Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4874 4875 [4876] 4877 4878 ... 8157

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8822789 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #73125 on: April 16, 2014, 03:09:09 pm »

Possibility A: She will reciprocate your feelings.
Possibility B: She won't reciprocate your feelings.
Action A: Tell her.
Action B: Do nothing.
Outcome A: Happies result.
Outcome B: No happies.

P(A) AND A(A)=O(A)
P(A) AND A(B)=O(B)
P(B) AND A(A)=O(B)
P(B) AND A(B)=O(B)

So you may only have a 25% chance overall for happies, but that increases to 50% if you choose A(A), versus 0% for A(B). What you're getting hung up on is the trying to ascertain the mathematical  value of P(A). Which can be incredibly difficult to determine from indirect observation.

Think of it as Schrodinger's Dating Service. Until you say something, she both likes you and doesn't like you. Actually telling her collapses the quantum waveform potentiality.
So if you get nervous while telling her, you can always apologize that you're nervous because you're performing a quantum physics experiment.  :P
That last part assumes that all possibilities are equally likely.

Plus, the other option isn't a choice, since whether she would have said no is irrelevant. It isn't happiness, no happiness, happiness must be assigned a general point value for a real analysis:
#Say Something (SS)Say Nothing(SN)
She would say Yes(Y)20*
She would say No(N)-20
*Where zero is how happy/unhappy you are right now. Although all values may be higher or lower depending on your mental specifics, this is their rough relationship.

If you think it is likely you will fail, or you doubt the value of SSY(Say Something, she says Yes), it's safer to simply cut your losses with SNY and SNN by merely getting over her. Trust me, this is how my love-life works, I know this stuff.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #73126 on: April 16, 2014, 03:13:44 pm »

Why must everything be reduced to harsh, cold maths?

The human condition is quite incalculable.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #73127 on: April 16, 2014, 03:19:50 pm »

Suddenly, I agreed to work a midnight shift. I regret it immediately, but somebody's going to have to do it, and I haven't yet bitten that particular bullet in my time here. They really need to add an additional shift that typically does non-urgent tasks, so that they can be reassigned in case of sick calls. This happens too often.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73128 on: April 16, 2014, 03:35:50 pm »

It's hardly harsh, cold math. Math isn't cold and harsh, for one. It's really quite accessible, friendly and useful for a great many things. And it's just as good of a language as any to express the facts of life and relationships. Certainly as good as English at the very least.

If you think it is likely you will fail, or you doubt the value of SSY(Say Something, she says Yes), it's safer to simply cut your losses with SNY and SNN by merely getting over her. Trust me, this is how my love-life works, I know this stuff.

Trouble is, SN creates a lot of uncertainty, and for at least a few people invites long-term obsession and prolonged, terrible suffering. I had a similar problem not too long ago, and was just about ready to venture into Say Something territory, hoping that I'd get the SSN result and resolve the matter efficiently and effectively, but then realized that the SSY possibility, while remote and desirable at first thought, was nevertheless a possibility, and that I most assuredly couldn't be bothered to deal with it if it came up.

Granted, it's pretty easy to fix the game to most definitely get the SSN result and desired resolution, but that involves making a complete ass of yourself and deliberately sabotaging your love life, and if you're doing that, why even have a love life in the first place?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73129 on: April 16, 2014, 03:42:05 pm »

It's hardly harsh, cold math. Math isn't cold and harsh, for one. It's really quite accessible, friendly and useful for a great many things. And it's just as good of a language as any to express the facts of life and relationships. Certainly as good as English at the very least.
I wasn't being serious, but I am being serious in that it's not as good at explaining relationships. It's good at predicting outcomes. It's good at giving facts. But the written word will always surpass it in that it can connect emotionally with the reader. After all, that's what relationships are about; emotion. Maths can no more give a stirring, good expression of a relationship than pigs can fly.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73130 on: April 16, 2014, 03:47:19 pm »

Digital media?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73131 on: April 16, 2014, 03:48:04 pm »

Frankly, I can emotionally connect better with math than poetry any day.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73132 on: April 16, 2014, 03:53:45 pm »

Drat, I'm preaching to the wrong flock :P

Ah well, as Nietzsche said "You have your way and I have my way. As for the right and correct way, it does not exist."
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73133 on: April 16, 2014, 03:56:45 pm »

Drat, I'm preaching to the wrong flock :P

Ah well, as Nietzsche said "You have your way and I have my way. As for the right and correct way, it does not exist."
Don't worry, Dwarfy, I prefer my love letters in English as well.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73134 on: April 16, 2014, 04:01:22 pm »

The DFC Steam chat...

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73135 on: April 16, 2014, 04:06:33 pm »

I wasn't being serious, but I am being serious in that it's not as good at explaining relationships. It's good at predicting outcomes. It's good at giving facts. But the written word will always surpass it in that it can connect emotionally with the reader. After all, that's what relationships are about; emotion. Maths can no more give a stirring, good expression of a relationship than pigs can fly.

You just haven't found the right math, man. Out there somewhere is the math you are looking for. It's probably got some beautiful graphs and charts, and equations to die for. And you can input all of your specific variables into it, and it'll never talk back at you or be tired and unwilling to respond because of a tough day, or make vague and infuriating insinuations, because math is cool that way.

Besides, the written word can't connect emotionally with the reader. No mode of expression connects with a person emotionally. It's all the person's imagination. And each person is different in that respect. A relationship is, at its core, a series of facts explained and connected. And with mathematics facts can be explained and emotions quantitatively or qualitatively described, similarly to how the written word attempts to describe emotions on a qualitative (sometimes even quantitative) basis. Whether your imagination is captured by any of the many possible descriptions is a question of your mental wiring.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 04:10:33 pm by Harry Baldman »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73136 on: April 16, 2014, 04:11:24 pm »

Some of the most beautiful things are in math! D:<

Like, to be cliche, Mandelbrot sets~
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #73137 on: April 16, 2014, 04:23:00 pm »

You just haven't found the right math, man. Out there somewhere is the math you are looking for. It's probably got some beautiful graphs and charts, and equations to die for. And you can input all of your specific variables into it, and it'll never talk back at you or be tired and unwilling to respond because of a tough day, or make vague and infuriating insinuations, because math is cool that way.
And hopefully a nice set of parabolas. Just sayin...

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73138 on: April 16, 2014, 04:35:56 pm »

Show me something beautiful, awe inspiring in maths. Something that inspires wonders, stimulates the mind and transports you to a realm of fancy, and whimsy. If you can find that, I'll agree with you. Until then, I'll leave English to do what it was meant to do.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73139 on: April 16, 2014, 04:37:36 pm »

. . . :D
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 4874 4875 [4876] 4877 4878 ... 8157