Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5162 5163 [5164] 5165 5166 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8568492 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #77445 on: June 24, 2014, 07:35:47 pm »

My reason to live is because I bloody well don't want to die, and I hate a defeatist attitude.
I've noticed. However, no amount of slapping people verbally or physically will change their mind on the matter, so the real question is: why do people even try?

I have my own answers for that, but I want to see if anyone else has any theories.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #77446 on: June 24, 2014, 07:38:55 pm »

@ True (I'd quote, but...): You did the right thing straight through. Poor salve for the sting of the unappreciative, but... you did what you should have. Helped to the extent you should have. That others acted the way they did and paid for it... know it probably doesn't help much, but that's on them, not you. Hopefully the rest of the people involved figure that out at some point :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77447 on: June 24, 2014, 07:41:14 pm »

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:48:48 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77448 on: June 24, 2014, 07:41:51 pm »

There's simply not enough help for all of us. There's starving third world country inhabitants whose hardship is so much that they might as well live in a different planet from us. There's people in developing countries who is stuck in a dead end job, doomed to suffer for the rest of their life, living only under the slim hope that things will get better.

The only reason for people like this to continue on, to suffer for others, is because of the lie fabricated by the upper class. Hope. They're all empty promises.

Death, on the other hand, is the only promise that can't be broken. The only true way for us to transcend this animalistic and selfish urge to live, to be slaves to this sadistic being called Life, is to die.
Okay, young padawan, it's time for an adult perspective.

* MaximumZero cracks his knuckles and sets to work.

Your argument is flawed. Deeply. And I can poke a hole in it with just one pin, and I have that pin because I used to think exactly the same way. Here it comes, you ready? You get to make your own meaning. Yeah, it's a struggle for most of us. Yes, there are worse off and better off, more broken and less broken, more hopeful and less hopeful people. There are people, most people, who will never reach their ultimate meaning, and some people find meaning in having no meaning (read: Hanslanda.) Your life really, really sucks right now, or so you would have us believe. There are plenty of people who are worse off, but that's really irrelevant because we can only perceive our own reality. The other people in the world may as well be aliens.

Life is worth living because you can make it worth living. I came from the slums, grew up in such severe poverty that most doctors agree that I should have died of malnourishment years ago, wound up homeless and seriously injured, and clawed and scratched and fought (sometimes literally fought) my way into having a pretty good life, all considered. When I was a small child, I wound up beaten six out of seven days a week (no hyperbole), and I had some of the most horrific things you can imagine done to me. I have scars in places people shouldn't be able to scar. I wanted to give up on life for a long time, and no one blamed me. Hell, I attempted suicide twice. Thankfully, I failed both times. Nowadays, I'm happily married with a decent home, a halfway decent job with good prospects, a wonderful daughter, and a baby on the way. I find meaning in all of that stuff, even if you don't. You get to find your own meaning. You may not have the power to do that now, being so young, but you can start putting your own stamp on your own life. Find meaning in small things, like music, or poetry, or a hobby, or a skill, and run with it. I was never so alive as when I was in a chain-link cage wearing what amounted to a pair of spandex underwear with hundreds or a couple thousand people screaming for my blood.

So, buck the hell up, stop whining about life being hard, and go find some damned meaning in something. You have to figure out what this is all about, and no one can do it for you, even though they will try incessantly. Despite what people tell you, your life is all about you, and it's worth living because you can make life whatever you want.

Wait no. I changed my mind. I have a purpose, for now. I don't know how long it will last, but I do. I just spent eight hours in a hospital when I should have been working. I called in three times. Never called in before in my life. I'm in love. >.<
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #77449 on: June 24, 2014, 07:45:16 pm »

Alright, adding my part to this.

The life goal I have: Helping others.
I gain no happiness in doing such--sure, in many cases there is, but in others the idea is indistinct only in that the other is aided in a way. Nothing anyone does can direct a life, but only influence it. I've seen the many implications suicide or killing can do, and I've forced open my eyes towards the bigger viewpoint. My reason to live is that I can bloody do something.
Dead people can't do anything. What they did during life is what matters, to be generalistic, and that is what is remembered of them.
The living, can. No matter who you are, you can do something--and the best thing to do with it is for the greater good.

Problems exist are the viewpoints of many. How far can you see how situations go? If the media is your sole source of knowing things about the world, then dear goodness is it going to be skewed negatively (as a generalism given that in the news, most reports are of negative value)

I'd share my philosophy behind it but the very thought of it brings back darker memories than needed.

I've noticed. However, no amount of slapping people verbally or physically will change their mind on the matter, so the real question is: why do people even try?

I have my own answers for that, but I want to see if anyone else has any theories.

