Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5120 5121 [5122] 5123 5124 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8474989 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #76815 on: June 15, 2014, 05:40:42 pm »

Speaking of, having formal address forms be ingrained into your culture sucks. 'Sir' and 'Madam' are, as far as I observed, relatively rarely used for strangers outside of formal situations in English, whereas over here, it's the default. Which I find a pain in the ass because it adds another, pointless barrier when meeting strangers.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #76816 on: June 15, 2014, 05:41:56 pm »

From what I heard about etymology (or related word, can't pinpoint it) was that 'he' was gender neutral o-o
Take it as a compliment Allee! In a way... :o

Um, no. Telling a transgendered woman, or hell, any woman that being misgendered is a compliment is a dstinctly Rotten Thing To Do. Please stop.

"He" is taken as default, not as neutral.
I didn't read it as misgendered ._.
sorry

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76817 on: June 15, 2014, 05:45:01 pm »

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 07:14:53 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #76818 on: June 15, 2014, 05:45:47 pm »

Fuck pronouns. Why can't English have simple genderless ones like most every other language?
While the pronouns upset you, some other languages gender words, which is to say all of them. I'm not all that familiar with linguistics, but I think it might be a trade-off kind of deal, as I've heard English described as an unusually genderless language several times before.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76819 on: June 15, 2014, 05:46:47 pm »

Sorry for biting you :< *hugs*
Sorry for-...misinterpreting D:
*hugs too*
Though I seriously remember someone saying that in...word history(?). Blarghgh memory .__.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76820 on: June 15, 2014, 05:48:51 pm »

Fuck pronouns. Why can't English have simple genderless ones like most every other language?
While the pronouns upset you, some other languages gender words, which is to say all of them. I'm not all that familiar with linguistics, but I think it might be a trade-off kind of deal, as I've heard English described as an unusually genderless language several times before.
Yeah, all languages I'm familiar with are more gendered than English.
In terms of pronouns, it's mostly the same, but in most languages it is much more difficult to talk about someone without referring to their gender.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #76821 on: June 15, 2014, 05:56:17 pm »

Yes, it does. In German (as I recall), words come in Male, Female, and Plural Female. I've heard Plural sometimes called Machine as well, as it tends to apply to them. Which I think means that a literal translation would result in you referring to your car as being multiple women in English.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76822 on: June 15, 2014, 06:03:59 pm »

*hugs too*
Though I seriously remember someone saying that in...word history(?). Blarghgh memory .__.
People (read: assholes :V) insist that He is the english version of gender neutral, just because everyone uses it that way.

When other people (read: glorious master race) insist that They is the english version of gender neutral, because everyone uses it that way and not everyone is male.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76823 on: June 15, 2014, 06:05:00 pm »

*hugs too*
People (read: assholes :V) insist that He is the english version of gender neutral, just because everyone uses it that way.

When other people (read: glorious master race) insist that They is the english version of gender neutral, because everyone uses it that way and not everyone is male.
o_o
So my memory got a wrong source.
Now I feel shamed D:
Thanks for correcting!

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76824 on: June 15, 2014, 06:07:07 pm »

If I spoke Spanish, at least people would get clued into my gender by the way I speak. Also, even if you say you use "dude" to refer to everybody regardless of gender, you really don't. Trust me, I notice this shit.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76825 on: June 15, 2014, 06:10:13 pm »

Yes, it does. In German (as I recall), words come in Male, Female, and Plural Female. I've heard Plural sometimes called Machine as well, as it tends to apply to them. Which I think means that a literal translation would result in you referring to your car as being multiple women in English.
No, no. It's Male, Female, Neutral. Some plural forms are identical, maybe that's what you mean.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76826 on: June 15, 2014, 06:11:23 pm »

But the potential for maleness was inside you all along. Or at least if you go along with the thing that there is an intrinsic binary personality trait of male/female that isn't shaped by experience.
I don't but everyone else seems to so I'll roll with it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #76827 on: June 15, 2014, 06:12:15 pm »

a literal translation would result in you referring to your car as being multiple women
Sigged.
It's out of context, but it must be done.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #76828 on: June 15, 2014, 06:16:04 pm »

I use "they" in speech, but while rapidly typing I confess I often default to "he" because it's the shortest pronoun. And for no other reason. For spoken English, "they" is undoubtedly the gender-neutral singular.

I say dude to men and women, because, to me, dude is just what you call someone.

Not like I use dude very often.
At least around here, "dude" seems to be neutral. "Guys" is borderline, in some contexts.

Personally, I imagine one day we can live in a genderless society, but then again I'm a sexless robot.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76829 on: June 15, 2014, 06:40:16 pm »

In my experience, "guys" is fairly often neutral. People try to say they use "dude" as gender neutral, but they always use it to refer to guys more than girls. I've never met anyone who uses "dude" to refer to women just as often as they do to men, and I know a lot of people who use that word.
Pages: 1 ... 5120 5121 [5122] 5123 5124 ... 8153