Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3072 3073 [3074] 3075 3076 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8471785 times)

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #46095 on: April 26, 2012, 04:10:17 pm »

I missed 9 questions on my SAT II math practice test.

Turns out 5 of them are solvable by just plugging in the answers one by one until it comes out...

This is kinda a double-edged sadness:
(a) That I'm so stupid D:
(b) That the SAT II math tests are equally stupid <.<
I nearly aced the Math II test: I had to skip one answer, but thinking about it later, it was the same situation: just plug it in and don't do the real work. :C

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #46096 on: April 26, 2012, 04:14:16 pm »

Was it the Math One or Math Two? D:

I really hate myself because I miss things like 'positively' or 'one hour' or 'to disprove'...

Well you identify as female, so you're actually a 48 year old man named Frank.

...huh?

(doesn't understand, decides to look hurt)

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46097 on: April 26, 2012, 04:16:23 pm »

I think it's a "no girls on the internet" joke (coming from a woman, no less). Or a "all kids are FBI agents" one. Or a shot at trans individuals, but that's doubtfully intended.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46098 on: April 26, 2012, 04:19:43 pm »

Multiple choice math test are delightfully absurd
I've passed those without actually knowing the subject the test was on. As in, at all -- not in the sense of not knowing the formula or whatever, but in the sense of not actually knowing what the hell the test was on. And I've sucked at math since like 4th grade. It's actually a sad thread thing, because it means that pretty much everyone taking that test was being shortchanged, and badly.

Though it's less a math thing than a poorly designed multiple choice test thing. Good signs for MC test are >4 choices to the question and not being able to answer question five with the contents of question fifteen. Closely worded but carefully different answers are also good (though not from the lazy student/teacher's perspective). If I ever make one of the things, I'll probably not even give the questions numbers; sequentiality in most standardized tests is a bastard of an illusion.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #46099 on: April 26, 2012, 04:28:52 pm »

Azthor is now, like, 10 years older.

I am only 26.

while not habituated to USA law as a whole, I am by no means a layman (International Law PhD/Firm Owner).

?

I'm going to hazard a guess that things are incredibly different in your country, because 26 with a "PHD in law" would not happen here. Also the level above a J.D. is usually called an LLM. Few American Attorneys bother to go and get it, as it is seen having little practical value if any. I am aware things may be very different in other countries but am completely unfamiliar with the idea of a "PHD in law." I have not heard the term used among attorneys here. In any event I am a practitioner who openly and notoriously regards legal academics as they currently exist in the US as a waste. They don't teach students how to practice law, which is why they go to law school here in the first place. I was considered incredibly young when I graduated law school with a J.D. at 24.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My boss is an immensely conservative, ancient practitioner who simply is so old he doesn't care anymore and hasn't for years. It is likely he will die in his office sooner or later, refusing to leave it and especially refusing to leave his position. He doesn't do very much and hasn't for quite some time. I don't think he's bothered to go to court in a month, and before that he didn't for nearly a year. He also hasn't written or researched anything for quite some time. He signs his name on people's work though. He hires law students and new attorneys who due to the unprecedented downturn of the US legal industry, have no other jobs.

There are no "junior lawyers," here, or in many smaller firms. There's the boss. Then there's every lawyer he hires to actually do things. Then there are some small number of clerks and a secretary. As for who gets his firm when he dies, he will allow it to crumble after he dies as if to allow his ghost to say, "See, it really was me keeping it together. It fell apart without me. I was important." There is no "inheritor" of his firm or clients. He paid to put his son through law school but that guy never even bothered to register to take the bar exam. When asked what he was doing, he replied, "killing time." The boss has been trying to get rid of me for quite some time and has given me all the worst cases or as the secretary said, "putting you on suicide runs." Somehow I manage to win a respectable amount of them, or otherwise come to a relatively favorable result. I attribute this to my having no life and pretty much spending all my time in forgotten law libraries or courting clients.

As for local reputation, these people can't afford it. They are backed into a corner and have no other option. We can't officially say so, but we're the lowest cost option and they figure that out through shopping around. Other lawyers charge at least twice what we do and I've seen them literally charge several times what we do. Respectfully, what you are saying does not apply to those who are so downtrodden that the thought of paying $200 or $300 per hour is unthinkable and not affordable at all.

both the ability to showcase confidence and a record where the successes far outdo the failures are cornerstones of the trade.

You and I operate under very different rules and regulations. I cannot promise or imply a result based upon past performance because each case is different and doing so would very possibly result in "misleading" advertising ethical issues. Moreover the judges don't follow the law all the time, especially in family and juvenile courts and you have no effective recourse because 80% of cases are lost on appeal, being as they are "within the trial court's sound discretion." That is of course assuming everyday people could afford to appeal. They can't.

