Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4513 4514 [4515] 4516 4517 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8475024 times)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #67710 on: November 20, 2013, 07:22:04 am »

Some bumrag decided to steal my phone. Normally this wouldn't be a huge problem, since I keep very little personal stuff on there for just this reason...

But I've been in Spain for two months and the phone had all of my travel photos that I was going to show my family. Goddamnit.

Out of curiosity: Where are you?

I'm in Spain. More specifically, Madrid. But I'm off home next weekend and I CAN'T WAIT.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67711 on: November 20, 2013, 03:36:26 pm »

Well, I missed my window of opportunity to introduce myself to the person I want to ask out, which was and is the worst outcome. Friday it is, then.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #67712 on: November 20, 2013, 04:12:03 pm »

So, my dumbass sister's pregnant again. I'M raising her first kid, since she lost the job I got her because she was too lazy to go. But she still has custody, because I couldn't really afford the legal costs of obtaining custody if her first baby daddy tried to contest it. To make matters worse, she'stalking about spending Thanksgiving in Florida, where she has been hinting heavily about planning to move to. If she goes down there, she probably won't come back, which would make obtaining custody virtually impossible.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67713 on: November 20, 2013, 05:30:49 pm »

So, my dumbass sister's pregnant again. I'M raising her first kid, since she lost the job I got her because she was too lazy to go. But she still has custody, because I couldn't really afford the legal costs of obtaining custody if her first baby daddy tried to contest it. To make matters worse, she'stalking about spending Thanksgiving in Florida, where she has been hinting heavily about planning to move to. If she goes down there, she probably won't come back, which would make obtaining custody virtually impossible.

Couldn't you point out the fact you're raising the spawn instead of her and try to get custody before she moves? I don't know anything about how that sort of thing works, but surely you being the one raising it has to count for something.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #67714 on: November 20, 2013, 05:45:04 pm »

There's two main problems that would have to be dealt with there. First, the baby daddy would almost certainly contest it. While he wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning, since he provides no support, has no job, and is a convicted felon; his parents might be able to. Even if they didn't win, it would still have a great deal of court time required. Which leads us to the second point. I can't go to court without getting fired due to attendance.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67715 on: November 20, 2013, 05:48:22 pm »

Couldn't you point out the fact you're raising the spawn instead of her and try to get custody before she moves? I don't know anything about how that sort of thing works, but surely you being the one raising it has to count for something.
Could you please not use such a derogatory word for children? I realize you might be child-free and used to deriding people for their reproductive choices (or possibly not?), but you're blaming the victim rather than the perpetrator with your use of language even if that were the case. We do try to be at least semi-respectful here, I think.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67716 on: November 20, 2013, 06:42:52 pm »

Could you please not use such a derogatory word for children? I realize you might be child-free and used to deriding people for their reproductive choices (or possibly not?), but you're blaming the victim rather than the perpetrator with your use of language even if that were the case. We do try to be at least semi-respectful here, I think.
"Spawn" might be meant to better relate his sister's approach to the baby, as she apparently doesn't care that much.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67717 on: November 20, 2013, 06:47:30 pm »

I've been seeing the word used in other contexts on this board to refer to other children as well, and it's bothered me. I'm trying to see if I can buck this problematic trend.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67718 on: November 20, 2013, 06:50:28 pm »

I've been seeing the word used in other contexts on this board to refer to other children as well, and it's bothered me. I'm trying to see if I can buck this problematic trend.
I don't think it's meant to be disrespectful or mean to the children, or to suggest that they're somehow inferior. I think it might just be meant as a joke.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #67719 on: November 20, 2013, 06:51:48 pm »

I don't really see the problem either. I tend to call my sister's kid Potato. Mostly because that's what babies look like.

I wonder if I can get the kid to think it's his name one day.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 06:59:39 pm by Dutchling »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #67720 on: November 20, 2013, 07:05:34 pm »

Words carry different connotations in public discorse than they do in private, moreso in a text-based medium such as a forum, where intent is difficult to determine. As it has become a fad in some portions of the internet, and even in RW society, to refer to children as a Very Bad Thing™, it is not difficult to take something like "spawn" as derogatory.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #67721 on: November 20, 2013, 07:07:19 pm »

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67722 on: November 20, 2013, 07:08:59 pm »

Words carry different connotations in public discorse than they do in private, moreso in a text-based medium such as a forum, where intent is difficult to determine. As it has become a fad in some portions of the internet, and even in RW society, to refer to children as a Very Bad Thing™, it is not difficult to take something like "spawn" as derogatory.
I don't know about you, but generally when people refer to something as a Very Bad Thing™, they don't actually think it's a bad thing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #67723 on: November 20, 2013, 07:12:12 pm »

That was MY phrase. I was referring to the sort of people who think that Tom Clancy's version of the One Child Policy (forced abortions for all extra pregnancies) is a pretty good idea, or who shoot up the TLC building for "glorifying overpopulation."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67724 on: November 20, 2013, 07:31:46 pm »

Yes, referring to children/babies as spawn is a joke. I'm not deriding people for their reproductive choices: I just don't like high-pitched noises, and children and babies tend to produce a lot of them. I also have made small children cry with a smile (I could be considered sinister-looking by some) so most of the time I notice children they're crying or screaming. As a consequence, I find them not to my liking. Unless they're fried, of course.

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 4513 4514 [4515] 4516 4517 ... 8153