Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1936 1937 [1938] 1939 1940 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8556812 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #29055 on: April 30, 2011, 03:04:17 am »

I just saw some shit on the Somethingaweful forums...

Is this website a joke!? I think I saw a moderators ban reason that was "I just don't like him"
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #29056 on: April 30, 2011, 03:10:55 am »

Well, it's a place where you can buy moderation privileges.

So yes, it's a joke.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29057 on: April 30, 2011, 03:24:17 am »

Speaking of seeing some shit, I'm sad because of my (Warning, not for the really, really wimpy)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29058 on: April 30, 2011, 03:32:38 am »

This online "Clerk and Customer Service" social-skills questionaire thing is total bullshit and rapidly crushing my soul.  It's impossible to choose an answer that doesn't make me sound like either a tool or that I'm trying to game the system.  But if I try not to look like I'm gaming the test, will overly self-critical responses (since I'm basically grading myself) just make me sound like a bad employee?  Are they judging the responses at face-value, judging the ability to pick the "right" answers, or judging the honesty?  This is like high-octane anxiety fuel for people who are self-critical and extrapolative by nature.

Not to mention it's only compatible with Internet Explorer, so it's pissing me right off just in format.

If you're trying to run a "social networking" type environment as a business, which is what the SomethingAwful forums is, you have to admit that letting members pay you to wage war on each other is an awesome business model.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #29059 on: April 30, 2011, 03:44:02 am »

I'm sad again. Mornings are the worst.
Love, scriver~

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #29060 on: April 30, 2011, 03:46:21 am »

If you're trying to run a "social networking" type environment as a business, which is what the SomethingAwful forums is, you have to admit that letting members pay you to wage war on each other is an awesome business model.

Yes, it's good business sense. They can just ignore what goes on as long as they keep getting paid for Mod positions, and the money spent of keeping the server working is paid for by the presumably considerably larger ad revenue and income from the trolls and power-mad nerds that buy into the features for the purpose of screwing with people.

But being based on good business doesn't make the forums much other than a wretched hive of scum and villainy. I lurked around for LPs, then got annoyed at that and just started keeping an eye on the LPArchive.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29061 on: April 30, 2011, 04:31:36 am »

This online "Clerk and Customer Service" social-skills questionaire thing is total bullshit and rapidly crushing my soul.

This just keeps getting better.  I got a 23/25 score on a "Microsoft Outlook Test" because of who knows what reasons.  Looking around the net (Google autocompleted every cheat-question to the letter), it appears to be a common problem of poor wording.

Why would anybody base their decision to hire someone on bullshit like this?  Do the HR people who come up with hiring procedures ever think to subject themselves to it as a test?
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #29062 on: April 30, 2011, 04:37:05 am »

This online "Clerk and Customer Service" social-skills questionaire thing is total bullshit and rapidly crushing my soul.

This just keeps getting better.  I got a 23/25 score on a "Microsoft Outlook Test" because of who knows what reasons.  Looking around the net (Google autocompleted every cheat-question to the letter), it appears to be a common problem of poor wording.

Why would anybody base their decision to hire someone on bullshit like this?  Do the HR people who come up with hiring procedures ever think to subject themselves to it as a test?

I've taken a couple of these sorts of bastardly patronizing tests recently, for incredibly depressing reasons. But it turned out the test was less about whatever the hell you said, and more to see if you could do boring, repetitive and intellectually insultingly bullshit tasks when asked. Might be what you're dealing with.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29063 on: April 30, 2011, 04:47:42 am »

I've taken a couple of these sorts of bastardly patronizing tests recently, for incredibly depressing reasons. But it turned out the test was less about whatever the hell you said, and more to see if you could do boring, repetitive and intellectually insultingly bullshit tasks when asked. Might be what you're dealing with.

Oh well, if they're testing my ability to put up with rigorously mindless computer-related shit, I got that in spades.  See, it's the judging part that's messing with my head.  I can shit out quality all day long.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #29064 on: April 30, 2011, 05:23:23 am »

It's 3am and I have to go to the Renaissance Fair tomorrow. I don't even think I want to go with how much trouble it is. I could've swore my friend who usually takes us said he wasn't going. I didn't even KNOW that we were even going until yesterday which was a huge hassle. My mom is now mad at me because of my lack of information about stuff. I don't know when we're going. I don't want to go now, but I have no idea if they bought my ticket or something. UHG. I need to sit in the corner for a seocnd...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29065 on: April 30, 2011, 05:52:45 am »

Finished the Customer Service exam thing.  I am nowhere near as competent with Spanish as I thought I was, and considering how little I regarded my Spanish competency, that's saying something.  Given that I haven't so much as flipped to Telemundo since I graduated, that's absolutely no surprise, but it could certainly wind up shooting me in the foot at some point in this job-seeking process.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29066 on: April 30, 2011, 06:58:13 am »

I just saw some shit on the Somethingaweful forums...

Is this website a joke!? I think I saw a moderators ban reason that was "I just don't like him"

And how is that any different from that one place, where a moderator banned several people for "agreeing with somebody I didn't like"?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #29067 on: April 30, 2011, 07:27:12 am »

Yeah, because that was totally the whole reason. I understand the bitterness and all, but at least try to keep an objective mind.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #29068 on: April 30, 2011, 07:30:03 am »

People *pay* to register at somethingawful's forums. Which is bad enough in itself, but getting banned for a lame reason after coughing up cash for a SA forum account is even sadder.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29069 on: April 30, 2011, 07:31:03 am »

That's exactly what I'm doing scriver, thank you.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 07:32:50 am by Mindmaker »
Pages: 1 ... 1936 1937 [1938] 1939 1940 ... 8155