Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5904 5905 [5906] 5907 5908 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8569524 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #88575 on: February 17, 2015, 10:05:56 pm »

Well... I have a thought but I don't think I can talk about it elegantly enough. It's not that there is a soul though.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88576 on: February 17, 2015, 10:09:58 pm »

I just personally think gender is useless when it's not used to identify biological difference. (i.e. I'm "male" because I can sexually reproduce with "females")

I just wish we were all born intersex, and can switch our sex at will.
And I'm pretty sure that with modern medicine, we could outright change someone's gender to the point of being capable of reproducing as that new gender.
Don't quote me on that, though, cause I'm not a geneticist, but it seems logical to me.

But yeah, if people could change genders at will, that would solve sooooo many problems.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #88577 on: February 17, 2015, 10:12:28 pm »

I don't think it is possible. Biology is hard.

Result of hormonal therapy, btw, is being sterile.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88578 on: February 17, 2015, 10:14:34 pm »

I don't think it is possible. Biology is hard.

Result of hormonal therapy, btw, is being sterile.
Hmm. I suppose it would be considerably more difficult than just transplanting the entirety of the reproductive system...

This is why I'm not a scientist.
The Derail Thread

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #88579 on: February 17, 2015, 10:16:27 pm »

If you find a suitable cadaver and are willing to undergo some trauma you could theoretically transplant your brain to someone else's body.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #88580 on: February 17, 2015, 10:16:48 pm »

Sadly, no, we can't do that. I believe that with sufficient shenanigans we can let any two people breed, but you need a biological woman to offer a place to stash the fetus for a while, and the shenanigans are... well, let's just say you're not likely to be internalizing them any time soon.

Transhumanism is an attractive future for lots of reasons.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #88581 on: February 17, 2015, 10:20:52 pm »

Sometimes I wish I could just scream,
"I will not set myself on fire to keep you warm."
But you could hug them for 2d8 damage per turn, Caroline.
Per. Turn.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88582 on: February 17, 2015, 10:21:15 pm »

If you find a suitable cadaver and are willing to undergo some trauma you could theoretically transplant your brain to someone else's body.
Yeah, but that's your physical brain, not uploading it to a computer chip or something, which I assume is what's causing Descan to go into spasms.

Unless you're talking about doing so for the case of gender reassignment, in which case...
I suppose maybe it could theoretically work? But this also requires a dead person, so I can't imagine many people considering this as an option.

In any case, I certainly would not risk it.

May I sig this? It's perfect for almost any occasion.
The Derail Thread

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #88583 on: February 17, 2015, 10:23:15 pm »

You know, if you ask me, all this "gender" stuff (not the physical stuff, mind you) is really a byproduct of early societies. If no sense of gender roles had ever developed, none of this would have happened.

But that's just me.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88584 on: February 17, 2015, 10:24:30 pm »

but you need a biological woman to offer a place to stash the fetus for a while

We still don't have any machines capable of doing that for us? Huh.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #88585 on: February 17, 2015, 10:29:37 pm »

Man, are you familiar with how much shit women have to do to keep the things alive? I'm no expert any longer, but my recollection suggests that a society capable of building a machine that can carry a pregnancy to term is a society that can actually do that brain transplant sort of thing. Can we just take a minute to appreciate how crazy pregnancy is, and thereby how much crazier it is that it so often gets shrugged off as a minor thing?

You can get surprisingly far in a test tube with the right nutrient baths, and I might be wrong about needing a genetically-female person, but I can definitely guarantee we can't get the whole way through in a machine yet.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 10:31:15 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #88586 on: February 17, 2015, 10:31:04 pm »

Biology is hard :P

I've read an article about how the huge hormone production  in women that are pregnant is because she is in constant combat with the fetus, who is continuously trying to wring more and more nutrients from its mother. Also why the placenta is made of some of the toughest cells in the body, so the mother can better resist the probing tendrils of the baby...

Edit: more specific example. The foetus produces a ton of vasodiliation hormones, the better to get more blood for more nutrients. The mother produces a ton of vasoconstriction hormones, to resist the foetus's efforts. The result? A delicate balance where the baby gets just enough nnutrients to develop. A mother who did not produce enough of the hormone would die.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 10:32:49 pm by Skyrunner »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #88587 on: February 17, 2015, 10:33:05 pm »

Pregnancy is no less than one of the pillars of our mammalian superiority, one of the amazing adaptations that let us conquer the Earth.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88588 on: February 17, 2015, 10:37:39 pm »

Pregnancy is no less than one of the pillars of our mammalian superiority, one of the amazing adaptations that let us conquer the Earth.
+1

It's a taste of our badassery as a species. Embrace the human form. It is the most badass thing you've ever seen.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #88589 on: February 17, 2015, 10:38:06 pm »

May I sig this? It's perfect for almost any occasion.
You can. Just keep in mind I didn't come up with it~
Well you picked a fucking awesome place to use it :P
Pages: 1 ... 5904 5905 [5906] 5907 5908 ... 8156