Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3073 3074 [3075] 3076 3077 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8474781 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #46110 on: April 26, 2012, 05:15:43 pm »

Nope. I'm a normal, 4 fingered human being with no home among the stars.
(a thumb is not a finger!)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46111 on: April 26, 2012, 05:19:34 pm »

My default age for everyone on the board is 16. It used to be higher, but people kept making thrilling reveals that brought it down. :P

>_>
<_<
T_T

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46112 on: April 26, 2012, 05:20:09 pm »

Wouldn't it be awkward when the examiners do their reports, though?  "Overall the candidates did well on this test, but they struggled on question... uh..."
"[...] on the question regarding X." I'd probably be the one grading it :P I.e. it pribably wouldn't be a standardized test meant for general consumption, but something tailored for the course I was teaching. Standardized tests in general are something I'm still vaguely wrestling to figure out the proper and effective use for; they're both overused and poorly used in everything I've encountered so far, with very few exceptions :-\

Quote from: Skyrunner
What do you mean by sequentiality? o_O

The SAT math tests usually get harder the more big the number.
Basically what you just said, mixed with a bit of "I must finish one before I finish two." That the questions are numbered sequentially at all; the numbers themselves don't usually actually mean anything (I.e. have any impact on the proper responses), they're convenience at best. It catches a lot of people, from what I've seen, both test taker and test maker.

The way written tests in general are constructed tends to imply a sort structural of "start" and "finish" which... doesn't actually exist. You can start answering questions on pretty much any question (I've started answering questions with the highest numbered one before (I.e at the "back" of the test), ferex, and randomly skipped around after that. It made several tests easier -- that shouldn't happen.). It's less a line of questions than it is a cloud of them; structuring a test with the assumption that the test taker is going to go from start (I.e. the question numbered one) to finish (whatever the highest number is) is a poor design choice. Fairly minor, but still poor. I've answered good chunks of tests specifically because the test was structured exactly like that, not because I knew the material -- which isn't a good thing in any meaningful sense.

Tangental to all that rambling, with something like what you mentioned, you'd be a lot better off from an evaluation perspective to have several discreet sections instead of rising difficulty; algebra shouldn't be part of the same grade as trig and general-use mathematics, ferex, because by and large they're testing mostly discreet skillsets. Iirc some of the SAT et al does that a little, but it could stand to be a bit more explicit.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46113 on: April 26, 2012, 05:24:15 pm »

I'm waking up in the mornings with this weird gunk keeping my right eye closed. Quite a bit more than usual amounts. My insurance is for Maryland, so I'm kinda depressed looking for free clinics in the city to take a look at this reddening eye.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #46114 on: April 26, 2012, 05:44:58 pm »

Tangental to all that rambling, with something like what you mentioned, you'd be a lot better off from an evaluation perspective to have several discreet sections instead of rising difficulty; algebra shouldn't be part of the same grade as trig and general-use mathematics, ferex, because by and large they're testing mostly discreet skillsets. Iirc some of the SAT et al does that a little, but it could stand to be a bit more explicit.

On the other hand, you could argue that having sections of 'trig' and 'algebra' and 'planar coordinates' and 'spacial coordinates' ... et cetra would be worse - you would be suggesting that only those skills would be needed, while many of the more harder tests require diverse maths to solve.

Also, the unnumbered test ... that would be hell to look over - "oh, I see that the question regarding r sin theta and a polar grid is actually (a), not (b). Better fix i- wait, where is it on this answer sheet? D:"

Regarding unnumbered tests again - the mere fact that the problems are in a line would cause one to solve them sequentially >.>

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46115 on: April 26, 2012, 05:50:17 pm »

Well you identify as female, so you're actually a 48 year old man named Frank.

...huh?

(doesn't understand, decides to look hurt)

I think it's a "no girls on the internet" joke (coming from a woman, no less). Or a "all kids are FBI agents" one. Or a shot at trans individuals, but that's doubtfully intended.
The first one :P

All girls on the internet are 48 year old men named Frank who live in their mothers' basements and eat Doritos.
*Hugs*

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46116 on: April 26, 2012, 05:51:33 pm »

Such people are fine by me, provided it's Nacho Cheese Doritos they're eating. Anything else is heresy.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #46117 on: April 26, 2012, 05:52:22 pm »

Kaijyuu is 2007 years old, according to its profile. So its hand is probably a writhing mass of tentacles.

