Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2474 2475 [2476] 2477 2478 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8569232 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #37125 on: September 18, 2011, 11:35:41 pm »

Eh, it depends on the essay. One page to summarize a short story about a man and his conversation with a tortoise, sure. One page to summarize The Odyssey and all the messages that sends? Not so much. Both of these were actual assignments.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #37126 on: September 18, 2011, 11:47:32 pm »

Eh, it depends on the essay. One page to summarize a short story about a man and his conversation with a tortoise, sure. One page to summarize The Odyssey and all the messages that sends? Not so much. Both of these were actual assignments.

Wikipedia does it in four pages, one of which is mainly illustrations and all of which include many details which are not strictly essential. It could probably be trimmed down to a single legal sized page.

As for its message, in all sincerity its main message seems to be "don't fuck with Poseidon", with an additional subtext about golddiggers getting what's coming to them.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37127 on: September 18, 2011, 11:51:48 pm »

From the TvTropes Laconic page: "Odysseus tries to get home from the Trojan War. This takes ten years."

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #37128 on: September 18, 2011, 11:52:19 pm »

It depends on what you mean, I guess. You could include all sorts of discussion about the virtues promoted by the Odyssey as worthy, for instance the message that fate is ultimately more important than any human effort and a good life is a result of the gods' blessings rather than any inherent worth you might have as a person. You can get a summary of broad strokes of events and a very vague thesis in that length, no problem. That's why, anyway, I said it's hard to have anything meaningful (worth writing) and complete (with support, and appropriately constrained in scope).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37129 on: September 18, 2011, 11:53:59 pm »

As for its message, in all sincerity its main message seems to be "don't fuck with Poseidon", with an additional subtext about golddiggers getting what's coming to them.
Sigged. Give me a minute.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37130 on: September 19, 2011, 12:05:53 am »

one-page "essay" assignments in my introductory rhetoric course, where we're apparently supposed to constrict an entire argument into one paragraph, and an entire close reading into another.  This is stupid.   Fifty pages and the thread and the justifications and all those movements are not going to fit in one paragraph.  There is no point in writing out a close reading of a little tiny passage in one paragraph.  It is just not happening.  "Boy, Hobbes hates Aristotle a lot!"  No, that is frankly... it's stupid.
I 100% agree with your opinion of one-page summaries. They can't honestly expect you to put all of your thoughts down in that much space. It's mainly annoying to me because the professor is usually just trying to cut back their workload. I don't see how even half a page extra would kill them.
Back when I was first writing essays, I had a lot of trouble making them long enough. Usually I had said everything I felt there was to say about the subject before I'd even reached a single page (usually it was supposed to be 2 pages).
My English teacher told me that what I said was usually knowledgeable and insightful, but I needed to learn to bullshit more, and that an essay just needs to make you sound like you know your shit.
Heck, that's the entire point of an essay, to "prove" you know what you're talking about. They don't have to contain any insightful information, just make it sound like you've put a lot of thought into this. Which is generally what you should be aiming for...
I've always hated that... I never actually got good at writing essays.

Heck, this took me 45 minutes to write. I've never been good at getting my thoughts together on paper... But I try.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37131 on: September 19, 2011, 12:11:37 am »

I always click Pnx's spoiler-signature thinking that THIS TIME! This would be the time it's not whatever that is, and now, as always, I am dissappoint.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #37132 on: September 19, 2011, 12:14:51 am »

Hrm, you know, that's a good point. It depends on what you're being asked to write for, I suppose. If you're supposed to demonstrate original thought or make a point, it's hard to fit it into 1 page. If you're just summarizing to demonstrate that you know what you're talking about and probably could make a point if you needed to, then for a sufficiently high degree of acceptable data loss you can cram pretty much anything into a paragraph. For me, I always try to demonstrate some original thought if I care in any way about the topic, because often I'll have had one (well, original in that I synthesized it from what I read, rather than having been told it; I doubt if I have any genuinely new thoughts) and want to discuss it. Writing the equivalent of copypasting Sparknotes just feels... wrong to me.

In this post, personal opinions out the wazoo
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37133 on: September 19, 2011, 12:25:46 am »

I got in trouble because they asked me to provide something problematic, and I talked about the problematic assumption that speech makes humanity, and the ramifications of such.

Apparently they didn't mean "problematic" in that way.

I've got plenty to talk about.  I've pretty much never had trouble coming up with an essay subject or having all sorts of kick-ass ideas.  I'm just not fond of "explaining arguments," because I've never understood it.  A good argument is an explanation.  Double-explanation is complete overkill.

Pfaugh.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #37134 on: September 19, 2011, 12:28:20 am »

From the TvTropes Laconic page: "Odysseus tries to get home from the Trojan War. This takes ten years."
for a sufficiently high degree of acceptable data loss
Hence the problem. Summarizing it without dropping important story chunks is the hard part. Anything can be summarized in a sentence.

Go ahead, name a story.

Quote from: Example: The Tale of Genji, previously 1500 verbose pages
The emperor's bastard man-child is a beautiful asshat and everybody loves him until he dies a comfortable death of old age.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #37135 on: September 19, 2011, 12:30:07 am »

In practical terms, if you reallyu need more space for your one page report, check the assignment to see if the professor has specifically stated that you cannot use "legal sized" sheets of paper. If there is no such restriction, then this can buy you an extra three inches to work with (assuming that your printer supports this antiquated format).

HA! Sorry, I just get this mental image of a student walking in with a scroll or something about 50 feet long. "But teacher, you only said one page! You didn't say how large the page could be!"

Seriously, though, if the teacher doesn't give a base format in the syllabus, it's their own damn fault when a student told to be concise comes in with a piece of paper larger than one of the classroom walls.

E: Incidentally, I'd love to watch that happen.

Apparently they didn't mean "problematic" in that way.
I've had that happen a few times. After about the third incident, I started double checking with the teacher about meaning before attempting the assignment :-\
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 12:33:40 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37136 on: September 19, 2011, 12:31:27 am »

Hence the problem. Summarizing it without dropping important story chunks is the hard part. Anything can be summarized in a sentence.

But...

If you're worried about dropping important details, where do you draw the line at acceptable losses?

Would a 4 page compression of a 500 page book be more acceptable then 1 page?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #37137 on: September 19, 2011, 12:46:50 am »

It depends on the assignment. If it's to actually discuss what happened, one page will not cut it. If it's to summarize it - and that's all - a sentence will do.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #37138 on: September 19, 2011, 01:39:58 am »

Suddenly in the last few hours I've got a horrid cold. Runny nose and sneezing. I've had a lot of these this year but then I've always been prone.

HA! Sorry, I just get this mental image of a student walking in with a scroll or something about 50 feet long. "But teacher, you only said one page! You didn't say how large the page could be!"

Seriously, though, if the teacher doesn't give a base format in the syllabus, it's their own damn fault when a student told to be concise comes in with a piece of paper larger than one of the classroom walls.

E: Incidentally, I'd love to watch that happen.
During college I was in a rush to print a philosophy essay and accidentally selected the wrong printer. Got the first few lines down on A2 before cancelling it. Not quite the same but I ended up with similar images in my head of turning up with it all on that size paper.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37139 on: September 19, 2011, 05:29:03 am »

I feel like shit, today. My diarreah has gotten worse and I'm generally feeling unwell. Time to see a doctor.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!
Pages: 1 ... 2474 2475 [2476] 2477 2478 ... 8156