Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5456 5457 [5458] 5459 5460 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8570894 times)

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #81855 on: September 22, 2014, 09:34:49 am »

I looked around and it says that melatonin can cause short-lasting feelings of depression or worsen them, that might be linked to your emotionlessness.

Have you looked into chloral hydrate herbal sedatives?
I'm with stupid |
                      v

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #81856 on: September 22, 2014, 10:25:36 am »

My grandmother is finally forgetting to be a psychotic alcoholic who throws hot coffee on other nursing home residents (she's in her...seventh nursing home now?) It's probably a good thing for all parties.

Keep in mind, when my parents were dating back in 1990-91, my father didn't introduce my mother to my grandmother because he was afraid it would blow up in his face. His fears were proven right when she got drunk at the wedding rehearsal dinner and caused some sort of a scene. Since then (despite my father's reassurances that she was not long for this world at the time of their wedding), she's survived being found in her upside-down car on the side of the interstate, being in her car while it was dragged by an eighteen-wheeler for a few miles, getting drunk on Christmas Eve when I was five and cracking her head on the sidewalk, and doing this on a diet of two packs of cigarettes and a gallon of wine a day.

Between my grandmother living a quarter-century beyond her reasonably allotted span, my grandfather being alive and kicking as ever at the age of 78 despite having been a gay man in the late 80s and early 90s, and my other grandfather still driving across the country in his RV in his 70s, I'm pretty optimistic about my lifespan.
The lifespan of those around them, on the other hand....

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81857 on: September 22, 2014, 10:40:08 am »

I looked around and it says that melatonin can cause short-lasting feelings of depression or worsen them, that might be linked to your emotionlessness.

Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #81858 on: September 22, 2014, 10:45:18 am »

* scrdest starts laughing.
* scrdest has suffocated.
* scrdest has been struck down!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #81859 on: September 22, 2014, 10:53:54 am »

It doesn't look like it made you sad today :D
I'm with stupid |
                      v

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #81860 on: September 22, 2014, 02:37:22 pm »

It doesn't look like it made you sad today :D

I don't like to suffocate :P
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #81861 on: September 22, 2014, 02:50:48 pm »

My grandmother is finally forgetting to be a psychotic alcoholic who throws hot coffee on other nursing home residents (she's in her...seventh nursing home now?) It's probably a good thing for all parties.

Keep in mind, when my parents were dating back in 1990-91, my father didn't introduce my mother to my grandmother because he was afraid it would blow up in his face. His fears were proven right when she got drunk at the wedding rehearsal dinner and caused some sort of a scene. Since then (despite my father's reassurances that she was not long for this world at the time of their wedding), she's survived being found in her upside-down car on the side of the interstate, being in her car while it was dragged by an eighteen-wheeler for a few miles, getting drunk on Christmas Eve when I was five and cracking her head on the sidewalk, and doing this on a diet of two packs of cigarettes and a gallon of wine a day.

Between my grandmother living a quarter-century beyond her reasonably allotted span, my grandfather being alive and kicking as ever at the age of 78 despite having been a gay man in the late 80s and early 90s, and my other grandfather still driving across the country in his RV in his 70s, I'm pretty optimistic about my lifespan.
The lifespan of those around them, on the other hand....

Especially her pets. Hoo boy. My grandmother enjoyed the company of small dogs, like many women of her age, but was far too addled to keep them. What would happen is that she would adopt a small dog- usually a Yorkshire Terrier or something else diminutive and odious- keep it for a while, then decide she didn't want it any more and drive it a few miles away and abandon it on the side of the road. Then a month or two later she would decide she wanted another small dog and repeat the process. It might have been for the better that her dogs were abandoned after a while, as when we cleaned out her house we discovered some chicken that had been saved for the dogs in her fridge. It had the consistency of gelatin and had turned green.

She also had a canary that she would let fly around the nursing home. My aunt and uncle saved that one, and it now lives happily at their house.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #81862 on: September 22, 2014, 03:13:49 pm »

Wait, so insomnia from the lack of melatonin cause depression, and melatonin cause depression.

What the fuck, body?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81863 on: September 22, 2014, 04:35:21 pm »

It just bothered me more than I'd have thought something like that would, and I don't really know why.
I wouldn't be too worried about it. Footkerchief never posts down here and everyone loves it when he does
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81864 on: September 22, 2014, 04:43:26 pm »

Wait, so insomnia from the lack of melatonin cause depression, and melatonin cause depression.

What the fuck, body?
SCIENCE!
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #81865 on: September 22, 2014, 04:50:24 pm »

What the fuck, body?

The body doesn't work on a 'Huh, we need X. Dump three truckloads of it and we're good for months' basis. Most of everything needs to be kept balanced, and going overboard with either extreme will lead to Badness (TM).

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #81866 on: September 22, 2014, 04:54:33 pm »

Yep. I love depression!
So, my mom wants me to take it for the rest of the week because she believes it has no side effects. Regardless of what the internet says, she says it is natural and can't cause depression...

Or whatever emotionless state I got. Is removal of empathy a symptom of depression?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #81867 on: September 22, 2014, 05:01:47 pm »

Is removal of empathy a symptom of depression?
Depends on how depression is there.
Depression isn't a result or side-effect, but rather a complex notion--in the context of sadness, rather than feeling lacking in energy, that is. The depression part I guess you're talking about and withdrawal of emotion or feeling towards others also have other factors which aren't directly connected to the medicine, but to other factors.
*just hugs Kal*
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 05:07:07 pm by Tiruin »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #81868 on: September 22, 2014, 05:06:30 pm »

As long as it's not actual sociopathy, should be within the reasonable bounds. :P ? :\ ? I'm not sure...

As for 'it's natural!' - tell her arsenic is natural and nightshade is a herb.

As for me, thanks to my lovely uni and its lovely tech, I'm now going to have to stay up to 4 AM or more. And of course, now that I am obliged to stay up, I already feel sleepy and have a headache -_-

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #81869 on: September 22, 2014, 05:11:41 pm »

You can also discuss it pretty openly and plaintively with them.
Pages: 1 ... 5456 5457 [5458] 5459 5460 ... 8156