Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2858 2859 [2860] 2861 2862 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8578467 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #42885 on: February 04, 2012, 04:31:08 pm »

....brooding over the fact that there's a relatively high chance I'll have to retake the speciality exam next year if I want to do the one I had in mind, despite the fact that I did not do it half bad (particularily considering I was coughing my throat raw at the time).

..... also brooding because it's near damn guaranteed I'll not get the girl. At least not the one I wanted. At least with the speciality exam I can retake it as many times as I feel inclined to. :-\
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42886 on: February 04, 2012, 05:18:34 pm »

Oh so many things!

The snow is a big part, after the first day thrill I'm feeling kind of meh, not that I hate the stuff, far from it, it's just that it seems to sap all the energy from me, regardless of me engaging in snow related activieties or not. And all my exams are delayed for an unspecified time, this might as well mean that that one free week after them won't actually be there :/

And while we're on about snow my hometown/city/whatever is completely snowed in, crazy stuff that I haven't seen in all my years that I've lived there, and this happened in two days, there will probably be more of the stuff. The snow buried most of the cars around the building my flat is in, the water is off in the whole city for a few days to prevent pipes from bursting, electricity is iffy and might go off anytime now, the stores have been raided for supplies by the populace and bread was given out by a few of the biggest bakeries for free (crazy stuff that).
Now, if power goes out, one of the bigger Aluminum producers in the world (not just by size but by quality) will need to shut down immediately or take a gamble and try and run on backup power which if fails while they shut down means the production cells will be borked and will need replacement which takes a long time. The second thing is that while a big part of the city can use wood burning means of heating themselves most people that I know can't, this makes me worry especially since I have no real way of contacting them if power goes out :I

Oh and I really want to see this giant ass snow in person, jump from a building into it or something, around here it's been mostly windy and quite meh in terms of volume :(
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42887 on: February 04, 2012, 06:24:20 pm »

Dear GOD. My brother didn't have to tell me that I will be humiliated for using buffy-speak on college, and insult me about it. Then he goes on a rant on why I'll be incompetent always in college.

Wow, I just realized that I replied to the wrong thing entirely, and my ranty little response probably doesn't apply to you (because you're not a college graduate who still indulges in masses of buffy-speak).

As a freshman, this probably won't be a problem and will even net you friends who catch your references and are glad to see someone like them (especially if you hang around people in technical majors--I recommend engineers, who seem to be really into this sort of networking).  You might well alienate upperclassmen, but that's not something for you to worry about.  They can usually recognize freshmen by sight anyway, and they're not going to bother you, just steer clear.  By your sophomore year, you'll probably have outgrown the buffy-speak or figured out a version of it that will work well in class and private conversation.

The likelihood is that you'll start patterning your speaking style based on the mannerisms typical for your major, as modeled first by professors and, later, by other students.  It's kind of like how many students come straight out of high school dressing in a way that kind of marks them as young (for example, guys who always wear skate shoes), but soon change things.  Nothing to worry about, the process is natural, and you probably won't be made fun of.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42888 on: February 04, 2012, 06:35:49 pm »

Vector is completely right, as I said before people tailor their speaking for their environment. Ergo, the more time you spend discussing academic questions in academic ways either in writing or speech, the more you will begin to adapt your speech in that way around those people.

It's natural, it's easy, don't worry about it. People who think using long words is an example of their intelligence must have a severe lack of intelligence if that is the only way they can express their brain power.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42889 on: February 04, 2012, 06:58:00 pm »

One very important thing about any college of reasonable size.

There is no such thing as college culture.

Any moderately sized school is going to have hundreds of groups taking into account group housing, societies/activity groups, subject groups, sports teams, random friendship groups, chance encounters, etc., all subtly different and intermixing at different levels. I spent five years at university. I was part of at least a couple dozen very different and distinct friendship or activity groups during that time. Not counting my classes. My behaviour varied in each group and I had differing levels of acceptance and approval, but didn't often feel a real outsider (at least not without choosing to be such, which is it's own type of fun).

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42890 on: February 04, 2012, 11:51:30 pm »

So, I told everyone I was going to be in cali this week, because I was supposed to, but my ride had a last minute ordeal in london she had to take care of, so now she's off in england and I won't get to go to london until next week.
This would be all fine and dandy, except Egoraptor invited me to a premier sony party in california.
(ego raptor is the creator of the awesome flash series for those that don't know of him)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHG-JO8gIGk
it's going to be a party put on by sony, for the premier of the 3rd season of their show (I didn't even know they had a show)
and it will have the new PSP vitos there that they will be giving out, even though they don't come out until the 22nd.

if anyone in cali want's to go in my stead I can maybe get 1 person in.
(i don't know how vigorously they'll be checking the guestlist, you could say you're me)
egoraptor will be there if you want to meet him, as well as current / past cast members of sony's show.
it's in santa monica
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:58:03 pm by Valid_Dark »
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #42891 on: February 04, 2012, 11:54:33 pm »

I'm seriously worried something horrible might of happened to my best friend.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42892 on: February 05, 2012, 03:16:58 am »

I'm seriously worried something horrible might of happened to my best friend.
have you round up the troops yet? do you know the last location at least?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42893 on: February 05, 2012, 04:44:38 am »

Jeez Janet, that sounds bad! Do you mean you know them IRL and they've disappeared, are acting strange, or you know them online and haven't heard from them? ???

Me, I just dropped in here to bitch about having another crummy day in my crummy life. ::) I don't really have anything new or specific to complain about.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42894 on: February 05, 2012, 05:01:57 am »

My former happy is now bone crushing sadness... I cannot find my Gameboy or any of my games. I fear in a fit of wanting to be more adult a few years ago I may have done something with them, but I will hope I was not so rash.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #42895 on: February 05, 2012, 05:25:27 am »

On the friend thing. It turned out to be nothing. Belive it or not he overslept REALLY bad. Like really bad.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42896 on: February 05, 2012, 05:26:50 am »

...Uhm. Wow. If I had any close friends, I would no doubt scare the crap out of them near daily by sleeping in 'til 2PM or so, hehe! ;D
Glad they're okay.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #42897 on: February 05, 2012, 05:27:59 am »

2PM? Heh. Yeeaah. I won't name names but ill tell you it's nothing compared to my friend.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #42898 on: February 05, 2012, 05:33:42 am »

Now is the perfect time to guilt trip him into giving you candies.
Love, scriver~

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #42899 on: February 05, 2012, 06:22:31 am »

Alternatively, an excuse to set up an elaborate alarm system that 'accidentally' fills his bed with icecubes at 4am every morning.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme
Pages: 1 ... 2858 2859 [2860] 2861 2862 ... 8156