Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5991 5992 [5993] 5994 5995 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8635668 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #89880 on: March 11, 2015, 07:42:23 am »

~

Most everyone was also certain the world was going to end any minute during the Cold War, but people decided to just get on with living rather than worry about that. It was out of their control anyway. For each thing that worries you analyze (1) "how does this affect me, as an individual", and (2) "can I do anything about it". If they fail either test, stop thinking about them right now. Being worried about such things is the problem.

Focus on things that affect you. If you can't do anything about it, avoid it, pass it off, or ignore it until something changes. If you can think of something, then focus on gradually improving what you can. Channel your worrying into that space. Overweight or unfit? well you can start lifting weights and research better nutrition you can do quick and cheap. If you hate exercise, find ways to combine it with something fun. I combine something I dislike (exercise) but need to spend time on, with something I like but don't have time for (anime). This gives an extra nudge of motivation, since if I slack off I don't get to keep going with the story. Also, fitness and nutrition research is a wealth of information to discover.

But, really, that automation thing is the least of any of our worries. Are you immortal? I'm not. None of us are. We will all die one day. Even if they invent immortality treatment before we die ... then we have the even worse problem of what to do for eternity. That's a possibililty but should I waste more than a couple of seconds worrying about this outcome? Life is pointless because we will die one day, but if we don't die one day things will be even more pointless, except forever, until the sun explodes in 5 billion years, and destroys all of us, except those who escape into space on arks to lead even more pointless lives for another 20 billion years until the universe either collapses into a singularity or heat death freezes the remaining immortal humans.

You can see how focusing this far in the future isn't healthy. Plan a few months ahead if it's a problem thinking about the end of the universe.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 08:00:04 am by Reelya »

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89881 on: March 11, 2015, 07:54:29 am »

<snip>
^Pretty much this.

Take a step back, focus on your immediate surroundings and find your own comfort zone there. Then -maybe, and only when you feel comfortable enough with the idea- expand your view a bit.

To quote a good friend of mine : "C'est pas grave" ("It doesn't matter", a motto that gets him through life with a smile, despite suffering of multiple sclerosis)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #89882 on: March 11, 2015, 08:15:10 am »

Slept turribly. Got to bed at 1. Don't remember when I fell sleep. Woke up regularly and never seemed to fall completely asleep. Have to get up at 8 for a class at 9. Have 3 classes today. Huuuuuuuurgh.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #89883 on: March 11, 2015, 08:24:17 am »

Any body ever wish they could just burn their phones so that other people didn't feel you were obligated to be able to be talked to 24/7?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #89884 on: March 11, 2015, 08:28:29 am »

Any body ever wish they could just burn their phones so that other people didn't feel you were obligated to be able to be talked to 24/7?
"Oops I accidentally dropped if off a skyscraper/threw it in front of a train/beat it to powder with a baseball bat"
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #89885 on: March 11, 2015, 08:30:48 am »

Ya...
I think my life would be much more productive without it but like every other teenager I'm addicted to talking to people
bleeeehhhhhhh
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #89886 on: March 11, 2015, 08:31:14 am »

Ya...
I think my life would be much more productive without it but like every other teenager I'm addicted to talking to people
bleeeehhhhhhh

I hated talking to people as a teen.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #89887 on: March 11, 2015, 08:34:13 am »

Ya...
bleeeehhhhhhh
I'm not, either.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89888 on: March 11, 2015, 09:07:26 am »

For productivity, I've been gradually culling "crapfeeds" from my online life. Stick timewasting sites into the windows host files to redirect to nothing. I'd have to log into the admin account to change the settings so it's an effective block that reminds me to do something more productive. I also wrote a thread-culling script for bay12, it removes threads that I posted in only once from my "unread replies" page, so i only see topics I'm actually interested in.

I culled my facebook friends down to just close actual friends and relatives. Then, I recently decided to literally unfollowed everyone and everything in my facebook newsfeed. I don't even get any status updates now, so I basically have Facebook entirely at a point where I'm in control of what I view, without distractions from stuff I don't need to see.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 09:24:02 am by Reelya »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #89889 on: March 11, 2015, 09:33:35 am »

Why does this make you sad? It seems like you made a decision and stuck by it..
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89890 on: March 11, 2015, 09:35:09 am »

I thought the idea might be helpful to the people who were sad because of being unproductive; too much social media is often a reason. You can hide peoples feeds without unfriending them. So, i just thought, what happens if I hide all the feeds?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 09:37:26 am by Reelya »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #89891 on: March 11, 2015, 09:55:10 am »

I've been thinking about that video for a while, and the main issue I've had with it ever since seeing it is the Luddite horses. Human society doesn't revolve around horses (and never has), so when we could replace them totally we did. Our society does revolve around us. We won't all be replaced; if people want to do something, they'll be able to.do it as a vocation or something.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89892 on: March 11, 2015, 10:18:22 am »

Also, it omits other trends that can be shown to contradict it.

