Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4041 4042 [4043] 4044 4045 ... 7975

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 6520630 times)

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #60630 on: May 02, 2013, 04:40:17 am »

You seem to be ignoring the fact that if they're attempting suicide, there are obviously more things wrong with their life than just a relationship.

"Straw that broke the camel's back," and all that.

I used to think that way when I was younger and still do to some extent, but I have since seen way too many cases of emotional manipulation via suicide threat, especially in abusive relationships.  I wouldn't just assume that's the intent, but if you have good reason to believe that someone is doing this to be manipulative, then they should be treated as toxic.  The alternative is allowing the person to terrorize and dominate everyone around them with reckless abandon theater that will never end so long as it continues to be effective for them.
I don't disagree that such people exist (I've met at least one extremely emotionally manipulative person), but I'd still argue they aren't exactly mentally sound. They still need help, but with a different approach. Most prudently, separation from those they're abusing.

As for the current discussion that I mostly skimmed over, never blame people who commit suicide any more than you'd blame someone for dying from cancer. It is seriously no less disgusting to call a suicide victim a "coward" than it is to say that someone who died from cancer "didn't fight it hard enough."

Some people seem to think mental diseases are easier to control or deal with when it's probably the opposite. My father in law (a local preacher, who's dealt with many different people) can give you a very long rant about how people will treat someone visibly ill with sympathy, but those with internal problems are ignored and told to stop complaining.
Wise words indeed, Though I don't contribute much to this topic, I must say I love to see how sometimes most of you here really tackle situations in a mature way and how you all advise each other despite being complete strangers most of the time. I just wanted to say, how helpful whatever most of you have posted is to anybody who even simply reads browses through all this.
Cheers to the Bay12 community! :)

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60631 on: May 02, 2013, 04:52:19 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:21:23 pm by Ogdibus »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60632 on: May 02, 2013, 10:32:28 am »

"You've been doing so much better these past few weeks!"

This really creeps me out.  I only ever hear it when I'm pressured into situations that nearly or actually break me.  How can it be anything but backhanded, and an abdication of responsibility?

Edit: Just as a precaution, I didn't mean to make it look like your the one saying it.
I mentioned that particular event because it was sort of a breaking point for me, at which I just didn't feel like I could trust my mother at all...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60633 on: May 02, 2013, 10:48:34 am »

I'll put it this way: I never feel good revealing anything about myself to anyone.

Half the time I want to take a day and go through to delete every post I've ever made here, but that's also the part of me that thinks, with some paranoia, that no matter what I do I will never, ever be safe.  So I'm going to leave this, praying that someone will find it useful.

Hugs all around.
Would it make you feel better if I wrote up my crazy life depression story? It's not as egalitarian, but I think it gets points for having a unique setting.
Most of us have that, to some degree, if you look deep enough.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60634 on: May 02, 2013, 10:51:40 am »

The crazy life depression story, the lack of egalitarianism, or the "unique setting"?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60635 on: May 02, 2013, 11:00:56 am »

All three. Then again, I'm probably not the most impartial person to be talking about this. >______>

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60636 on: May 02, 2013, 11:13:11 am »

I don't have the first or third.
Pretty much the only notable thing about my life so far is how unremarkable and uninteresting it has been. At no point has anything interesting, good or bad, ever happened.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #60637 on: May 02, 2013, 11:16:37 am »

Once again, I think an international Bay12 convent for the abused and depressed is a good idea.

:'(

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60638 on: May 02, 2013, 11:26:27 am »

All three. Then again, I'm probably not the most impartial person to be talking about this. >______>
Fair enough, not like I was proclaiming to be the only one with experiences like this. I know something like at least a dozen people that hang around here have had some kind of experiences with depression/suicide, and I'm sure there's many more waiting in the wings.

If any of them wanted to come out and talk about their own experiences, feel free. I mostly did mine just because I thought V might appreciate not being the only one to be telling, "that story"...

Once again, I think an international Bay12 convent for the abused and depressed is a good idea.

:'(
Possibly, but only if we come up with a better name...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60639 on: May 02, 2013, 11:29:25 am »

Fair enough, not like I was proclaiming to be the only one with experiences like this. I know something like at least a dozen people that hang around here have had some kind of experiences with depression/suicide, and I'm sure there's many more waiting in the wings.

If any of them wanted to come out and talk about their own experiences, feel free. I mostly did mine just because I thought V might appreciate not being the only one to be telling, "that story"...
I'm sure if you dig a little bit, you can find most of mine scattered across B12. If anyone wants me to summarize for this purpose, though, I'd be willing to.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60640 on: May 02, 2013, 11:39:48 am »

I'm still ravaged by a depression I've had since I was 12. It has escalated slowly over the years, and now I find myself curled up in a ball on my bed some nights just wanting to die. Most of the time, I don't have the energy to do much. It pains me more to see others hurting, though, and I can't bother anyone with my problems because to do so would hurt them. I try my absolute hardest to be strong so people don't worry.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60641 on: May 02, 2013, 11:43:25 am »

I'm sure if you dig a little bit, you can find most of mine scattered across B12. If anyone wants me to summarize for this purpose, though, I'd be willing to.
*shrug* You don't have to share anything if you don't want to. It's your life and your story.

Closest I get to depression are those days most people seem to get every so often where nothing seems to go right, and you just feel like doing anything is pointless.

Then you wake up the next day, wondering why you were feeling so bad yesterday.
Unless you have drunk from the Dark Depths of the Bladed Woe infested waters of the Misery Falls of Agony World you do not know the true meaning of sorrow.
... How crazy would it be if I actually thought like that? Seriously bro, sad feels are sad feels, don't go thinking them invalid on account of them seeming petty in comparison to other people's...

I'm still ravaged by a depression I've had since I was 12. It has escalated slowly over the years, and now I find myself curled up in a ball on my bed some nights just wanting to die. Most of the time, I don't have the energy to do much. It pains me more to see others hurting, though, and I can't bother anyone with my problems because to do so would hurt them. I try my absolute hardest to be strong so people don't worry.
So... do you believe I'm being immoral by sharing my story and hurting other people?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60642 on: May 02, 2013, 11:48:00 am »

*shrug* You don't have to share anything if you don't want to. It's your life and your story.
I'm just honestly not sure that anyone would care. Not sure that anyone should care. I mean, the last thing I want to do is bring you all down because I'm a horribly broken person.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60643 on: May 02, 2013, 11:59:48 am »

I personally posted because I realized that there was a lot of background to my current struggles that folks here really don't see much of.  My constant whining all comes from one unified source, which I figured I might as well air out once and for all.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60644 on: May 02, 2013, 12:06:41 pm »

So... do you believe I'm being immoral by sharing my story and hurting other people?
Gosh, I wasn't trying to imply that. :S
I tend to be swallowed by negative emotion when I sweep everything out from under the rug in trying to explain why I feel the way I do. I become inconsolable and lash out at reason and I've lost friends this way.
Pages: 1 ... 4041 4042 [4043] 4044 4045 ... 7975