Because he's telling us to kill ourselves? And I don't want to?
I'd rather say we're countering what thought is gripping/constricting Objective at the moment. If his context was 'population > Resources', then it would've been said directly :v
Why people try? Influence. And by that I mean giving thoughts to the metaphorical pool in which considerations are made. (and I seriously don't think we're 'slapping' him there xD That's a bit on the violent side rather then acknowledging or challenging some details in his statement)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #77450 on: June 24, 2014, 07:46:54 pm »

My life doesn't suck. My life is a lot better than the 99.999% of the world population, I'm sure. Hell, factoring in stresses and such, I'm living better than royalty. The thing is that even when I grow up and do something, I'm still doing jack squat in stopping people from being sad because negativity is too ingrained in humans' psyche, for obvious survival reasons. Life lose its allure when you realize that we're just robots whose purpose is to avoid cessation of existence.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #77451 on: June 24, 2014, 07:47:48 pm »

More to the point, why people try is because they are confronted by something they see as false. Some also do it out of kindness and/or pity. And yet others do it because they're convincing themselves as well as arguing against.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77452 on: June 24, 2014, 07:49:35 pm »

Naaah man.

We're not robots whose purpose is to avoid death, would that it would be so grand.

We're robots who's purpose is to make tinier robots that share certain blueprints. Our purpose could give less than two shits about us after that! But not more than.

If it were to avoid death, then old age wouldn't be a thing.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77453 on: June 24, 2014, 07:49:50 pm »

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:48:47 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77454 on: June 24, 2014, 07:50:09 pm »

Alright, adding my part to this.

The life goal I have: Helping others.
I gain no happiness in doing such--sure, in many cases there is, but in others the idea is indistinct only in that the other is aided in a way. Nothing anyone does can direct a life, but only influence it. I've seen the many implications suicide or killing can do, and I've forced open my eyes towards the bigger viewpoint. My reason to live is that I can bloody do something.
Dead people can't do anything. What they did during life is what matters, to be generalistic, and that is what is remembered of them.
The living, can. No matter who you are, you can do something--and the best thing to do with it is for the greater good.

Problems exist are the viewpoints of many. How far can you see how situations go? If the media is your sole source of knowing things about the world, then dear goodness is it going to be skewed negatively (as a generalism given that in the news, most reports are of negative value)

I'd share my philosophy behind it but the very thought of it brings back darker memories than needed.
Aaaaaaaaaand Tiruin steals my thunder by giving my mindset in a much better thought out and elegant post.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #77455 on: June 24, 2014, 07:52:01 pm »

My life doesn't suck. My life is a lot better than the 99.999% of the world population, I'm sure. Hell, factoring in stresses and such, I'm living better than royalty. The thing is that even when I grow up and do something, I'm still doing jack squat in stopping people from being sad because negativity is too ingrained in humans' psyche, for obvious survival reasons. Life lose its allure when you realize that we're just robots whose purpose is to avoid cessation of existence.
o_O
:v
Hmm. Let's try a different viewpoint--sadness isn't inherently bad for you, its what you do when you're sad (err, like act on impulse and initiate self-destructive thought sequence).
And nope! That's much of a superficial statement there Obj. Pretty common when you're at the start of understanding those ideas, but ehre I ask you to cast aside that (as in, push away that what you see right now is the solid and hard fact and look deeper in it).

That realization you've got there? Superficial. Technical. It makes sense, yes, but it isn't...conjoined with your other statements there for some reason.
(But really, you have to work on your wording. I can Objectively guess that your note on 'KILL YOURSELVES' isn't what its meant to be in that wording...because it can be very muchly misinterpreted. Unless that's what you meant in exacts. :v)

PPE: Argh replies o-o
No 4mask :I Your thunder is yours. We just resonate along the same lightning ;3

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77456 on: June 24, 2014, 07:52:22 pm »

You missed the point. Your job isn't to make other people happy. Sure, it helps, and it's nice, and it makes society go 'round, but your job is to make you happy. Furthermore, people aren't particularly negative. You seem to be doing a damn fine job of projecting your negativity and wearing jade-colored glasses, though. Stop seeing people as all negative all the time, and things change quickly.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #77457 on: June 24, 2014, 07:53:34 pm »

Life lose its allure when you realize that we're just robots whose purpose is to avoid cessation of existence.
Nah. Things actually get more interesting at that point, imo. It's amazing what you can do in excess or parallel to that bit, and definitely quite engaging.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #77458 on: June 24, 2014, 07:54:38 pm »

Ever heard the quote about "Why do we climb the mountain? Because it is there."

I frankly find a great deal of inspiration in the fact that we're the only organism that we know of that can HAVE inspiration. Every human being has the potential to bring forth works of stunning complexity and insight. Yes, it's a tragedy that our imperfect human systems mean that many, many people never delve into that side of themselves. But there's nothing saying that a person CAN'T. Even in abject, utter poverty, they can sing. They can create something out of nothing.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77459 on: June 24, 2014, 07:55:11 pm »

You missed the point. Your job isn't to make other people happy. Sure, it helps, and it's nice, and it makes society go 'round, but your job is to make you happy. Furthermore, people aren't particularly negative. You seem to be doing a damn fine job of projecting your negativity and wearing jade-colored glasses, though. Stop seeing people as all negative all the time, and things change quickly.
This is such bs. There is nothing to be gained in making yourself happy.
Pages: 1 ... 5162 5163 [5164] 5165 5166 ... 8156