If massive unemployment ensues, then consumption collapses, which also drives down the price for all the robot products and labor. Yeah, the robots undercut labor, but then deflation kicks in and the robots end up undercutting each other until the point anyone can scrape together enough to buy their own robot to produce stuff for them. Home hydroponics robot which grows food? Good stuff.

Plus, with 3D printers appearing, they make people much more self-sufficient for consumer goods. So goods will be cheaper than ever, and replicators like reprap, which can in principle used ground up recycled materials mean that it's now possible to turn anything into a powder then combine that with a cheap resin to make 3D stuff, in your own home. This will further drive down the costs of corporate produced goods. They won't be able to charge $25 for a dinky piece of plastic very soon. They'll see their margins drop, but will they be more profitable in the long run or will the many competing sources of automation drive down profit margins to even lower than now?

We then have software that can make music, art etc, coming down the line. This will potentially make all skilled creative work obselete. But you know, someone still has to make decisions about what the product is going to be. What the doom and gloom viewpoint underestimates by far is the that the demand for content in digital media is bottomless. What's the ideal amount of detail in a game like Skyrim or Fallout 3? Are more streamlined creation tools more likely to put people out of work, or massively expand the possible content, which actually makes the product better and sell more, thus allowing you to hire more people? Procedural Generation hasn't put anyone out of work, it just allows games to have more content. You don't hire 1000 people to hand-craft a continent in a game: you never did.

Ok, lets say it gets to an end-game where even the creative decision makers who control the game creation process are not needed. There's one fatcat company president in a suit who orders a huge rack of computers to produce a game for him. The software designs and builds everything by determining the optimal game that fills his requirements. Well, the problem with this is, this guy isn't a games designer, he's a useless corporate executive running his 1-man company. He's now even shittier than the shittest indie developer, ever, except he's got shinier toys, because they fired everyone with actual talent to save money. I can't honestly believe we will end up in a world where all talent has zero value because computers. Maybe the needed talents will change, but some people will always have more talent at utilizing the modern tech than other people.

Ok, assuming that firing all creatives wasn't a problem because talent is automated: the question would quickly be asked: why do we need this last guy? Why do we even need games companies and capitalism in our games. At this stage of development, capitalism itself will collapse in the games industry and anyone will be able to create the best games ever for themselves or their friends, given enough processor power.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 10:27:05 am by Reelya »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89893 on: March 11, 2015, 10:32:08 am »

I don't get why everybody seems to think that 3D printers are the end to centralized manufacturing, or aren't subject to economics of scale. Sure you can print out a plastic cup for $0.02 or something like that, but a factory in China can manufacture them with more specialized equipment for a hundredth or a thousandth of that price, including transport. The more you think about it, the sillier it gets: What about containers that are filled with food that we buy, like plastic soda bottles? Sure, you can print that bottle, but you can't print the stuff you actually want - the soda. And what about more intricate goods like electronics, or heck, even tupperware? Or stuff made from material entirely unsuitable for use in 3D, like ceramics or wood?
TL;DR: 3D printers are overhyped and will only occupy a few economic niches.

Regarding software-created games, music etc: I could see that coming true for big mainstream stuff, like COD or synth-pop. But ideas out of left field - DF, or early rap music, or the stuff Aphex Twin does, won't be produced by software anytime soon, if ever. I think it's far more likely that programmers and creative types will simply have more advanced tools in the future, that games will be a product of a sort of symbiosis between man and machine.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89894 on: March 11, 2015, 10:33:15 am »

Yeah, they can produce them for the same 2 cents. But they'd have to retail them for 2 cents rather than 50 cents like they do now. That's a 96% drop. Also, it's not just the factory in China, it's all the middle men who lose 100% of the sale.

For soda, more and more sodastream type devices are becoming popular nowadays. Coca Cola even started their own version. Those use CO2, and using a reprap to make a device that carbonates the refills yourself is definitely not high-tech sci fi. You just need flavor, sugar and water then. So you'd be buying from the people who are currently the suppliers of all those companies, cutting a huge chunk of manufacturing and middle men out.

Tupperware and ceramics are both things 3D tech is capable of printing. Wood though, is a material, and big companies do not have a monopoly in working with wood, in fact it is an area where small artisans can actually match the quality of large manufacturers already.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 10:40:08 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 5991 5992 [5993] 5994 5995 ... 8156