Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4613 4614 [4615] 4616 4617 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8569634 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #69210 on: January 17, 2014, 04:37:44 pm »

no each and every one of them is one whole proletariat

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69211 on: January 17, 2014, 04:38:19 pm »

They could read, but language was strictly controlled. That's why newspeak exists. It removes words from circulation so that even if seditious material is found, it cannot be understood.

Newspeak served 2 funtions. One utilitarian, one totalitarian.

The vast majority of bluefeed was through radio broadcasts created using automated generation techniques. Formulaic, and based on fixed patterns.

Julia worked previously in producing such content.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69212 on: January 17, 2014, 04:41:32 pm »

AFAIK it was meant to make even unorthodox thinking impossible. Does it count as body horror if only your mind is affected?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69213 on: January 17, 2014, 04:50:51 pm »

IIRC the word "proletariat" was shortened to "prole" as a part of newspeak.

Or was it just slang?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #69214 on: January 17, 2014, 05:31:25 pm »

Another pantless weekend, it seems :D
* Cmega3 cheers
FYFY?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69215 on: January 17, 2014, 06:46:36 pm »

Are you old enough to go out drinking? I hear that's a good way of meeting people.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #69216 on: January 17, 2014, 07:17:08 pm »

Shit, my whole week would be pantsless if they didn't make me go to work. Pants are for chumps.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #69217 on: January 17, 2014, 07:21:22 pm »

My wife has horrible luck with assholes on the internet. Like, ridiculously so.

When I first moved in I wondered why she was so extremely distrusting of people, especially online. She explained that it was because most people she'd interacted with online (with a few exceptions, like like the small group of friends both she and I are in) treated her like garbage. I was skeptical at first, until she pointed it out to me every time someone was unreasonably hurtful toward her. She got harassment almost weekly while playing some of her favorite games, even when trying to be as invisible as possible. This isn't just "lol u suk" type jerkass behavior either, but "I'll send you hateful messages over and over again despite your attempts to mute me." People going out of their way to spew shit.

I'm not always playing together with her so I can't always be there to white knight her (and ignoring people is often the best response anyway; no need to sink down to other people's level, as it'd just encourage them). Instead I end up holding her in my arms for a half hour or so and yet again reassuring her she's not worthless or dumb, despite what assholes might say.

The most recent example was particularly bad. She asserted to someone that she and women like her should be treated the same as anyone else, and got hit with someone comparing her to the people who abused Alan Turing. She was called a bigot for calling out other people's needless hate. A particularly twisted "you should tolerate intolerance" thing.

I don't know if some people out there are just hate filled sacks of shit, or if they're just naive and don't understand the power of words. I'm optimistic and guessing the latter. "Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me" is an old lie a lot of people believe, and it's sad.

Thankfully the number of incidents seems to have been going down over time. At least from my perspective... she might be getting more resilient to them and just not telling me when they happen :P

I'll be her friend! Unfortunaty I rarely play multiplayer games.
Love, scriver~

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #69218 on: January 17, 2014, 07:44:10 pm »

AFAIK it was meant to make even unorthodox thinking impossible. Does it count as body horror if only your mind is affected?
I don't think so, although that fails to diminish the horror though.
My wife has horrible luck with assholes on the internet. Like, ridiculously so.

When I first moved in I wondered why she was so extremely distrusting of people, especially online. She explained that it was because most people she'd interacted with online (with a few exceptions, like like the small group of friends both she and I are in) treated her like garbage. I was skeptical at first, until she pointed it out to me every time someone was unreasonably hurtful toward her. She got harassment almost weekly while playing some of her favorite games, even when trying to be as invisible as possible. This isn't just "lol u suk" type jerkass behavior either, but "I'll send you hateful messages over and over again despite your attempts to mute me." People going out of their way to spew shit.

I'm not always playing together with her so I can't always be there to white knight her (and ignoring people is often the best response anyway; no need to sink down to other people's level, as it'd just encourage them). Instead I end up holding her in my arms for a half hour or so and yet again reassuring her she's not worthless or dumb, despite what assholes might say.

The most recent example was particularly bad. She asserted to someone that she and women like her should be treated the same as anyone else, and got hit with someone comparing her to the people who abused Alan Turing. She was called a bigot for calling out other people's needless hate. A particularly twisted "you should tolerate intolerance" thing.

I don't know if some people out there are just hate filled sacks of shit, or if they're just naive and don't understand the power of words. I'm optimistic and guessing the latter. "Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me" is an old lie a lot of people believe, and it's sad.

Thankfully the number of incidents seems to have been going down over time. At least from my perspective... she might be getting more resilient to them and just not telling me when they happen :P
Always assume both. They might have a little moment of "ha fucker got we she had coming to her" though. Maybe that rush from taunting or torturing a small creature, or one generally incapable of fighting back.
Are you old enough to go out drinking? I hear that's a good way of meeting people.
Yeah... I'm 13.
Well then son, it's time to go on an adventure.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69219 on: January 17, 2014, 07:58:42 pm »

Yeah... I'm 13.
Well then son, it's time to go on an adventure.
[/quote]
"The liver is a muscle, it needs to be trained."
But I'm not going to lead a thirteen-year-old down the road to alcoholism yet; that stuff's reserved for my own kids.
Any other social stuff you could do?

My sad: I just realized that my ideas of spending time with friends revolve mostly around drinking copious quantities of overly expensive beer and cider. Well, at least I don't dring liquor~
The Bay12 postcard club

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #69220 on: January 17, 2014, 08:04:14 pm »

Price of beer getting to what it is, you're better off just pickin' up some liquor from Costco to get your drunk on.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69221 on: January 17, 2014, 08:06:41 pm »

Well yeah, but it's a social thing after all - you basically pay for the privilege of sitting around. Not that I don't like it, but it's kind of absurd...
The Bay12 postcard club

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69222 on: January 17, 2014, 08:21:17 pm »

Sad: I'm having a "Flowers For Algernon" moment. Ugh.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #69223 on: January 17, 2014, 08:30:18 pm »

I'm talkin' about the price of a six-pack from the store. My state has very high liquor taxes, and a pack of Corona cost like $16 last I checked. I may be misremembering.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #69224 on: January 17, 2014, 08:33:11 pm »

o.o

Might as well drink molten gold.
Pages: 1 ... 4613 4614 [4615] 4616 4617 ... 8156