Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5163 5164 [5165] 5166 5167 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8555899 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #77460 on: June 24, 2014, 07:57:40 pm »

My life doesn't suck. My life is a lot better than the 99.999% of the world population, I'm sure. Hell, factoring in stresses and such, I'm living better than royalty. The thing is that even when I grow up and do something, I'm still doing jack squat in stopping people from being sad because negativity is too ingrained in humans' psyche, for obvious survival reasons. Life lose its allure when you realize that we're just robots whose purpose is to avoid cessation of existence.
You missed the point. Your job isn't to make other people happy. Sure, it helps, and it's nice, and it makes society go 'round, but your job is to make you happy. Furthermore, people aren't particularly negative. You seem to be doing a damn fine job of projecting your negativity and wearing jade-colored glasses, though. Stop seeing people as all negative all the time, and things change quickly.
As a fact, you can't make others truly happy if you can't do the same to yourself :P
(Or...well, the idea is that 'you can't fully help others if you can't fully help yourself'? I can't remember currently the exact wording of that one proverb but it has deep roots in thought.)
Also, all of this ._. I've noted that sometimes, Objective, you...erh, be too objective in how you state things.

My life doesn't suck. My life is a lot better than the 99.999% of the world population, I'm sure. Hell, factoring in stresses and such, I'm living better than royalty. The thing is that even when I grow up and do something, I'm still doing jack squat in stopping people from being sad because negativity is too ingrained in humans' psyche, for obvious survival reasons. Life lose its allure when you realize that we're just robots whose purpose is to avoid cessation of existence.
You missed the point. Your job isn't to make other people happy. Sure, it helps, and it's nice, and it makes society go 'round, but your job is to make you happy. Furthermore, people aren't particularly negative. You seem to be doing a damn fine job of projecting your negativity and wearing jade-colored glasses, though. Stop seeing people as all negative all the time, and things change quickly.
This is such bs. There is nothing to be gained in making yourself happy.
I've a feeling there're tiny details missing in between the 'why' in the term of happy there xD Both in MZ's context and yours, 4mask.
I guess what he means is that you can't focus on others and have it truly work if you haven't focused on yourself first.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77461 on: June 24, 2014, 08:04:41 pm »

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:48:45 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #77462 on: June 24, 2014, 08:05:09 pm »

Well that sucks.

You know, I had a debate with my dad not too long ago about "pro-bono" work. I have a friend who needs some help with her website (musician). She used a "drag-n-drop" builder, weeply I believe, but wants to move over to her own hosting to look more professional. I mentioned this to my dad, saying that I was gonna offer friendly advice and technical aid, but couldn't really build a whole website for her for free.

He argued that "you scratch my back, I scratch yours" and friends should help friends. I pointed out that if you expect professional attention and professional work, it seems to me you would expect to pay even if it's a discounted rate. We disagreed, he pointed out his brother (a painter) helped paint our living room for free. We kinda couldn't agree, I said to me not paying seems if nothing else disrespectful. Like, if you respect someone as a professional, you would expect the professional courtesy of giving payment.

Then again me and him disagree a lot. Like with my upcoming job hunt. He thinks I should "accept the first job I can, money is money", and kinda bulldoze into any job just for the sake of a job. I think I should take things a bit slower, consider my options, call up my contacts and find a good place to work since I know I can get *a* job, but getting a job that advances my knowledge is more important.

I guess it's just another iteration of the craftsman (me) vs salesmen (him) debate xD
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 08:10:21 pm by MorleyDev »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #77463 on: June 24, 2014, 08:07:27 pm »

So... your life doesn't suck, you're just telling all the rest of us to kill ourselves. Oh yeah, that's polite and not judgmental at all.
I never said anything about telling people to kill themselves.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #77464 on: June 24, 2014, 08:08:32 pm »

There is nothing to be gained in making yourself happy.
Strongly proven to be untrue, that statement. Happy people pretty strongly tend to be more effective at what they do, whatever that is. More energy, more alertness, etc., so forth, so on. Happiness is good for the brain and body, more or less. Does not, of course, mean that not-happy people can't be energetic, alert, effective, etc. -- just that they'd almost certainly be doing even better if they were happy, as well. Happiness is objectively optimal for the achievement of goals... unfortunately.

That said, one's job is less to make yourself happy than it is to do what you want to do. Happiness may or may not be involved -- there's plenty of other causes to dedicate yourself to, wholly or in part, for which happiness is a secondary concern at best.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77465 on: June 24, 2014, 08:09:23 pm »

For one person who is happy in life, there's probably at least 50 more who aren't.
Mankind should stop being so selfish and die off.

So... your life doesn't suck, you're just telling all the rest of us to kill ourselves. Oh yeah, that's polite and not judgmental at all.
That's...what I meant by misinterpretation Obj. o-o

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77466 on: June 24, 2014, 08:09:44 pm »

For one person who is happy in life, there's probably at least 50 more who aren't.
Mankind should stop being so selfish and die off.
Most of us read this as, "Humans are dicks. You should all kill yourselves."

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77467 on: June 24, 2014, 08:12:08 pm »

I always thought of my mission in life as "do what you are good at and enjoy, for the benefit of mankind and those around you".
Your mission in life is whatever you make it. Hell, mine for a long time was "Punch people for money."

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

4maskedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ghost of Forumites Past
    • View Profile
« Reply #77468 on: June 24, 2014, 08:34:23 pm »

@Vector: thanks for the advise, but it's not quite that simple.
@guywithsimilarname: I got my username from my old runescape account. Why?
A flitting shadow, wandering the hidden paths of the forums.  Long since lost to humanity, it's path follows no discernible pattern, simply observing that which goes on around it.  If you have found it, it is already too late for you, for none may see its silent journey.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77469 on: June 24, 2014, 08:38:12 pm »

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:46:06 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77470 on: June 24, 2014, 08:39:01 pm »

I seriously doubt 4maskwolf would do that :-\
I mean, nothing wrong with saying own problems like such. Unless...it's that important? \:

4maskedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ghost of Forumites Past
    • View Profile
« Reply #77471 on: June 24, 2014, 08:42:23 pm »

... sockpuppeting?
@Vector: what does that mean?
A flitting shadow, wandering the hidden paths of the forums.  Long since lost to humanity, it's path follows no discernible pattern, simply observing that which goes on around it.  If you have found it, it is already too late for you, for none may see its silent journey.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77472 on: June 24, 2014, 08:47:08 pm »

... sockpuppeting?
@Vector: what does that mean?
Using a separate/alt account as a "puppet". Generally, to say something specific without the repercussions being drawn to your main account.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #77473 on: June 24, 2014, 08:52:44 pm »

Yeah, but if you're going to do that you generally wouldn't give the sockpuppet an almost identical name.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77474 on: June 24, 2014, 08:53:22 pm »

I think you should use this as your avatar by the way.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Because so long as this is happening it might as well happen all the way.
Pages: 1 ... 5163 5164 [5165] 5166 5167 ... 8155