Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4289 4290 [4291] 4292 4293 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8576404 times)

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #64350 on: July 31, 2013, 04:50:18 pm »

You're not real MadMalkavian, you're a figment of your own imagination, which in turn is a figment of my own imagination. THIS ISN'T REAL.
I don't find this funny.
I guess we have different senses of humor then, because I find it marginally funny.
I find the mockery-making of one's problems to be rage-inducing and something to inspire further hatred towards your generation and all others out there. At least I'm not sad anymore though.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #64351 on: July 31, 2013, 05:07:44 pm »

I find the mockery-making of one's problems to be rage-inducing and something to inspire further hatred towards your generation and all others out there. At least I'm not sad anymore though.
Humour is a coping mechanism for dealing with problems. If anything can inspire light from depression, humour is it. It is the value of satire.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64352 on: July 31, 2013, 05:11:35 pm »

Quote from: From IRC
"There are three things you can do with your life: enhance it, change it, or take it. Pick one, and the first two don't count.

I'm disappointed and rather hurt, Bay12.
Took me a moment to get it. Now I'm sad AND a little angry.
Hmm.  I chuckled.  Says something about my sense of humour, I suppose.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64353 on: July 31, 2013, 05:19:12 pm »

Humour is a coping mechanism for dealing with problems. If anything can inspire light from depression, humour is it. It is the value of satire.

Oh boy, I have a serious problem with this sometimes. People will say the most terrible things and I'll find something funny in them and have to keep myself from laughing. It's nothing personal, it's just the way I deal with serious sad things. 
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64354 on: July 31, 2013, 05:23:46 pm »

Quote from: From IRC
"There are three things you can do with your life: enhance it, change it, or take it. Pick one, and the first two don't count.

I'm disappointed and rather hurt, Bay12.
Took me a moment to get it. Now I'm sad AND a little angry.
Hmm.  I chuckled.  Says something about my sense of humour, I suppose.
I think its because for many years I would try and fail to do the first two things, leading to some rather dark moments when I wondered about the third. Guess that quote just hits a little too close to home.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64355 on: July 31, 2013, 05:31:10 pm »

Oh boy, I have a serious problem with this sometimes. People will say the most terrible things and I'll find something funny in them and have to keep myself from laughing. It's nothing personal, it's just the way I deal with serious sad things.
You and me.  My significant other is A Very Serious Person and my needing to make light of something before getting Down To Business (or just using humour in a coping way) leads to me getting my ass chewed out on a nearly daily basis. 

Which, in turn, has largely turned me into a depressive and apathetic person which is No Good Either, and that also gets my ass chewed out on a nearly daily basis. 

The culmination of this eventually leads me to a semi-regular emotional breakdown, which is of course, No Good Either, because then I'm not being attentive to the Emotional Needs of Others. 

Now if you will excuse me, I need to commute home so I can spin the What Am I Getting Yelled At For Today wheel. 

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64356 on: July 31, 2013, 05:32:37 pm »

I think its because for many years I would try and fail to do the first two things, leading to some rather dark moments when I wondered about the third. Guess that quote just hits a little too close to home.
You say dark, I say relieving.  You say po-tay-to, I say po-tah-to.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64357 on: July 31, 2013, 05:42:41 pm »

I understand that but my idea of cheering someone up isn't schadenfreude in their general direction. That's how I cheer myself up at someone's expense, not at my own. I notice that a lot of people on both sides of the pond have different ideas of humor than making fun of someone's depressed state of mind, and would much rather have that than what was dished out and towards me earlier as said failed attempts at laughter make me angry to say the least.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #64358 on: July 31, 2013, 05:46:03 pm »

Maybe people just shouldn't be so easily offended by things said to you on the internet? You don't know the person personally, they have no actual knowledge of your life and neither do you of theirs, and things said shouldn't actually affect you on a deep personal level. If you're so insecure and easily offended by things said on the internet, then maybe you need to focus more on your own personal problems rather than how you feel when someone on the internet says a bad thing.

Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64359 on: July 31, 2013, 05:58:16 pm »

Maybe people just shouldn't be so easily offended by things said to you on the internet? You don't know the person personally, they have no actual knowledge of your life and neither do you of theirs, and things said shouldn't actually affect you on a deep personal level. If you're so insecure and easily offended by things said on the internet, then maybe you need to focus more on your own personal problems rather than how you feel when someone on the internet says a bad thing.
It's more easy to get offended at someone when there is a name and a face to attach to said offense. Hence why I spend a lot of time on 4chan - so I don't get the urge to be offended and can instead just laugh it off as someone being an asshole or having a different opinion. I don't need some kid reminding me of that but thanks anyways.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64360 on: July 31, 2013, 06:01:14 pm »

It's more easy to get offended at someone when there is a name and a face to attach to said offense. Hence why I spend a lot of time on 4chan - so I don't get the urge to be offended and can instead just laugh it off as someone being an asshole or having a different opinion. I don't need some kid reminding me of that but thanks anyways.

son this is a no bullying zone

bullying a shit

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #64361 on: July 31, 2013, 06:05:10 pm »

Even here the names are arbitrary and the faces are faceless. Better yet, they're friendly faceless faces. There's no ill-will directed at you.

"Quit letting yourself be offended about this thing that was said so that I can say another one later to make myself feel better."  There's no problem that can't be fixed by hiding it under another trite remark, right?

The problem here is clearly that I'm being offended and not that other people can be cruel.
The purpose is not to ignore it but to confront it with a clear head and a positive outlook. Pretending to be in an existential crisis to try cheer someone up does not even come close to being cruel.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64362 on: July 31, 2013, 06:23:35 pm »

I've been looking at the recently released numbers for the college that my mom really wants me to attend, and there is just...no possible way that I can get in there and high expectations suck. To start with, 93% of students are in the top 10% of their class, I am at the top 12% (this is the number being sent to them, for sure). This wouldn't be so bad, but also my SAT scores are below the 25th percentile in all the sections but writing. My mom thinks I have a "hook", but it's not very good, in my humble opinion, and half of it is total B.S. Even with the "hook", you still need to have decent test scores, unless you are some kind of prodigy, which I'm not, much as people seem to think. Centering my preparation and everything on getting into this school isn't helping, and there are much better things I could be doing on my time to help me elsewhere.

It's just, I feel like it's a waste of time and application fees and stuff, and it's not really where I'd be happy, other than the awesome financial aid stuff they have, anyways. I feel like I can't tell my mother this though because at this point I feel like she'll be really pissed off at me at this point if I do say anything suggesting that I won't/don't want to get in there. So, I've been making alternate plans (that she definitely won't like. Our views of the world clash significantly.), and stuff on my own, but it really feels like I'm going behind her back, which I don't like doing. I probably shouldn't care so much what she thinks, but I mean, I have lived with her for the entirety of my life and all that jazz.

All that, and the stuff with transferring from teenagerhood to adultish-hood is stressful. I feel like it shouldn't be, but it is stressful for me. I just want to lie down in bed and stop thinking some days.

Oh yeah, and my pregnant stepmom (who has had quite serious issues with a previous pregnancy) came home today because she was seeing spots while sitting down and drinking water, so I'm worried about her and her baby, too. Stress D:
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #64363 on: July 31, 2013, 06:42:20 pm »

I'm afraid I don't follow, Loud Whispers. Who is cheering who up with existential crises?
Bdethemag and MadMalkavian.

I'm upset about a thing that was said and that the go-to response is to just take it, and that the problem is that we point the fault at the person receiving the abuse and not at the source of it.
What you're talking about is a separate thing and needs more context to get judgemental.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #64364 on: July 31, 2013, 08:13:58 pm »

Loud Whispers, you're not making any sense. Do you even understand the exchange between Malkavian and Bd and the context of what Naxza said?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 4289 4290 [4291] 4292 4293 ... 8156