Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4597 4598 [4599] 4600 4601 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8472545 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #68970 on: January 09, 2014, 07:55:38 pm »

I agree with kaijyuu.

In my limited experience with ladies of the Christian persuasion, they had a ton of religious baggage about sex and relationships and even if we had gotten past it somehow it would just eat her up inside, and all her friends / family / churchgoers would be constantly meddling and badgering her about how she's giving up God for some guy who isn't even Christian.

Again, my limited experience, I'm sure not everyone's like that.

Don't worry; she'll find somebody that fits her brand of crazy and you'll find somebody that fits yours. Don't go hoping for some kind of soul mate, but you don't need to stick with someone despite them religiously pushing you away.

Plus you're probably friendzoned already based on your short description. At best, she's interested in you too but wouldn't be able to bring herself to act on it, and if she did she's hate herself and get recrimination from her peeps as above, etc.

Side note: my girlfriend is Wiccan and I'm nonreligious. We don't have a problem with it. It's ok because we're not evangelists constantly haranguing each other. If she died I'd be willing to organize a Wiccan ceremony, just as if I die she'd be fine sending me to the county furnace to be incinerated and shoveled out.

I think willingness to spend a lot of time together, and wanting the same things out of life, and being committed to supporting each other, are more important than religion or politics. I suspect it's just that most couples end up arguing about religion or politics and it grates on them that the other one doesn't agree, and when someone does meet up with a person who doesn't argue about that stuff it's like a one in a million match.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #68971 on: January 09, 2014, 08:01:14 pm »

I fell down on the driveway, and ended up getting nasty abrasion wounds all over my hands and arms. Was hospitalised, and let out within the hour after i was cleaned up and got a few bandages.

Hurts to move my arms around, all the wounds are still fresh, and familly members are dealing me resent because i determined the risk of infection made doing dishes (which were my daily chores) too dangerous for me. Welp.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68972 on: January 09, 2014, 08:03:29 pm »

I would generally be content if people would stop slinging "crazy" around as a term for anyone who is a Christian. You know. Being a Christian and all. Also it being fairly ableist, but we don't really have to go there.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68973 on: January 09, 2014, 08:04:57 pm »

I want to accept all this stuff and move on.
But I just,
It feels weird.
I've told her how I feel about her and now I feel like I've put her in an unfair position, >.>
I almost don't feel like I know myself anymore. Last year I wouldn't have cared about a relationship at all, and now here I am, hopelessly infatuated with the girl of my dreams.
Seriously she's so nice and beautiful and kind and caring and just awesome ;.;

I have come to the decision after a good lot of thinking that even after learning some of the things I learned today, I'm not going to stop doing the out-of-my-way kind things that I've done for her so far.
Even if it doesn't come to anything in the future, at the very least she'll know I cared about her and hey, maybe I can trick myself into thinking I have a chance during this whole thing.
Placebo effect applies to social situations, right?
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #68974 on: January 09, 2014, 08:14:00 pm »

What if I told you that I believed I was special because a robot who lives in a tin can in my garage will grant wishes as long as I whisper them at night before bed, and as long as the wish is selfless and very good, and as long as I do whatever he tells me.

Even if he tells me to do something everyone says is very bad.

You would say that I'm not quite right in the head, yes?

What if I visit a record store every Tuesday where the long-haired man does interminable stand-up comedy, and at the end we all give him some money so he can do it again next week?

What if I know that when I die, nanites from a government satellite will descend in a fiery cloud and transform my body into light which will spread throughout the universe?

You might not realize how weird religious stuff sounds to people who aren't religious.

--Also note that I didn't phrase it to make her sound any crazier than him, which implies I think most people are a little bit crazy. After all, we wash our cars. Isn't that just dumb?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68975 on: January 09, 2014, 08:16:56 pm »

What if I told you that I believed I was special because a robot who lives in a tin can in my garage will grant wishes as long as I whisper them at night before bed, and as long as the wish is selfless and very good, and as long as I do whatever he tells me.

Even if he tells me to do something everyone says is very bad.

You would say that I'm not quite right in the head, yes?

What if I visit a record store every Tuesday where the long-haired man does interminable stand-up comedy, and at the end we all give him some money so he can do it again next week?

What if I know that when I die, nanites from a government satellite will descend in a fiery cloud and transform my body into light which will spread throughout the universe?

You might not realize how weird religious stuff sounds to people who aren't religious.

