Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6486 6487 [6488] 6489 6490 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8609993 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #97305 on: September 21, 2015, 09:35:30 pm »

Yeah, the only cursive I still remember is enough cursive to sign my name. And only the lower case letters. I just do print for uppercase letters, it works, whatevs.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #97306 on: September 21, 2015, 09:37:31 pm »

My signature is less my name and more "~~~~~~~~~".
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97307 on: September 21, 2015, 09:51:03 pm »

My father and I apparently have some serious ideological differences. Now I'm left wondering where I went wrong with him.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #97308 on: September 21, 2015, 10:10:44 pm »

http://www.popsugar.com/moms/Little-Girl-Gets-Trouble-Writing-Cursive-38503998

Any teacher tries this with one of my relatives and they're going to get an earful....

Idiocracy was a movie and seemingly a documentary.
The comment section is what makes me sad. All these people saying the teacher should be fired, etc.

It says "several warnings". Maybe the girl should just, y'know, follow the teacher's instructions? Try writing your signature in cursive on the "Print Name" field of a legal document and see where that gets you.

Edit: And apparently the military veteran part is BS?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 10:20:49 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #97309 on: September 21, 2015, 10:40:25 pm »

First, the name on that paper is nearly illegible -writing that a teacher can't read is useless, and a teacher has every right to set standard style requirements for work in their classroom.
You could have just said you can't read it because her letters are good. Only the 'l' is a problem in that it is far too short and so looks like an 'e'.
Cursive should have died a long, long time ago - nobody benefits from knowing how to write it, and knowing how to read it is of limited value, as the historical documents written in cursive have mostly been transcribed (and often have a different style in the first place), so the only people who need it are folks that have to deal with the original copies of things.
Except people who deal with dyslexics. It is much harder to misplace letters in a word when they are fucking connected.

The comment section is what makes me sad. All these people saying the teacher should be fired, etc.
Agreed.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #97310 on: September 21, 2015, 10:47:04 pm »

Except people who deal with dyslexics. It is much harder to misplace letters in a word when they are fucking connected.
Half my family is dyslexic - my cousin almost failed elementary school (25 years ago) because letters made no sense to her when they were fucking connected.

EDIT:
Yale university claims that cursive is inherently bad for dyxlexics, and recommends that it be replaced with typing.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 10:50:44 pm by Lord Shonus »
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97311 on: September 21, 2015, 10:53:11 pm »

Yeah. I can tell you from personal experience that cursive does nothing for these issues... And, it actually doesn't really make sense. The letters are connected, sure, but it's not like they are.... Made to follow subsequently (any letter can connect to any other letter anyway right...) or whatever. I'm actually not sure how it could possibly help at all.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #97312 on: September 21, 2015, 10:57:51 pm »

apologies and thanks
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #97313 on: September 21, 2015, 11:21:13 pm »

I am actually crying right now

like, blubbering

out loud, tears, sniffling

Due to fiction

I said Steven Universe made me cry, and that was a few tears, one or two, not too much emotion

Undertale is making me openly emotional, in a way that I haven't actually felt in years

HOW

EDIT: Oh, I probed my thoughts to see if I could find any particular thing that's causing me to cry, going over all that.

It's because I moved away and don't have anyone to talk about it with.

...That's significantly sadder than I first thought.

EDIT: It's because I'm not getting to see my brother experience it for the first time.

My emotional reaction to that exact statement tells me that that is pretty much exactly what's going on.

I had to play it alone and I do not want my brother to.

Holy SHIT that is cheesy
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 11:26:44 pm by Putnam »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #97314 on: September 22, 2015, 05:36:00 am »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #97315 on: September 22, 2015, 05:43:15 am »

Page not found. It's been removed?
Love, scriver~

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97316 on: September 22, 2015, 05:43:41 am »

http://www.popsugar.com/moms/Little-Girl-Gets-Trouble-Writing-Cursive-38503998

Any teacher tries this with one of my relatives and they're going to get an earful....

Idiocracy was a movie and seemingly a documentary.

First, the name on that paper is nearly illegible -writing that a teacher can't read is useless, and a teacher has every right to set standard style requirements for work in their classroom.

Second, cursive is worthless.
Study after study has found that there is not any significant benefit to cursive writing - students that have learned only the manuscript (print) style outperform students who learned only cursive writing by roughly 30% in speed and around 95% in legibility. The only benefit cursive ever had was a relic of outmoded technology - old style pens had a tendency to drip if removed from the page and blot on contact, so cursive writing reduced the chances for that to happen mid-word. Nowadays, pens never drip (at least, not the sort that ordinary folks use in their day to day life), so this problem does not exist. There were benefits to cursive in transitioning to shorthand, but as shorthand is essentially a dead art those also no longer apply.

There is also no legal requirement -anywhere- for signatures to be in cursive.

Cursive should have died a long, long time ago - nobody benefits from knowing how to write it, and knowing how to read it is of limited value, as the historical documents written in cursive have mostly been transcribed (and often have a different style in the first place), so the only people who need it are folks that have to deal with the original copies of things.

Adaptability. Learning a new way to write your own language helps prepare for learning other languages. Also the ... I'm not sure what else to call it but "hatred" for cursive is alarming. The kid signed her name in cursive, (not bad penwomanship for a 7 year old who just learned it, probably without thinking about it, not a terrible crime. It doesn't hurt anything or anyone, but the teacher is giving her crap for it. Doesn't have anything better to do?

It also isn't a "disobedience" issue, because the kid is torn between the teacher and her mother saying opposite things. She's got this teacher for maybe a year, 2nd or 3rd grade, and her mom for life. It's the same deal with "common core" and the new new math. They're reinventing the wheel for no reason, and doing it badly while inventing fake studies to support their agenda.

We're not teaching kids practical life skills, or employable traits, or even how to balance a checkbook. If it isn't on a standardized test, then nobody cares.

Meanwhile, dialog has "completely died and turned into an undead horror" in the US. Communication skills with polite conversation are basically gone, and this is allegedly "cheaper," and thus a good thing.

We're all just shouting past each other using increasingly inflammatory wording with no meaningful value. Meanwhile, everything is going to hell in a handbasket.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #97317 on: September 22, 2015, 06:15:00 am »

Learning cursive certainly never helped me learn Spanish.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #97318 on: September 22, 2015, 06:20:24 am »

Page not found. It's been removed?
TL;DR: A better love story than Twilight.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #97319 on: September 22, 2015, 07:42:36 am »

I would definitely support replacing all cursive education with something that teaches a useful skill.
Pages: 1 ... 6486 6487 [6488] 6489 6490 ... 8156