Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6274 6275 [6276] 6277 6278 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8554763 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #94125 on: June 14, 2015, 08:23:43 am »

« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 02:22:35 pm by penguinofhonor »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94126 on: June 14, 2015, 09:22:56 am »

After reading up a little I think you're talking about their youthanasia blitzkrieg?
It conflicts me. People talk about "healthy, adoptable" pets, but I think it's more on the humans. If you can't adequately care for your kid, child services wil take it away, attempt to find a foster home, and, failing that, raise them in an orphanage.
If you can't adequately care for your pet, PETA will take them away from you, attempt to find a foster home, and, failing that, put them in an orphanage, and failing that, kill 'em.

Logically it's one step down the rung of human sentiment. If you can't care for your rat, it'll die on it's own. If you can't care for your plant, etc.

I can't really judge what they're doing as "right" or "wrong" when the capitalism is in clicks, so the punchier story the better. I'm trying to find an impartial blog, but it's proving difficult.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #94127 on: June 14, 2015, 09:36:03 am »

If you can't adequately care for your pet, PETA will take them away from you, attempt to find a foster home, and, failing that, put them in an orphanage, and failing that, kill 'em.
Except they skip the majority of the steps before 'and failing that'.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #94128 on: June 14, 2015, 09:39:57 am »

« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 02:22:27 pm by penguinofhonor »

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94129 on: June 14, 2015, 09:46:22 am »

I can't really judge what they're doing as "right" or "wrong" when the capitalism is in clicks, so the punchier story the better. I'm trying to find an impartial blog, but it's proving difficult.
Always go for the official first-party sources – you'll never be disappointed.

This one's my favourite. <3
Years later, studies are still proving what the masterminds behind PETA’s “Got Beer?” campaign knew all along: Beer is better than milk.

While that pus-filled glass of milk actually depletes your bone mass, a new study shows that beer just might be the key to keeping your bones from going brittle.

So crack open a cold one while we contemplate pulling an oldie but goodie out of the PETA vault.
How can anyone be so utterly right while being demonstrably wrong? :D

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94130 on: June 14, 2015, 09:49:32 am »

The two scenarios you mentioned were both religion-based. Or race-based, however you want to look at Israelites.
Fun fact: There were people who a) weren't considered Jews by the Jews, b) didn't consider themselves Jews, c) weren't considered Jews by any other sane person, but d) were still sent to the concentration camps as Jews. That happened because the Nazi aryanism laws worked differently than the Jewish inheritance laws.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94131 on: June 14, 2015, 11:52:06 am »

Why? What was the defining feature of a Jew in the nazi eye? I thought it was just a Hebrew name.

depending on how anti-capitalist you are.

I'd happily be anti-capitalist if I could think of a better system of government. I don't think that a business should have more money than the ruling government, plus I don't think the untalented and unmotivated progeny of billionaires should get to ride through life.
But I imagine if I was a billionaire I would think differently.

It makes this whole "democracy" thing rather obsolete when the power of the hundreds of millions is handed over to a few hundred people- bribery and corruption being all too easy for the latter but impossibly expensive for the former.

However, the dumb are many and the intelligent are few, so I'm stuck on what to believe.
Argh. Working overnight and having nothing to do but mull on politics. I Hate Thinking.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #94132 on: June 14, 2015, 11:57:35 am »

Arguably being anticapitalist does not mean being anti-industry, either. An old-school communist would want the means of production intact, but in the hands of the working class/state/kholkhotz/whatever.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94133 on: June 14, 2015, 11:57:49 am »

Why? What was the defining feature of a Jew in the nazi eye? I thought it was just a Hebrew name.
Naah, IIRC they had a one-eigth rule: If one of your great-grandparents was Jewish, so were you.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94134 on: June 14, 2015, 12:05:29 pm »

Naah, IIRC they had a one-eigth rule: If one of your great-grandparents was Jewish, so were you.
Plus I believe they had some system of making phenotype-based judgments depending on the shape of your ears, the distance between your eyes, and other bull like that.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #94135 on: June 14, 2015, 12:11:49 pm »

And nose size
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #94136 on: June 14, 2015, 12:12:19 pm »

So not really a sad, more a mix of sad and something, novelty? Not entirely sure.

In any case, the cause is that for the first time since I've known her I don't want to talk to her. Like, it's not that I don't have anything to talk about, there was always something to talk about, and I was always ready for talk. But now? I really really don't want to, it's not even not feeling like it, just this rather strong aversion to the idea of it.

The cause? Well, after some random thinking I realised a rather nasty case of double standards, something I really hate. And even though she keeps saying she's a bad person, all the bad stuff she has done that I know of was in some way justified or excused by something or other. This though, is just shitty behaviour with no excuse that I can think of.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94137 on: June 14, 2015, 12:14:29 pm »

Wait...who has the double standards, she or you? Your wording is sort of ambiguous there.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #94138 on: June 14, 2015, 12:15:45 pm »

Um, she does. Thought it was obvious because of the "something I really hate" part X)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94139 on: June 14, 2015, 12:23:08 pm »

Yeah, I thought so, was just confirming. And you don't want to talk to her because you feel an obligation to confront her over them, but at the same time don't want to argue, and can't manage idle conversation because you're constantly thinking about how you have to confront her about the double standards thing?
I'd talk to her about that, anyway. Like, not argue, just talk. Maybe you're mistaken and there's no double standards thing. Maybe she doesn't realize she does the thing and needs to have it gently pointed out. Maybe whatever, I don't even know what sort of relationship you have with this her, but still, I assume you're fairly close and she will notice that something is wrong anyway with how you don't want to talk to her. So you'll have to address this sooner or later, amirite?
On the other hand, I'm some 19-year old internet stranger. Anything I say might be very far out.
Pages: 1 ... 6274 6275 [6276] 6277 6278 ... 8155