00:49 pm »

I'm so sorry Derm, you have my well wishes and condolences.

I have tests and stuff everyday this week starting tomorrow.

I am not prepared for most.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #97304 on: September 21, 2015, 09:28:03 pm »

Personally I like cursive for signatures because it lets each signature be more unique. Nobody else is going to write my signature quite the same why I do, where with print there is much less uniqueness.

Though in general writing the only cursive letter that I actually approve of is a modified lowercase 'k' (starting with a downstroke rather than a up->down), since, as a person who writes a lot of lowercase k's (I have to write two every time I write my name), I find them much faster and easier to write than the normal ones, since each of the three strokes flows one into another rather than requiring a lifting and moving of the pen between each stroke.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 6485 6486 [6487] 6488 6489 ... 8156