Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4640 4641 [4642] 4643 4644 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8471251 times)

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #69615 on: January 30, 2014, 01:11:36 pm »

Well, we're getting evicted from this house for being late on the rent. Fun.
*manhug*

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #69616 on: January 30, 2014, 01:16:55 pm »

After I asked my crush if she said she didn't know me well enough, I haven't really had the balls to talk to her, mainly because I don't know what to talk about >.<

I really don't know. I even have facebook open, I could totally do it, but I don't know what to say...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 01:19:45 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #69617 on: January 30, 2014, 01:28:45 pm »

Probably best to get over her for now. Maybe you'll get another chance later, but that's a maybe, and one you shouldn't bet on.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69618 on: January 30, 2014, 01:36:58 pm »

Yeah, I'd let it go.  That's... the sound of your social skills and your hormones having a fight, it seems like.  It's okay, though.  Happens to all of us.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #69619 on: January 30, 2014, 02:54:29 pm »

Also, not really knowing what to talk about suggests that there might not be material for a longer-term relationship? If that's any comfort :\

Eric: ouch :( Good luck finding some other place!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69620 on: January 30, 2014, 04:14:16 pm »

Eric: How come you couldn't pay on time? Sudden major expenditure or something, let's say, chronic?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69621 on: January 30, 2014, 04:26:38 pm »

Aww thanks you guys, all of you guys, I really wasn't expecting such a huge response.

Bay12 is always here for you, Pnx. Even if I suck at advice. I sympathize with the familial issues you're having, though.
Don't worry to much about not being able to help, sometimes it's just nice to know someone cares.

Hi guys... I'm back, I kinda spent a few months away from the forums to clear my head and try to deal with some stuff, but it's kind of reached the point where I don't feel it's really helping me much at all right now.
Hi! I don't believe we've met before! I'm My Name is Immaterial, a random person on the internet who has given you advice you didn't really ask for. It's nice to meet you!

Always remember that you've got a bunch of people sitting behind computer screens hoping that everything goes well for you.
Hi! Nice to meet you too, and thank you.

I'm also feeling like I just don't understand the calc work I'm doing at all. I'm trying to, but it's just not clicking together very well, I feel like I'm missing bits and pieces that I need to really get that comprehension I need. Though maybe it will come with time. a lot of things in calc 1 only made sense to me towards the end of the semester.
I was in the exact same position last semester. My grade began to drop alarmingly, but I tried to muscle through it alone. That was the worst decision I made in 2013. The second I got help, my grade started climbing. Your college probably offers free/cheap tutoring/study help. USE IT.

I dropped my physics class because frankly the teacher was one of the worst teachers I've ever had. The psych class I'm taking also requires me to basically write one short paper a week, which isn't that bad I suppose, but I'm horrible at writing papers, and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to pull it off.
A. That was a smart thing to do, by the sounds of it. If you aren't learning, you're wasting everyone's time. B. What exactly do you struggle with when writing essays?
Unfortunately from what I've heard the Calc tutoring is mostly non-present at this college, though the teacher does do tutoring of his own during his office hours. Which is something I may look into if I'm still struggling in a while.

The papers thing is just something I've always struggled with. It's always felt like a pretty pointless activity to me and I struggle to get myself to place the words on the paper. If I can manage that I generally do fine, though it tends to take me way to long to write things.

My mother is... being my mother. She's also been opening my letters and censoring them apparently, there was this whole card against humanity 12 days of Christmas thing that my brother got for me, she opened it and took great objection to the contents, which I can sort of understand, but I'd really rather she wasn't vetting my mail.
While [it sounds like] you are living in her house, you're an adult, and she has no business touching your mail. Also, it's a federal offense to open another person's mail, so... there's that. Just going to leave it there.
Yeah... I have a long history of issues with my mother and I'm not inclined to have a fight with her over this one, so it's something I'm just going to be keeping in mind and leaving alone for now. Also what she's doing isn't actually a federal offense at all. The federal law in question regards taking letters from someone else's mailbox as a serious crime, but opening letters not addressed to you and such isn't. Though that doesn't make it not a potentially dickish thing to do.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69622 on: January 30, 2014, 04:29:20 pm »

Redirect your mail to someplace else?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69623 on: January 30, 2014, 04:30:59 pm »

Right now I'm just in the camp of "leaving it alone for now" the issue should become a non-issue when I finally get out of the house... which you know, is something that will hopefully be sooner rather than later.

Fortunately I don't receive much personal mail.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #69624 on: January 30, 2014, 06:14:32 pm »

Casually mention that you opened some of her mail the other day. She'll ask if it was important: say "I think it might have been." She'll demand you give it to her. "You know, I put it down with the other mail, not sure where it is now."

Of course you never opened anything. But that won't stop her from freaking out.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69625 on: January 30, 2014, 06:26:07 pm »

Yeah... let's not do the whole petty psychological warfare thing either. Getting my own back is not going to help anything, nor will it really make me feel better. Much as it might be tempting sometimes.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #69626 on: January 30, 2014, 06:58:05 pm »

That's hardly psychological warfare. It's scarcely a mental skirmish!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #69627 on: January 30, 2014, 07:27:00 pm »

Eh, it's still escalating a situation he's decided to leave alone for the time being.

Good luck, Pnx.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69628 on: January 30, 2014, 08:09:02 pm »

Pshhhh. Heights are nothing. It's the sudden stop at the bottom that scares me.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69629 on: January 30, 2014, 08:14:41 pm »

Confrontation kind of helps with these sorts of fears. I find my agoraphobia issues have gotten a lot better now that I've been going out more. It's gotten to the extent where I feel capable of making trips to places or talking to people if I really have to, though it's still pretty uncomfortable, and I feel awkward anywhere that isn't home.

It's still a really big concern for me though.
Pages: 1 ... 4640 4641 [4642] 4643 4644 ... 8153