Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3069 3070 [3071] 3072 3073 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8564547 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #46050 on: April 25, 2012, 03:18:27 pm »

Second the above - basic reinforcement strategy, works on minors but adults as well.

Called the Incompatible Alternatives Principle. Basically, you give them an incompatible behaviour with higher rewards that cannot be achieved while engaging in the previous destructive behaviour.

You also get someone "on your side" and ready to be pissed at anyone who ruins their work. :P

Yannanth

« Reply #46051 on: April 25, 2012, 03:42:00 pm »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 05:35:39 pm by Yannanth »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #46052 on: April 25, 2012, 03:51:42 pm »

So its the new TV?

It's worse, because it actually tricks people into thinking they're doing something instead of "just absorbing stuff".
Love, scriver~

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #46053 on: April 25, 2012, 04:59:31 pm »

Those god damn kids put Graffiti on the brick walls of the building I wanna rent, renovate and possibly buy later.

Fucking....

Honestly that just pisses me off. I'm trying to build a business and actually breathe some fucking life back into this place and of course, I get this bullshit.... Think about clients and customers coming from other places, dare I say people with some money.... Yeah, they don't wanna see that shit and they don't feel comfortable around it.

Moreover, my being pissed off, I don't wanna renovate a building including spending money on tearing down and building up walls and shit. God damn it, I'm not going to invest in a place that is going to be vandalized.

Fucking.... I am trying to lift this ghost town of a main street with the corpses of abandoned buildings littering both sides out of nothing and people are not making it easy.
Track them down and pay them to do some painting for you. It's worked wonders for a number of small business owners around here.

Eh, it isn't like I have the money to pay them. Given that my boss is keeping his clients if and when I go. Honestly though that'd be a decent enough thing I suppose if I could somehow straighten these kids up and start a paining company. Alternatively we've been yelling at the police to do something and threatening not to relected the ward counsel representative.

So its the new TV?

Also, I'm really not sure how good an idea it is to get worked up about a bit of graffiti on a place you plan to renovate anyways. Sure, it's annoying, but it's just a bit of paint - and from the way you describe it, it doesn't sound super common, or like they're going to be breaking shit or throwing bricks through windows or anything.

Eh, I dunno. The glass shop nearby has a booming business, so apparently people keep on breaking shit. Doesn't seem to have happened lately from what I can tell but damn.... I keep hearing about all this politically touted help for "small businesses," but don't see shit of it.

I mean you'd totally think somebody to do criminal and foreclosure defense in Cleveland would would qualify like all hell given that market seems to be in the pickup, at least as far as foreclosure goes (if only someone would pay for it :P ). It's a valuable service, especially the foreclosure defense for people who think all they have to lose is their house.... Nopes, two words, "Deficiency Judgment." That can be negotiated away by a lawyer sometimes.... Nothing like a debt collector calling you up AFTER the sheriff's sale you lost your house at demanding $40K.... :P
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 05:01:38 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46054 on: April 25, 2012, 05:07:13 pm »

Eh, it isn't like I have the money to pay them. Given that my boss is keeping his clients if and when I go.

Honestly, the paying is entirely optional. Most of the graffiti kids I knew did it for three reasons - expression, peer respect, and the rush. If you just offer to let the kid put up a mural, they'll /immediately/ lose out on the last one for spraying your building, making it less appealing, and it provides a great outfit for the first two. The money really helps sink it in, but it's definitely not required for lots of them. Either way, you'll have someone in the local scene with a vested interest in people not messing with his art.

Finding them might be a bit more difficult, of course, especially if it was a flyby or just a sig.

And you'll always run the risks of dealing with those who spray simply to deface randomly. I hear they exist, I can believe it, though I've never met anyone like that. Like the people who baseball bat mailboxes.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #46055 on: April 25, 2012, 05:42:24 pm »

I actually used to baseball bat mail boxes. It's pretty fun from a moving car.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46056 on: April 25, 2012, 05:47:47 pm »

I actually used to baseball bat mail boxes. It's pretty fun from a moving car.
lol me and my brother experimented with fireworks and other explosives and left a field with craters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #46057 on: April 25, 2012, 05:59:29 pm »

Eh, it isn't like I have the money to pay them. Given that my boss is keeping his clients if and when I go.

Honestly, the paying is entirely optional. Most of the graffiti kids I knew did it for three reasons - expression, peer respect, and the rush. If you just offer to let the kid put up a mural, they'll /immediately/ lose out on the last one for spraying your building, making it less appealing, and it provides a great outfit for the first two. The money really helps sink it in, but it's definitely not required for lots of them. Either way, you'll have someone in the local scene with a vested interest in people not messing with his art.

Finding them might be a bit more difficult, of course, especially if it was a flyby or just a sig.

And you'll always run the risks of dealing with those who spray simply to deface randomly. I hear they exist, I can believe it, though I've never met anyone like that. Like the people who baseball bat mailboxes.
Exactly. Several of the businesses around here have rather nice art from this, and little problem with grafitti.

In unrelated news, I found a really neat history of the American Civil War published in 1862 (histories written during a conflict always make for fascinating reading, and are great for "looking through the eyes" of the parties involved) at work today. Unfortunately, it was covered with mold and had to be destroyed.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #46058 on: April 25, 2012, 06:50:18 pm »

I'm getting a job! Or trying to, anyways. Finally I'll have more pocket money than my current 10 bucks a week, although I'm saving most of it up for pocket money for Finland next year.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46059 on: April 25, 2012, 07:30:08 pm »

I really need to find some way to make myself productive... This isn't working out.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46060 on: April 25, 2012, 07:39:08 pm »

I really need to find some way to make myself productive... This isn't working out.
Productive in what?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46061 on: April 25, 2012, 08:25:07 pm »

Productive in what?
Writing mostly, but there's also practising the piano, I haven't done that in a while. I started a "script" for a game, but I keep getting up and pacing around, and thinking about the writing more than I'm actually doing the writing itself.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #46062 on: April 25, 2012, 10:39:02 pm »

Queen week on American Idol, featuring Brian and Roger!
...wait, I don't see them anywhere, and none of these people come close to honouring Freddie.  Fuck.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46063 on: April 26, 2012, 12:56:46 am »

Found a artist I found a few months ago that I really liked.
He changed his art style a week or two ago, and his new art style is completely terrible.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #46064 on: April 26, 2012, 01:48:25 am »

Man. I'm starting to understand why no game system other than a parody seems to use a bell curve as its Random Number Generator. It's fucking difficult to balance.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 3069 3070 [3071] 3072 3073 ... 8155