I'm 1017 years old!

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46118 on: April 26, 2012, 06:55:04 pm »

Probably nothing compared to other things here.

Boss promised me Friday and Saturday off a week ago, knowing I'm looking forward to the GW2 beta and saying I deserved a few days off anyway.  Just received an email appointment for me to deliver a client's computer into the shop for tomarrow (friday). 

The shop is a good chunk of an hour from my home.  So I don't think he intends me to deliver it and go back home.   I'm guessing he forgot since it would be unlike him otherwise, but it could just be him finding a way to cancel a day off without telling it to my face.  And him putting it on my outlook calender means he's already confirmed it with the client, so mentioning it still does nothing about getting me off.   Meh.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46119 on: April 26, 2012, 06:55:21 pm »

Do you want to hear something disturbing?

On November 9th 1923 Hitler and the Nazi party attempted a coup known as the Beer Hall Putsch. It ended in failure due to internal difficulties, and a police and military that was looking out for this kind of thing. 20 people died and numerous people were injured in the attempted uprising, and Hitler along with a group of his co-conspirators were arrested. The coup failed, but it proved to be a major propaganda victory. Hitler got a lot of national press coverage while standing trial, and his words won him many supporters.

Later on, the day would become a kind of national holiday for the Nazis, they would commemorate the loss of the lives of the 16 Nazi's who died that day, and the flag they held would be called the Blutfahne (blood flag), and become a prized artefact for the Nazis. A monument was erected dedicated to the day that passers by were required to salute to. The day itself would be known as Die Neunte Elfte, or "the ninth of the eleventh"... So it turns out the Nazis celebrated a 9/11 too.

I know it's just a number... but that really sent a chill down my spine.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #46120 on: April 26, 2012, 06:56:52 pm »

I had a couple of sad dreams last night. Bleh.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46121 on: April 26, 2012, 07:00:58 pm »

Do you want to hear something disturbing?

On November 9th 1923 Hitler and the Nazi party attempted a coup known as the Beer Hall Putsch. It ended in failure due to internal difficulties, and a police and military that was looking out for this kind of thing. 20 people died and numerous people were injured in the attempted uprising, and Hitler along with a group of his co-conspirators were arrested. The coup failed, but it proved to be a major propaganda victory. Hitler got a lot of national press coverage while standing trial, and his words won him many supporters.

Later on, the day would become a kind of national holiday for the Nazis, they would commemorate the loss of the lives of the 16 Nazi's who died that day, and the flag they held would be called the Blutfahne (blood flag), and become a prized artefact for the Nazis. A monument was erected dedicated to the day that passers by were required to salute to. The day itself would be known as Die Neunte Elfte, or "the ninth of the eleventh"... So it turns out the Nazis celebrated a 9/11 too.

I know it's just a number... but that really sent a chill down my spine.
Godwin. The Nazis also ate chocolate, breathed oxygen, and even had sex and got married. It's just a number, for crying out loud.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46122 on: April 26, 2012, 07:07:22 pm »

It's just a number, for crying out loud.
But you have to admit, it's kinda an interesting coincidence, I really think it's crazy the Nazis had a weird backwards version of 9/11.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46123 on: April 26, 2012, 07:10:28 pm »

Actually, it's a weird forwards version. Most of the rest of the world goes DD/MM/YY.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46124 on: April 26, 2012, 07:14:02 pm »

It's just a number, for crying out loud.
But you have to admit, it's kinda an interesting coincidence, I really think it's crazy the Nazis had a weird backwards version of 9/11.
Historical events that occurred on September 11th
Historical events that occurred on November 9th
Lots of stuff happened on those dates. Big deal. Some of them were worse than either event.

In fact, I can't help but notice that your coup is not listed in the second link.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 3073 3074 [3075] 3076 3077 ... 8153