Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3071 3072 [3073] 3074 3075 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8542245 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #46080 on: April 26, 2012, 12:37:00 pm »

You could make a call using Skype maybe?

scout890

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm finding it hard to care about anything anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #46081 on: April 26, 2012, 12:39:33 pm »

don't remember my dad's cell phone number, I emailed him though. If he doesn't come I guess I'm waiting outside for about 3 hours for my brother to return home

nothing

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #46082 on: April 26, 2012, 12:57:36 pm »

Those god damn kids put Graffiti on the brick walls of the building I wanna rent, renovate and possibly buy later.

Fucking....

Honestly that just pisses me off. I'm trying to build a business and actually breathe some fucking life back into this place and of course, I get this bullshit.... Think about clients and customers coming from other places, dare I say people with some money.... Yeah, they don't wanna see that shit and they don't feel comfortable around it.

Moreover, my being pissed off, I don't wanna renovate a building including spending money on tearing down and building up walls and shit. God damn it, I'm not going to invest in a place that is going to be vandalized.

Fucking.... I am trying to lift this ghost town of a main street with the corpses of abandoned buildings littering both sides out of nothing and people are not making it easy.
Track them down and pay them to do some painting for you. It's worked wonders for a number of small business owners around here.

Eh, it isn't like I have the money to pay them. Given that my boss is keeping his clients if and when I go. Honestly though that'd be a decent enough thing I suppose if I could somehow straighten these kids up and start a paining company. Alternatively we've been yelling at the police to do something and threatening not to relected the ward counsel representative.

So its the new TV?

Also, I'm really not sure how good an idea it is to get worked up about a bit of graffiti on a place you plan to renovate anyways. Sure, it's annoying, but it's just a bit of paint - and from the way you describe it, it doesn't sound super common, or like they're going to be breaking shit or throwing bricks through windows or anything.

Eh, I dunno. The glass shop nearby has a booming business, so apparently people keep on breaking shit. Doesn't seem to have happened lately from what I can tell but damn.... I keep hearing about all this politically touted help for "small businesses," but don't see shit of it.

I mean you'd totally think somebody to do criminal and foreclosure defense in Cleveland would would qualify like all hell given that market seems to be in the pickup, at least as far as foreclosure goes (if only someone would pay for it :P ). It's a valuable service, especially the foreclosure defense for people who think all they have to lose is their house.... Nopes, two words, "Deficiency Judgment." That can be negotiated away by a lawyer sometimes.... Nothing like a debt collector calling you up AFTER the sheriff's sale you lost your house at demanding $40K.... :P

It seems you've answered your own question: "deficiency judgment can be negotiated away by a lawyer sometimes". Going by the amount you've gave us as an example, I'd say you are dealing with a relatively average customer base: 40,000 US$ USD isn't by any means a lot, but it isn't all that little a sum either; whereas low earners wouldn't as much as consider hiring an attorney and those at the top  would opt for a prestigious one or an specialized firm, your supposed target public could be interested in the service, but is either unaware of it or cannot afford the risk of having to cover the provider's fees. If I am not intruding (and I may well be), how would you evaluate your current situation in terms of personal repute and affiliation?

sometimes

Anyone who promises certainty and results in the law is lying, period. This is especially true when making broad generalizations without specific facts. Moreover, while a lawyer can do it sometimes, your average person can't do it at all.

40,000 US$ USD isn't by any means a lot, but it isn't all that little a sum either
That's about the average person's yearly salary before taxes. That's a $20/hour job, which is incredibly good in this economy and rare. There are many people who don't make even that much, or close to it. $40,000 is most definitely a lot of money to people, especially when they have to pay it and can't. After all, they couldn't even manage their mortgage and got foreclosed upon.

whereas low earners wouldn't as much as consider hiring an attorney and those at the top  would opt for a prestigious one or an specialized firm, your supposed target public could be interested in the service, but is either unaware of it or cannot afford the risk of having to cover the provider's fees.

"Top earners," don't have to deal with foreclosures often. You're right about people not knowing about needing the service though, until its over and the debt collectors call, which is too late. Moreover the pricing considerations are more complex and include but are not limited to buying time to live in the house rent/mortgage free, possibly saving the house via a modification of the mortgage etc. As for fearing payment, nobody wants to pay for anything in this country and that's why its falling apart. I've seen people pay far more for car repairs, certainly an attorney is worth as much as a mechanic, especially when so much more is at stake.

If I am not intruding (and I may well be), how would you evaluate your current situation in terms of personal repute and affiliation?

The police and some banks affectionately call me a son of a bitch for ruining their cases. They call me far worse too. Some local lawyers often ask me for advice, but never credit me for it.  Otherwise, I have no fame, no titles. Most of what I have written over the years, has my boss' name at the bottom, though it is still on my computer and I have argued it in court.... I have nothing but talent, focus, and wrath.

The other thing you may not realize is that "repute and affiliation," effectively mean without exaggeration hundreds of dollars an hour extra.... It is no exaggeration to say that they can be several hundred if not thousands more than I am charging. They cannot afford such things as fame. Moreover, no one sees that younger lawyer or clerk behind the older attorney who does all the work, the research, the writing, etc, while the boss just brings in clients. He doesn't know the client's answers, says he will call them back, asks me, I research it and report to him. Then he calls them back. :)
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46083 on: April 26, 2012, 01:43:26 pm »

Darned leg cramp cramping my style...