--Also note that I didn't phrase it to make her sound any crazier than him, which implies I think most people are a little bit crazy. After all, we wash our cars. Isn't that just dumb?
Washing your car isn't dumb. You need to get the salt from the road off of it at least once in the spring, especially on the undercarriage, or it'll start to rust and develop structural problems.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68976 on: January 09, 2014, 08:18:46 pm »

Okay, Leo, even from a non-religious standpoint, that is a horrible view of religious people as a whole.
Only the ones who are genuinely insane fall under your stereotype there.
I actually had a long talk with one of my religious friends about it and it's not just whispering wishes into a tin can.
The whole thing is about guidance.
Not really being told directly what to do by a voice from the sky, but more of a... code of conduct for life that leads to it's own lessons that in turn keep you on the right track.
At least, that's how I interpret it.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68977 on: January 09, 2014, 08:21:17 pm »

I have come to the decision after a good lot of thinking that even after learning some of the things I learned today, I'm not going to stop doing the out-of-my-way kind things that I've done for her so far.
Even if it doesn't come to anything in the future, at the very least she'll know I cared about her and hey, maybe I can trick myself into thinking I have a chance during this whole thing.
It's fine to do nice things for people if you want to, but don't do it in the hopes of getting something in return. That's a very bad and destructive attitude to have.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68978 on: January 09, 2014, 08:22:37 pm »

It's fine to do nice things for people if you want to, but don't do it in the hopes of getting something in return. That's a very bad and destructive attitude to have.
That's not what I meant.
It was more of a "Keep doing the good things because she's an awesome person and deserves it anyway, but if something comes out of it, so be it"

EDIT: But now after a quick moment of thought, I realize that the things I might be saying here might not actually be how I feel inside...
I mean, I don't want to stop doing the nice things, but I also don't want to ruin myself with hopes of something happening in return.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #68979 on: January 09, 2014, 08:26:12 pm »

Okay, Leo, even from a non-religious standpoint, that is a horrible view of religious people as a whole.
Only the ones who are genuinely insane fall under your stereotype there.
I actually had a long talk with one of my religious friends about it and it's not just whispering wishes into a tin can.
The whole thing is about guidance.
Not really being told directly what to do by a voice from the sky, but more of a... code of conduct for life that leads to it's own lessons that in turn keep you on the right track.
At least, that's how I interpret it.

The idea is that it's a very specific sort of mindset requiring a belief based on faith. As such, no matter what there will be a disjunction between the mindsets of two groups of people that make them question the mind stability of the other. That is, the faithful versus the non-faithful.
Do note that certain agnostics and even atheists can sorta all on the side of the faithful (in terms of being understanding of the mindset), that generally involves people who study religion for non ironic but non religious reasons, and really just people who think differently.
The faithful will bag on the non faithful, and vice versa, even if just in their minds for either. It's just natural, really. At least quite a bit of people are building up the decency to not hold it too far against each other, but in the end, people are going to end up disagreeing and feeling that someone else just isn't 'thinking properly'.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #68980 on: January 09, 2014, 08:30:43 pm »

Possibly also unfulfilling.

Let me tell you:

One day I was sitting on the couch under the living room window of my apartment, and I found a bee that wasn't moving. I went to pick it up to fling it outside and it buzzed a little. I had just opened the window; perhaps he had gotten stuck inside and was just starving or thirsty and I could save him.

(I was not a busy man at the moment)

So I grabbed a piece of paper and put a dab of water and a dab of honey on it. Set it down on the windowsill and moved the bee onto it. He stirred and slowly, laboriously, dragged himself the five millimeters to the honey. Bees have little jaws that look like the grasping part of needle-nose pliers, except there's also a spreading apart motion. And when their jaws open a long tongue snakes out. He was slurping up the honey from the little bead!

After a little while he stopped. I figured, maybe at least it made him feel better.

But he occasionally stretched his wings and started getting up on his feet. After another couple minutes he suddenly leapt up and flew out the window on a breeze and I lost sight of him.

I'm pretty sure the bee is never going to repay me for it, and I'm not expecting any kind of karmic benefit. But it felt good, and when I occasionally remember doing it it still makes me feel good. Even if it was a tiny creature I was able to save its life.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68981 on: January 09, 2014, 10:12:16 pm »

Lord Shonus, my condolences of course, but pardon my curiosity: Why'd she do it? Pills & wrist slitting seems like a horribly ineffective & not-thought-through kind of way to commit suicide - my first guess would be that it's really a cry for help...

Feel free to ignore this if it's too personal, though.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #68982 on: January 09, 2014, 10:35:03 pm »

She's awake now, but non-responsive. The current suspicion is that she took the pills first, but those weren't working fast enough to suit her (and probably were enough to reduce her inhibitions), so she went for something faster as well. As for why, we don't know yet. Some of the things she said lately suggest that she is very confused about her own orientation, and her parents thought that the best thing to do was to let her try to work things out herself, as saying anything more than a generic "we'll support you however you are" would be too likely to make things even harder for her.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68983 on: January 10, 2014, 12:19:05 am »

I would generally be content if people would stop slinging "crazy" around as a term for anyone who is a Christian. You know. Being a Christian and all. Also it being fairly ableist, but we don't really have to go there.
There are asshole Christians and non-asshole Christians. The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68984 on: January 10, 2014, 12:24:22 am »

The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
How true. Mind if I sig this?
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))
Pages: 1 ... 4597 4598 [4599] 4600 4601 ... 8153