Furthermore, counterfeit to your apparent prejudice...I reckon the use of the term "top earners" may have been misleading, those earning upwards of 300,000 US$ USD

You and I have vastly different ideas of who "top wage earners" are. Together with your statement about $40,000 not being a large or small amount of money, I assume this might be an innocent misunderstanding of the currency by a foreigner, which is understandable. I have no idea what reasonable sums of money are in Brazil, for example. I would not understand how much people made in salary or how much anything cost in that currency.

You are aware I don't generally like rich people. I am very jaded from my dealings with them. I tend to find the ones I have dealt with spoiled and not used to hard work or improvisation. They have never had to fend for themselves and pay others to do so, or have well off relatives.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #46100 on: April 26, 2012, 04:35:40 pm »

If I ever make one of the things, I'll probably not even give the questions numbers; sequentiality in most standardized tests is a bastard of an illusion.

What do you mean by sequentiality? o_O

The SAT math tests usually get harder the more big the number.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46101 on: April 26, 2012, 04:39:08 pm »

I actually used to baseball bat mail boxes. It's pretty fun from a moving car.

Wow i couldnt imagine Mrs. Spandex being that sorta girl who would bat a mailbox.

The closest thing to vandalism i have gotten was once when i had this phase with painting swastikas everywhere.
No, i am not a nazi. I just liked the sensation in my hands when i made the strokes.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #46102 on: April 26, 2012, 04:41:11 pm »

Hey just because I said I wore shorts doesn't make me Mrs. Spandex. I typically wear a skirt over it.

And yeah, Mailboxes, fences, cups of coffee in peoples hands. I was a real bastard when I was younger.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46103 on: April 26, 2012, 04:42:52 pm »

I missed 9 questions on my SAT II math practice test.

Turns out 5 of them are solvable by just plugging in the answers one by one until it comes out...

This is kinda a double-edged sadness:
(a) That I'm so stupid D:
(b) That the SAT II math tests are equally stupid <.<

Skyrunner is now, like, ten years younger than I pictured her.

Wait, does that count as a sad too?

Why did you think I was ten years older before than now? xD

Because I keep conflating you with a friend's wife who goes by Skychaser, because you have similar names and similar personalities.  :V  And she's at least ten years past needing to take an SAT test.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46104 on: April 26, 2012, 04:44:36 pm »

PhDs in America seem to be much longer than PhDs elsewhere (compare 3 years in the UK to 7 years in the US... well I'm getting conflicting sources but that seems to be the average).  If Brazil's system is like the UK's a PhD could very easily take you up to age 25/26.

If I ever make one of the things, I'll probably not even give the questions numbers; sequentiality in most standardized tests is a bastard of an illusion.
Wouldn't it be awkward when the examiners do their reports, though?  "Overall the candidates did well on this test, but they struggled on question... uh..."

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46105 on: April 26, 2012, 04:52:59 pm »

I am only 26.
My default age for everyone on the board is 16. It used to be higher, but people kept making thrilling reveals that brought it down. :P

Quote from: Truean
$40,000
Wasn't that a comment about yearly income? In which case 40k is pretty much exactly "average" and not all that much higher than the mode. It isn't particularly large or small as yearly incomes go.

Edit: Nevermind, I actually have no clue what was going on here, I realize there's a disjoint in that particular conversation I couldn't get past.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 05:03:12 pm by GlyphGryph »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46106 on: April 26, 2012, 04:54:01 pm »

How old am I? I'm this many!

*holds up one hand*
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #46107 on: April 26, 2012, 04:57:23 pm »

Here law school lasts 4 years. After which they could conceivably do a PhD, which depending on it's scope might last more or less. It'd be conceivable for someone to have that by age 26.

It wouldn't count for much, though. PhDs wouldnt count for much for a lawyer, experience and contacts would. Hence they most frequently try to enroll in a buffette as a trainee (harder now as lawyer numbers boom. Unless your father is a partner, or you get very lucky... tough) or enter the exam for state lawyer jobs (really few positions. It takes five years to prepare for it, and no guarantees. It makes the MIR exam seem like good odds, in comparison)

An acquitance of mine got a master's degree and set up a buffette immediatedly, but  everyone I've talked about it has scoffed at her notion. I don't have any objective knowledge on how she's doing.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 05:00:16 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #46108 on: April 26, 2012, 05:03:44 pm »

How old am I? I'm this many!

*holds up one hand*

*imagines a 38-or-more-fingered kaijyuu*
*shudder*

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46109 on: April 26, 2012, 05:13:45 pm »

Kaijyuu is 2007 years old, according to its profile. So its hand is probably a writhing mass of tentacles.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 3072 3073 [3074] 3075 3076 ... 8153