Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4633 4634 [4635] 4636 4637 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8437818 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #69510 on: January 27, 2014, 03:58:24 pm »

Gender roles are pure bullshit, plain and simple. If we spent more time doing what we wanted, instead of what other people want us to do, the world would be a much happier place.
"I just want to be who I am, a racist misogynistic asshole who harasses children going to school with unprovoked angry tirades about blood and death. Let me be who I am inside, Mr. Oppressor."

cool strawman, but i'd actually allow them to do that because the police would arrest them after a little while

now if it was molestation you were talking about it'd be an even better strawman

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69511 on: January 27, 2014, 03:58:35 pm »

women were, as a gender, too physically weak to do any types of activities such as sports or physical labour.

I always find this pretty funny.  Labor doesn't count as physical labor anymore?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #69512 on: January 27, 2014, 04:00:41 pm »

Gender roles are pure bullshit, plain and simple. If we spent more time doing what we wanted, instead of what other people want us to do, the world would be a much happier place.
"I just want to be who I am, a racist misogynistic asshole who harasses children going to school with unprovoked angry tirades about blood and death. Let me be who I am inside, Mr. Oppressor."

cool strawman, but i'd actually allow them to do that because the police would arrest them after a little while

now if it was molestation you were talking about it'd be an even better strawman
I don't know about your strawman, but I said that specifically because a guy was doing that on the train today. Not children  though, it was midday.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69513 on: January 27, 2014, 04:01:16 pm »

women were, as a gender, too physically weak to do any types of activities such as sports or physical labour.

I always find this pretty funny.  Labor doesn't count as physical labor anymore?

No-one mentioned labour, but someone claimed that women didn't even have half the muscle mass as men, which is what probably set the teacher off.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69514 on: January 27, 2014, 04:06:44 pm »

Not exactly what's meant, Vector. Even if it's a bad point, there's no point in misunderstanding intentionally.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69515 on: January 27, 2014, 04:08:30 pm »

I don't know about your strawman, but I said that specifically because a guy was doing that on the train today.
And, again, if people would be who they are, instead of who they are "supposed" to be, I guarantee you a half-dozen of your fellow passengers would have cussed the guy out/shut him up.

No-one mentioned labour, but someone claimed that women didn't even have half the muscle mass as men, which is what probably set the teacher off.
I know it's anecdotal, but my sister always laughed at stuff like this. See, she was a powerlifter in high school, and could out deadlift the entire football team. You can even take this further and point out someone like any of the entire division of Womens' Weightlifters in the Olympics. They could all easily outmuscle even your strong average dude.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69516 on: January 27, 2014, 04:11:44 pm »

Not exactly what's meant, Vector. Even if it's a bad point, there's no point in misunderstanding intentionally.

Sorry, let me explain my reasoning.  I wasn't very clear in that post.

You have the muscles to presumably push a 9-pound sack of flesh out of your body and carry it, lift it, etc. up to an increase of 70 pounds--often picking it up, carrying it around, and putting it down all day every day while doing other work--but you can't load 70-lb boxes for UPS?  That's assuming you have only one kid, too.

That's my point.  The point is that "women's work" expressly includes a lot of heavy lifting.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69517 on: January 27, 2014, 04:37:51 pm »

"Being yourself" does not imply "losing all self control." Also, encouraging others to act like they wish does not somehow discredit rules and laws against harming others. It does however, if they follow the advice, reveal harmful people as they are so we can deal with them rather than them slipping through the cracks.

I dunno about you, but I don't like wolves in sheep's clothing. They can do a lot of damage.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #69518 on: January 27, 2014, 05:29:01 pm »

Sorry, let me explain my reasoning.  I wasn't very clear in that post.

You have the muscles to presumably push a 9-pound sack of flesh out of your body and carry it, lift it, etc. up to an increase of 70 pounds--often picking it up, carrying it around, and putting it down all day every day while doing other work--but you can't load 70-lb boxes for UPS?  That's assuming you have only one kid, too.

That's my point.  The point is that "women's work" expressly includes a lot of heavy lifting.

Nitpick: those are different muscles.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69519 on: January 27, 2014, 05:33:47 pm »

The "carrying around your 70-lb kid" muscles are different from "carrying around a 70-lb box" muscles?  Sincere question.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69520 on: January 27, 2014, 05:52:28 pm »

...yeah, unless something is hilariously wrong with my understanding of pregnancy, it's abdominal and leg muscles doing the work. Boxes are arms/legs mostly. Back muscles are used in both.

The above assumes you're not lifting it in some ridiculous fashion. >.>

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69521 on: January 27, 2014, 05:54:58 pm »

If you've got a 70 pound baby in your stomach, something is horribly wrong.

She's talking about carrying around toddlers.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69522 on: January 27, 2014, 05:56:37 pm »

i have no innate sense of how much a pound is okay

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69523 on: January 27, 2014, 06:00:22 pm »

Pfft. Real parents use the Elevated Overarm Piledriver mode of baby burping.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #69524 on: January 27, 2014, 06:56:05 pm »

Pfft. Real parents use the Elevated Overarm Piledriver mode of baby burping.
Taking this.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: 1 ... 4633 4634 [4635] 4636 4637 ... 8153