Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4079 4080 [4081] 4082 4083 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8571024 times)

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #61200 on: May 01, 2013, 08:08:28 pm »

I completely made the term up. But what they did is put some rats in a bucket, press it to a guy's belly, and heat up the other end of the bucket.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
physical pain huh? well i'll admit im sensitive to that, theres really no way to desensitize yourself from physical pain except from experiencing it regularly.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #61201 on: May 01, 2013, 08:11:47 pm »

What about playing KSP and your center of mass is off?

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61202 on: May 01, 2013, 08:12:58 pm »

;_;
Aside from how kids that young should probably not be handling guns...
with any luck they'll learn how to be safe around them and not accidentally shoot anyone. Hopefully.

Don't count on it.  There have been two news stories here about certified gun handlers accidentally shooting themselves (one during a safety demonstration...)

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61203 on: May 01, 2013, 08:15:01 pm »

Don't count on it.  There have been two news stories here about certified gun handlers accidentally shooting themselves (one during a safety demonstration...)
hahaha so much for safety  :P

What about playing KSP and your center of mass is off?
what is this KSP of which you speak of?

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61204 on: May 01, 2013, 08:16:37 pm »

He's talking about Kerbal Space Program, which is an indy game that allows you to build a generally accurate sim of how to get to space.  It's available off of Steam (I think) and there's a thread in Other Games if you're interested.  Haven't played it myself, so my knowledge is limited.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61205 on: May 01, 2013, 08:20:56 pm »

;_;
Aside from how kids that young should probably not be handling guns...
with any luck they'll learn how to be safe around them and not accidentally shoot anyone. Hopefully.

Note the "with any luck" and the "hopefully" :P

But I mean, I've handled guns before and been around people that regularly handle guns before. While it's an admittedly small sample size, none of them have shot themselves, shot someone else, or accidentally discharged a shot where it could have hurt someone.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61206 on: May 01, 2013, 08:21:51 pm »

You spend all this time building your rocket in KSP.  Some people spend hours getting everything just right (I'm more of a throw everything together quickly and pray it reaches space type).

But when their center off mass is off and they spent hours painstakingly putting it together, seeing your center of mass is off(as if flies into a mountainside) I'm sure is downright painful.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61207 on: May 01, 2013, 08:22:52 pm »

You spend all this time building your rocket in KSP.  Some people spend hours getting everything just right (I'm more of a throw everything together quickly and pray it reaches space type).

But when their center off mass is off and they spent hours painstakingly putting it together, seeing your center of mass is off(as if flies into a mountainside) I'm sure is downright painful.
sounds fun

He's talking about Kerbal Space Program, which is an indy game that allows you to build a generally accurate sim of how to get to space.  It's available off of Steam (I think) and there's a thread in Other Games if you're interested.  Haven't played it myself, so my knowledge is limited.
cant be that bad playing with the center of mass off right? i havent found any game that came off as more than "frustrating, but manageable" after a few plays.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61208 on: May 01, 2013, 08:29:06 pm »

cant be that bad playing with the center of mass off right? i havent found any game that came off as more than "frustrating, but manageable" after a few plays.
Shinanigans happen.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61209 on: May 01, 2013, 08:32:15 pm »

Shinanigans happen.
ok this game looks really fun i think i might try it soon   :D

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #61210 on: May 01, 2013, 08:50:14 pm »

;_;
its better that they learn guns are dangerous now, than when theyre using a real one to gun down their peers in school

I agree with that statement.  Still don't think I would be giving my own kids guns if I had either, but with proper supervision that might work out better in the long run.  I'm sure there is some benefit.  Learning how to properly respect and handle a gun is an improvement over folks that just wave the damn things around first chance they get when they are older and buy one themselves when they think they know everything.

You would have to make sure they have proper supervision though, which I'm sure a lot of people who would consiter buying their kids a gun aren't.  I know I'm not, and my Dad isn't.  My dad got me a BB gun once and I shot the family dog with it.   Intentionally.  The dog was fine fortunately.  I was never taught the thing was dangerous, I would hate to imagine what happened if it was my dad's hunting rifle instead.  But I learned a lot in my young impressionable mind, I learned the kind of respect you can really only get from being ignorant and doing harm.
Anybody who isn't "proper supervision" won't be buying a youth-model rifle for their kid. Those cost a fair bit of money, and it's much cheaper just to train them on the old squirrel gun you never bother with anymore. Not that that is, in itself, any indicator of anything. It's what my father did, and his father, and his father before him.

Of course, there's a common misconception that often comes up in situations like this, namely that a child given a gun will have unlimited access to said gun. In nearly all cases, that's not the situation. Despite the stereotype, any household that has guns and takes them seriously (as opposed to sticking a cannon in your nightstand and thinking that will keep you safe, even though you're afraid of it) takes them seriously
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #61211 on: May 01, 2013, 09:53:55 pm »

Anyway< I regard guns with the same rule as heavy machinery: "Should not be operated by children".

It shoudl be noted, children can be imposibly hard to deal with. And smarter then you give them credit for, ut dumb on common sense. That's why I once, in spite of literally everything anyone had ever said to the contrary, once stuck a metal skewer in a socket (in my defense, I had rubber gloves on. It singed them.).
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Catsup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61212 on: May 01, 2013, 10:46:06 pm »

not sure if this is normal or not, but i can kind of simulate these kinds of situations in my mind at will...sometimes they randomly show up on their own. It sometimes gets out of hand and i cant stop myself from crying if im conscious, though that is rare. But there was never any time that it would never end. You might not get better with time, but if you cry and you cry you tend to wear yourself out and the tears dont come anymore at some point. Sometime after that reason comes through (for me at least) and you stop yourself from doing anything like suicide.

i think suicide depends on the amount of emotional pain a person can handle, if they can just resist the pain (and suicide) until they can start reasoning with themselves then theyre in the clear.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #61213 on: May 01, 2013, 10:49:37 pm »

Over a breakup? Yeah, they've got some serious problems. But it has to do with why they would suicide over something that petty. I'd say a justifiable reason to an hero because of a breakup is about as common as a white whale.
You seem to be ignoring the fact that if they're attempting suicide, there are obviously more things wrong with their life than just a relationship.

"Straw that broke the camel's back," and all that.

EDIT: I should also note that relationships are for most people Big Things. Relationships aren't just chores you do to get sex and/or pleasant company (unless you're stupid and don't realize you can get both those things much easier in other ways).

I used to think that way when I was younger and still do to some extent, but I have since seen way too many cases of emotional manipulation via suicide threat, especially in abusive relationships.  I wouldn't just assume that's the intent, but if you have good reason to believe that someone is doing this to be manipulative, then they should be treated as toxic.  The alternative is allowing the person to terrorize and dominate everyone around them with reckless abandon theater that will never end so long as it continues to be effective for them.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61214 on: May 01, 2013, 10:51:40 pm »

i think suicide depends on the amount of emotional pain a person can handle, if they can just resist the pain (and suicide) until they can start reasoning with themselves then theyre in the clear.

No, that assumes that one's reasoning won't become fundamentally corrupted.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 4079 4080 [4081] 4082 4083 ... 8156