Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2777 2778 [2779] 2780 2781 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8612264 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #41670 on: January 04, 2012, 07:39:14 pm »

I don't know but getting to class late can be really embarrassing[...]
The real issue when you hit higher education is that getting to class late is disruptive. Interferes with what the teach is doing, the attention of students, etc. Most students at that point don't give two shits about you unless you've cultivated a relationship of some sort with them, so long as you're not messing with their chance at an education. You can get concern or irritation, but mocking generally doesn't happen.

I've had more than one college prof specifically say, "If you're late, don't come in." I've had some lock the door after class started. Usually, in both cases, the prof caveated things with 'come in after class, talk to me' and are pretty understanding if it's not endemic. Most teachers understand shit happens, so long as you're not letting it happen every bloody day. But for those folks that are late constantly... I've seen a couple people fail the class specifically for that. Grades were otherwise passing, but constant tardiness knocked it below the line.

Professors, at least, tend to be a lot more understanding if you talk to them about what's going on. If you're having trouble getting to class, sometimes giving them a heads up about what's going down can be the difference between them coming down on your arse or not.

Point being... I'unno. Just be chill and take measures to prevent being late. I've found waking up early can help tremendously with getting to class on time. If you've got a 20-30 minute empty space before class, you can show up and chill outside the room for a bit. Pre-college it's a bit of a bitch, though, as every high school and earlier schedule I've seen is just shit. No give time between classes, etc. Once you've got some solid control over when classes come down, things get easier.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41671 on: January 04, 2012, 07:43:45 pm »

At my school, the general rule is to not come in if you're late. If you miss the first day of the semester, you're instantly dropped from that class. Typically results in me leaving the house a half-hour early on that day, just in case.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41672 on: January 04, 2012, 07:44:37 pm »

At my school, the general rule is to not come in if you're late. If you miss the first day of the semester, you're instantly dropped from that class. Typically results in me leaving the house a half-hour early on that day, just in case.
is that college as thats understandable.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #41673 on: January 04, 2012, 07:45:09 pm »

That makes sense. We had teachers say the same at my college (UK highschool equivalent).
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41674 on: January 04, 2012, 07:48:00 pm »

My school had policies vary by teacher. The large, 8am, 2 hour lecture hall physics class that had an attendance quiz in the last ten minutes and a teacher who was otherwise oblivious?

There were a LOT of students that came in somewhere around an hour and fourty five minutes late for that class. (myself included, though I still managed to pull off an A so I mostly resented it for making me get up at ALL).

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41675 on: January 04, 2012, 07:49:05 pm »

I missed my entire first day at college.

As well as the entire rest of the month :V

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41676 on: January 04, 2012, 07:54:58 pm »

is that college as thats understandable.
It is.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41677 on: January 04, 2012, 08:30:22 pm »

In this case, it was a combination of living far away in a hilly area with generally terrible drivers, having quite early classes with very, very strict attendance policies (in a subject I'd feel ashamed to get even an A- in), and a bus schedule that kept on fucking varying with no notice whatsoever so I could never actually keep a stable sleep schedule or know I'd be able to wake up and have breakfast.

So yes, I do seem to have a mild stress disorder, which is stupid.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #41678 on: January 04, 2012, 09:05:03 pm »

At my university class assistance was not enforced, for the most part (at least in my faculty. I hear that in recent times the law students do have some kind of electronic class asistance control, which can be circumveited, but still). Some classes did pass around assistance papers (as in: sign it to prove you actually went there) but in many of these they did not check afterwards (most of those were mostly for show, and class assistance did not actually matter. They tried to do this in seminars, which most people skipped. But I went to none of them during one year and suffered exactly zero consequences due to this). Some other classes -particularily practice sessions- had various assistance requirements (for instance, in theory we were only allowed to miss three dissection classes) but I know of people who missed more than thwt and still got away with it. For the most part, if people went to some of those en masse was more due to the importance of that class towards a final than because of fear of reprisal.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41679 on: January 04, 2012, 09:15:48 pm »

"Assistance"? You mean "attendance", or is there an additional meaning to the word that I wasn't aware of?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #41680 on: January 04, 2012, 09:34:07 pm »

Serious Sam is a sore loser.  It's mad because I kicked its ass so now it's just spawning unlimited Kleers in a tiny area (The temple entrance in Oasis) and taunting me with a shitty new gun that doesn't help.
Shoes...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41681 on: January 04, 2012, 09:44:06 pm »

Oh lord...thanks to the politics thread, I realized I'm actually old enough to be President.

...I hate you all now. (Hey look, I've even got the Presidential attitude!)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41682 on: January 04, 2012, 09:45:38 pm »

You're welcome!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #41683 on: January 04, 2012, 09:54:09 pm »

PM me your actual name, and you will have at least one actual vote. The election is a foregone conclusion, anyway, and this'd send as much a message as voting for any third party would. I will make my own choice of vice presidential candidate, however.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41684 on: January 04, 2012, 09:56:41 pm »

Too bad Toady isn't old enough, or I'd write him in. I mean, hey, I already know his real name. :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 2777 2778 [2779] 2780 2781 ... 8156