Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4685 4686 [4687] 4688 4689 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8474839 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #70290 on: February 18, 2014, 12:54:30 pm »

... I've, it's definitely an aside, but I've long wondered, Gig: Do you folks catch much flak because of the name? I mean, it's like two letters off and the pronunciation near identical...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #70291 on: February 18, 2014, 12:57:47 pm »

It's normally not that bad, but shit has just been building up today. Being forced to play a sport you're terrible at and unmotivated to do when you're already frustrated just builds up extra frustration.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70292 on: February 18, 2014, 01:34:11 pm »

You can even pay taxes to let other people do PE, in fact.

---

I'm tempted to make an exercise thread. You do boxing, isn't it, MZ? Or some kind of martial art. I do shotokan karate. I wonder what other people do?
Ninjutsu (2nd degree black belt,) Savate (Yellow glove instructor), and Muay Thai (instructor). I've dabbled in lots of other martial arts, too. I did a year of kendo and iaido, wushu gong qui, and tiger kung fu. I want to get into hapkido or taekwondo, and I've never done karate, which I should probably rectify at some point.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70293 on: February 18, 2014, 01:44:45 pm »

I've wanted to do parkour and naginata for a while.  I have a few years of kendo.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70294 on: February 18, 2014, 01:52:51 pm »

I've wanted to do parkour and naginata for a while.  I have a few years of kendo.

I weigh the risks and I'd rather go down the stairs than jump out of a second story window. >.>

(But seriously, I would be too afraid of hurting myself if I were to do something like parkour.)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70295 on: February 18, 2014, 01:57:49 pm »

... I've, it's definitely an aside, but I've long wondered, Gig: Do you folks catch much flak because of the name? I mean, it's like two letters off and the pronunciation near identical...

Read my sig, and know the answer. Most people misspell it, but I don't really mind. People who know my real name always seem to call me something else as well.

So really there's no change.

Parkour looks fun as hell, but I'm really inflexible so I'm bad at rolling to break impacts, and I need to do more running to boost cardiovascular.

MZ: ...that's a lot of things, even if i've never heard of half of them. Kendo also sounds like something I'd like to try, but there's nothing like it nearby.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70296 on: February 18, 2014, 02:04:08 pm »

I kinda stopped martial arts after a) school-powered depression hit me hard, and b) nearly broke my ribs doing a simple roll when I tried to get back into it.

Used to love it though :<
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #70297 on: February 18, 2014, 02:19:34 pm »

I don't do any martial arts because I'm too wimpy, and I don't really intend to change that.
My best friend does (aikido, iirc) jujutsu, and that's scary. Dem pressure points, man.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70298 on: February 18, 2014, 02:24:16 pm »

Then do martial arts and unwimpify yourself.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70299 on: February 18, 2014, 02:27:19 pm »

Then do martial arts and unwimpify yourself.
+1. But whatever you do practice with caution, I busted my knee when I didn't.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Blaze_1711

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70300 on: February 18, 2014, 02:43:04 pm »

If you have a good knowledge of human anatomy, you don't need to know anything about martial arts, trust me, it's true.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70301 on: February 18, 2014, 03:06:29 pm »

Martial arts is using human anatomy against human anatomy, without damaging human anatomy of your choice.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

Blaze_1711

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70302 on: February 18, 2014, 03:39:02 pm »

I thought martial arts were the use of techniques to incapacitate a possible agressor while retaining your own physical integrity.

The knowledge of human anatomy teached in martial arts is very vague, like: "Apply pressure to this, and this will break" or "Punch this". But if you know human anatomy you can inflict real pain, leave your opponent permanently incapacitated and even make use of psychology to intimidate him.

Also, two things that stops any man, be him Chuck Norris or a Mr.T.: Bullets and blades. Get close enough without being seen and you don't need to know martial arts/human anatomy.

But men weren't made to fight/kill, we don't have good teeth, we don't have claws, we don't have horns, and we don't have a reliable hide. Yet we do have a brain, so we can use it for diplomacy.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70303 on: February 18, 2014, 04:00:55 pm »

I thought martial arts were the use of techniques to incapacitate a possible agressor while retaining your own physical integrity.
Like I said, using human anatomy against human anatomy, without damaging human anatomy of your choice.

The knowledge of human anatomy teached in martial arts is very vague, like: "Apply pressure to this, and this will break" or "Punch this".
Only if you have shitty instructors. We went trough basic muscle groups and how they affect your movement, as well as where you need to focus your workout to get best results. Going over how your moves affect the other guy was just as important as how you should perform it.

Also, two things that stops any man, be him Chuck Norris or a Mr.T.: Bullets and blades. Get close enough without being seen and you don't need to know martial arts/human anatomy.
Not only is this illegal in most civilized countries, it's not manly enough.

But men weren't made to fight/kill, we don't have good teeth, we don't have claws, we don't have horns, and we don't have a reliable hide. Yet we do have a brain, so we can use it for diplomacy.
You'd be surprised what human body can do. Three year old kids have leg strenght to kick adults face bones in, keep that in mind when you change diapers...

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #70304 on: February 18, 2014, 04:04:46 pm »

The knowledge of human anatomy teached in martial arts is very vague, like: "Apply pressure to this, and this will break" or "Punch this". But if you know human anatomy you can inflict real pain, leave your opponent permanently incapacitated and even make use of psychology to intimidate him.

You don't seem to have much experience with the arts. I still know every weak point I can get to. Martial arts isn't your hollywood version, either. Krav Maga isn't some little 'punch here to win' strategy, I will tell you that right now.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 04:09:45 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 4685 4686 [4687] 4688 4689 ... 8153