Why don't you heal up and stop making me feel pain?
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46084 on: April 26, 2012, 01:58:52 pm »

I just realised that when the homework deadline is at 12PM, it doesn't mean midnight but noon.

Welp, not like I sent in any of the other homeworks either.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #46085 on: April 26, 2012, 02:09:36 pm »

I missed 9 questions on my SAT II math practice test.

Turns out 5 of them are solvable by just plugging in the answers one by one until it comes out...

This is kinda a double-edged sadness:
(a) That I'm so stupid D:
(b) That the SAT II math tests are equally stupid <.<

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46086 on: April 26, 2012, 02:15:19 pm »

don't remember my dad's cell phone number, I emailed him though. If he doesn't come I guess I'm waiting outside for about 3 hours for my brother to return home

Its probably too late, now, but just do what everyone else does when locking themselves out and let yourself in through a window. Assuming your phone's inside, you shouldn't have any problems with the police since they'll be able to confirm your identity on the extremely rare chance they show up.

Heck, I just had to do this in my own house not too long ago - except I really had to use the toilet and the only available windows was 8 feet off the ground.

If I could get that, you can get this. :P

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46087 on: April 26, 2012, 02:35:04 pm »

sometimes

Anyone who promises certainty and results in the law is lying, period. This is especially true when making broad generalizations without specific facts. Moreover, while a lawyer can do it sometimes, your average person can't do it at all.

40,000 US$ USD isn't by any means a lot, but it isn't all that little a sum either
That's about the average person's yearly salary before taxes. That's a $20/hour job, which is incredibly good in this economy and rare. There are many people who don't make even that much, or close to it. $40,000 is most definitely a lot of money to people, especially when they have to pay it and can't. After all, they couldn't even manage their mortgage and got foreclosed upon.

whereas low earners wouldn't as much as consider hiring an attorney and those at the top  would opt for a prestigious one or an specialized firm, your supposed target public could be interested in the service, but is either unaware of it or cannot afford the risk of having to cover the provider's fees.

"Top earners," don't have to deal with foreclosures often. You're right about people not knowing about needing the service though, until its over and the debt collectors call, which is too late. Moreover the pricing considerations are more complex and include but are not limited to buying time to live in the house rent/mortgage free, possibly saving the house via a modification of the mortgage etc. As for fearing payment, nobody wants to pay for anything in this country and that's why its falling apart. I've seen people pay far more for car repairs, certainly an attorney is worth as much as a mechanic, especially when so much more is at stake.

If I am not intruding (and I may well be), how would you evaluate your current situation in terms of personal repute and affiliation?

The police and some banks affectionately call me a son of a bitch for ruining their cases. They call me far worse too. Some local lawyers often ask me for advice, but never credit me for it.  Otherwise, I have no fame, no titles. Most of what I have written over the years, has my boss' name at the bottom, though it is still on my computer and I have argued it in court.... I have nothing but talent, focus, and wrath.

The other thing you may not realize is that "repute and affiliation," effectively mean without exaggeration hundreds of dollars an hour extra.... It is no exaggeration to say that they can be several hundred if not thousands more than I am charging. They cannot afford such things as fame. Moreover, no one sees that younger lawyer or clerk behind the older attorney who does all the work, the research, the writing, etc, while the boss just brings in clients. He doesn't know the client's answers, says he will call them back, asks me, I research it and report to him. Then he calls them back. :)

I believe you've misunderstood me, while not habituated to USA law as a whole, I am by no means a layman (International Law PhD/Firm Owner). Do correct my if I am mistaken, but, under the assumption of which you are junior lawyer under a liberal attorney,  rather than a clerk, what are your considerations towards the senior party's influence? Remember local reputation accounts for more than overall prestige in the scale in which you allegedly operate. Also, are you the sole junior lawyer under him, and therefore his clientele's likely "inheritor", or are there others occupying a similar position?

On a side note, regarding your early mentions, while there is indeed no such a thing as absolute certainty in our field, both the ability to showcase confidence and a record where the successes far outdo the failures are cornerstones of the trade. Furthermore, counterfeit to your apparent prejudice, there is a significant number of well earning individuals who have been forced to deal with foreclosure due to the crisis, primarily executives who lost their apparent financial security between corporate budget cuts and the rise of interest rates. Still, I reckon the use of the term "top earners" may have been misleading, those earning upwards of 300,000 US$ USD, usually liberal workers, indeed rarely have to contend with foreclosure.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 02:42:50 pm by Azthor »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46088 on: April 26, 2012, 02:46:19 pm »

Turns out 5 of them are solvable by just plugging in the answers one by one until it comes out...

Skyrunner is now, like, ten years younger than I pictured her.

Wait, does that count as a sad too?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46089 on: April 26, 2012, 03:01:01 pm »

Azthor is now, like, 10 years older.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #46090 on: April 26, 2012, 03:19:07 pm »

Wait, does that count as a sad too?

Why did you think I was ten years older before than now? xD

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46091 on: April 26, 2012, 03:20:21 pm »

Well you identify as female, so you're actually a 48 year old man named Frank.
*Hugs*

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #46092 on: April 26, 2012, 03:26:33 pm »

Ditto.  ???

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46093 on: April 26, 2012, 03:32:26 pm »

Azthor is now, like, 10 years older.

I am only 26.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46094 on: April 26, 2012, 03:47:49 pm »

Multiple choice math test are delightfully absurd
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 3071 3072 [3073] 3074 3075 ... 8155