Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 826 827 [828] 829 830 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8551146 times)

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #12405 on: September 14, 2010, 03:37:39 pm »

To Armok, everything is a joke.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12406 on: September 14, 2010, 03:39:23 pm »

Seriously? Like, the profession people use as an example of genius-demanding professions?
That's...that's astounding, actually. Wow. I guess the math major makes sense now, heh...

Yeah, basically--a satellite engineer, though now he's in management.  For extra hilarity, he couldn't figure out my 6th grade homework on imaginary numbers.  The teacher said: "You know, Vector, it doesn't take a rocket scientist."  I got to reply "Well, actually...."
They teach imaginary numbers in 6th grade? I'm in 10th and I still haven't heard any of my teachers say anything about imaginary numbers.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #12407 on: September 14, 2010, 03:39:59 pm »

To Armok, everything is a joke.

Besides himself and what he believes in. Kinda funny. He's got everything in reverse.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12408 on: September 14, 2010, 03:41:37 pm »

I should mention that I wasn't condoning acting like a dumbass in text adventures, only pointing out that it seems to be all the rage.
Shoes...

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #12409 on: September 14, 2010, 03:46:21 pm »

It seems to be problem after problem with my computer. First I had to install a copy of Vista to my backup HD, then I had problems with the internet. Now I have no sound. Bleh.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #12410 on: September 14, 2010, 03:49:53 pm »

I wonder if you have the same off and on problem I do. That being Audiosrv getting hung on something and needing to be restarted.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12411 on: September 14, 2010, 03:52:12 pm »

They teach imaginary numbers in 6th grade? I'm in 10th and I still haven't heard any of my teachers say anything about imaginary numbers.

It was eighth, sorry.  My mistake.  I seem to remember sixth grade being all about different kinds of graphs and numbers, but I have no idea when I was introduced to i.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12412 on: September 14, 2010, 03:54:22 pm »

but I have no idea when I was introduced to i.

That belongs in the Out of Context thread.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12413 on: September 14, 2010, 03:57:00 pm »

What age does 8th grade correspond to?
I haven't even heard of i until univerisity(might be exaggerating a bit), and I don't think that our education system is somehow behind the rest of the world.

WhiskerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12414 on: September 14, 2010, 04:00:26 pm »

It was eighth, sorry.  My mistake.  I seem to remember sixth grade being all about different kinds of graphs and numbers, but I have no idea when I was introduced to i.
huh, my eighth grade math class was filled with an assortment of crazy things due to having an awesome teacher, which i fear went over most student's heads. ignoring the sporadic tangents into philosophy and morality (also playing a huge game of mafia once) i seem to have forgotten most of it. how sad.

i vaguely recall sixth grade consisting mostly of changing a number in one base into a different base. and long division, too, somewhere amidst that.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12415 on: September 14, 2010, 04:01:52 pm »

Eighth /is/ pretty early. I was introduced to complex  numbers, and then i when I thought I could write a program that does Fourier Transform (it was about a year ago I think). I was wrong, very very wrong.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12416 on: September 14, 2010, 04:02:22 pm »

What age does 8th grade correspond to?
I haven't even heard of i until univerisity(might be exaggerating a bit), and I don't think that our education system is somehow behind the rest of the world.

I remember getting imaginary numbers in 10th, so about 1, at least where I went to school.
Edit: Definitely tenth, just dug out the worksheet. It wasn't very in depth, though, so its not like we were dramatically ahead of anything. It was mostly just to introduce us to Eulers formula.
I think I did really badly on that test. Mer.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 04:04:13 pm by Renault »

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12417 on: September 14, 2010, 04:03:48 pm »

Y'all make me feel like I missed a math class or two.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12418 on: September 14, 2010, 04:04:47 pm »

I'm in a weird state at the moment with regards to imaginary numbers.  I've been taught about them, but due to the weird way these courses work, I'm now doing a part that works on the premise they don't exist.  Ah well.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12419 on: September 14, 2010, 04:06:31 pm »

Well, they are imaginary numbers, so they don't exist. How I despise math for its gibberish on things like that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 826 827 [828] 829 830 ... 8155