Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3024 3025 [3026] 3027 3028 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8569763 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #45375 on: April 02, 2012, 10:07:54 pm »

... you have other 22 chromosome pairs to worry about, you know...

Also for the record: sex-linked inheritance is also worth bearing in mind. Ref: hemophilia.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 10:11:18 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45376 on: April 02, 2012, 10:09:35 pm »

... you have other 45 chromosomes to worry about, you know...
This is where my idiocy is showing, I thought there were only two. Thank you for clearing that up.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #45377 on: April 02, 2012, 10:37:45 pm »

... you have other 45 chromosomes to worry about, you know...
This is where my idiocy is showing, I thought there were only two. Thank you for clearing that up.
yeah congrats, the fact that there are however many chromosomes and only one pair of them does the XY schtick can get glossed over sometimes.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45378 on: April 02, 2012, 10:39:45 pm »

And people have the gall to call me smart... on a regular basis!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45379 on: April 02, 2012, 10:42:40 pm »

Being smart != always being right.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #45380 on: April 02, 2012, 10:47:02 pm »

Yeah! I'm wrong all the time!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45381 on: April 02, 2012, 10:47:14 pm »

Yeah, but it does generally == knowing basic information, like how chromosomes work. I just turned 21, shouldn't I have known how chromosomes work by now?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45382 on: April 02, 2012, 10:53:46 pm »

Chromosomes are not basic information.

Furthermore, you can be "smart" at one thing and "dumb" at others. You were dumb about chromosomes. You have been educated, and now are smart (relatively speaking) about them. There are undoubtedly numerous things you are smart about, and things you are dumb about. Don't get hung up on it.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45383 on: April 02, 2012, 11:02:56 pm »

Nah, "dumb" would have been him going, "But there are only two chromosomes!" when y'all told him there were 22 pairs. Or whatever. (I should probably start reading some medical textbooks if I'mma be a competent doctor cum medical researcher. Anyone got any good recommendations?)

He was just uninformed. :3
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #45384 on: April 02, 2012, 11:15:15 pm »

Yeah, don't worry. Everybody is uneducated about most things. You only cure that state by asking questions, and there's not enough time in the universe to even learn more things than you don't know.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #45385 on: April 02, 2012, 11:38:13 pm »

Watching Castle e20. I'm realizing I have problems with scottish accents. This might prove troublesome.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #45386 on: April 03, 2012, 01:58:39 am »

I think even the Scots have trouble with Scottish accents. I'd not worry too much about it.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #45387 on: April 03, 2012, 04:12:07 am »

Conservapedia.
I just looked at it for a while, and looked at a talk page, and the conservapedians are so ridiculous it makes me sad for humanity.
A exchange that exemplifies conservapedia:
Person A) "Information in our articles should match up with sources used and not have information inserted with no backing."
High ranking admin) "Well perhaps you should start your own project, Person A. However the pendulum for tolerating liberal clap-trap is rapidly swinging against them, and it might not be worth your investment. My suggestion is that you open your mind; the truth will indeed set you free!"

I know that the people who really believe this stuff (and aren't just trolls screwing with the true believers) are way on the crazy fringe, but still, it huts my faith in humanity.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45388 on: April 03, 2012, 04:13:52 am »

I think even the Scots have trouble with Scottish accents. I'd not worry too much about it.
Have a family member or two with Scottish accents. It helps.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45389 on: April 03, 2012, 04:25:51 am »

I have family members with thick dutch accents.

Think Goldmember style accents.
Pages: 1 ... 3024 3025 [3026] 3027 3028 ... 8156