Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6018 6019 [6020] 6021 6022 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8573736 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #90285 on: March 20, 2015, 04:53:10 pm »

As disappointed as I am that there will be no further beard wizards, writing is also a noble pursuit.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90286 on: March 20, 2015, 04:59:50 pm »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:10:22 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #90287 on: March 20, 2015, 05:36:20 pm »

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:37:12 pm by penguinofhonor »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #90288 on: March 20, 2015, 06:05:20 pm »

I thought devoting your life to art was basically what you were already doing?

I admit I'm really in no position to argue against you, Vector, on the matter of math's artistic merits though

But with that on top of the game design and poetry translations and stuff
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90289 on: March 20, 2015, 06:07:45 pm »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:10:15 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #90290 on: March 20, 2015, 06:11:30 pm »

That's a mighty damn fine point, I say with the reading comprehension of a 1st grader.

Been a shitty day, looking further back in the thread. I hope Kal isn't dead.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90291 on: March 20, 2015, 06:19:59 pm »

Well, you have a good point. The mathematical language is a rather esoteric one, however.
If anyone had the power to make it less esoteric, it'd be you, because you understand the beauty of both mathematics and language like very few people ever will. If you wrote a book on the "why" of math, as opposed to the empty "how" that gets turned into rote busywork, I would buy it no matter how long I had to save up for it.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90292 on: March 20, 2015, 06:43:18 pm »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:10:06 pm by Vector »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90293 on: March 20, 2015, 07:05:32 pm »

Well, you have a good point. The mathematical language is a rather esoteric one, however.
Errrr... That's not the primary adjective I'd associate mathematical notation with. 'Dense', 'precise', 'formal' are closer, I think. The thing is you can't take away these properties without making it less apt for the purpose it's been designed for.
I guess for many people the core problem with mathematical notation is that it's not meant to be read as quickly as normal language. There's a saying that every good mathematician reads with a pencil in hand; I don't, because I'm not a good mathematician, but in principle I agree with the notion.
Here's a good take on it.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90294 on: March 20, 2015, 07:16:29 pm »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 08:09:59 pm by Vector »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90295 on: March 20, 2015, 07:21:09 pm »

I enter that school at the start of each semester, determined to write my own script for every lecture, but somehow I always drop it after a few weeks...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #90296 on: March 20, 2015, 07:33:22 pm »

So some jerk robbed my co-worker. He went down to open his locker during his break, and found that his lock was missing from the front and all that was in there was his shorts and a stick of his deodorant. His laptop, meds, jacket, ID, bank card, and all that other stuff is missing.

So all my other co-workers took turns checking their lockers, making sure they hadn't been robbed either. Nobody else was, even I wasn't.

So we called security, but they said "So what?", so we called the HEAD of security, who we all know personally because he jokes with us when he buys his coffee. He has my co-worker fill out an incident report, and goes to talk to our Director of Food Services, because he's our boss, but he's gone home for the day. So the incident can't be resolved until Monday. The Head of Security has some suspects in mind, specifically the new contractors doing renovations around that area, but it saddens me that ANYONE would stoop to stealing injections that keep my co-worker from turning back into a girl. Hell, if it is the contractors, they get lots of money from their jobs, and they could buy their own computers and drugs.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Transcendant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90297 on: March 20, 2015, 07:47:06 pm »

Ohio, land of wrongful imprisonment and cheap skates:
http://news.yahoo.com/ohio-man-cleared-murder-39-years-jail-1-063803465.html

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #90298 on: March 20, 2015, 08:30:06 pm »

Ohio, land of wrongful imprisonment and cheap skates:
http://news.yahoo.com/ohio-man-cleared-murder-39-years-jail-1-063803465.html
I've got a similar story in the [extended] family. My sister-in-law's uncle was falsely imprisoned for rape for something like 15 years. Later he successfully won his freedom and a considerable amount of reparation payments, but he's still a registered sex offender so... it's not really what I'd call a victory.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #90299 on: March 20, 2015, 08:33:37 pm »

As disappointed as I am that there will be no further beard wizards, writing is also a noble pursuit.
If Vector 's not going to make any more beard wizards, I feel like we owe it to the world to do something with the concept, because it was awesome. Beard Wizards may be my favorite non-existent anime.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 ... 6018 6019 [6020] 6021 6022 ... 8156