Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6275 6276 [6277] 6278 6279 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8574204 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #94140 on: June 14, 2015, 12:26:28 pm »

She told you for ages what to expect and as soon as she does something along the vein of what she tells you, you find yourself disliking her? Maybe she always was a bad person.
Maybe there's an underlying subjective reason. Why not just talk to her about that, admonishment or whatever.

I tell people I'm bad, but don't generally do bad things. I'm surprised That doesn't piss people off.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 12:29:24 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #94141 on: June 14, 2015, 12:58:24 pm »

It's a bit of a story tbh. But to keep it hopefully short, I don't belive she's a bad person, she did do some shitty things in the past, but again, taking all things into consideration I honestly don't see her as a bad person because of it. And she did do some shitty things to me, but again, I hold myself partially to blame there and don't hold that against her because of that. It's just that something like this is not what I'd expect from someone of her intelligence and character. This isn't something that happened and can be forgiven or explained, this is something that needs to be changed but I'm not sure if she's willing to. Because that's the thing that I think I've figured out about her. She's messed up and as such tends to mess up people that get close to her, but instead of trying to change or get better she keeps hiding behind that damned "I'm bad" excuse.

And that's the thing I think, she's not a bad person she's just scarred and scared and it's the reason why she thinks she's a bad person. And I have no idea how to help her exactly, partially because I'm kinda messed up myself and need to fix myself first and partially because I'm afraid I'll just end up pushing her away because I'm certain she'll resist any attempt I make.

I do plan on talking to her about this, and other things, but that talk isn't happening for another month, mostly because I realised that any attempt I made to fix whatever it is that we have right now was just making everything worse, so I promised I wouldn't do anything for several weeks and hold off any important talks I might want to have with her.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94142 on: June 14, 2015, 01:13:25 pm »

I do plan on talking to her about this, and other things, but that talk isn't happening for another month, mostly because I realised that any attempt I made to fix whatever it is that we have right now was just making everything worse, so I promised I wouldn't do anything for several weeks and hold off any important talks I might want to have with her.
That's good as long as you don't put stuff on hold indefinitely, all the while telling yourself that you'll do it later. But I assume that you already have that possibility in mind.
I dunno how qualified I am to give relationship advice, but in my experience, you're supposed to stumble through things. I mean, you have to be honest with people you care or are trying to care about, and if you're honest and they're honest, then sooner or later you'll run into stuff you disagree about, perhaps even fundamentally. You then have to deal with all that somehow, emphasis on somehow. If you're honest and they're not, then that's already something you have to deal with. There's stumbling to be had. And if everything blows up, then I guess that's what they mean by "it was not meant to be".
I dunno, I may not be as coherent as I thought I was.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #94143 on: June 14, 2015, 01:21:24 pm »

I think The Newsroom just got me shaken up. I'll have to take my theories of how doomed humanity is making itself to /r/changemymind
Sounds about right. At this point we have to start undoing damage we've already done, which is why dangerous and unprecedented geoengineering projects are a less awful idea than they otherwise would be. If they fuck up, maybe we're extinct, but if we don't implement them we certainly are.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #94144 on: June 14, 2015, 01:31:48 pm »

That's good as long as you don't put stuff on hold indefinitely, all the while telling yourself that you'll do it later. But I assume that you already have that possibility in mind.
I dunno how qualified I am to give relationship advice, but in my experience, you're supposed to stumble through things. I mean, you have to be honest with people you care or are trying to care about, and if you're honest and they're honest, then sooner or later you'll run into stuff you disagree about, perhaps even fundamentally. You then have to deal with all that somehow, emphasis on somehow. If you're honest and they're not, then that's already something you have to deal with. There's stumbling to be had. And if everything blows up, then I guess that's what they mean by "it was not meant to be".

That's pretty much my view of how things should work, I've just never had to put it in words like that before.

In any case, thanks for the words and stuff, just knowing that you're being heard out is a big boon.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #94145 on: June 14, 2015, 02:07:57 pm »

Despite going to bed early, I was unable to sleep until 4am.

It's a school day today.

God, how lovely.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94146 on: June 14, 2015, 02:11:55 pm »

That's pretty much my view of how things should work, I've just never had to put it in words like that before.

In any case, thanks for the words and stuff, just knowing that you're being heard out is a big boon.
I'd say you're always welcome, but I have to exercise honesty and say that you're always welcome except when I have a fit of the angries/an existential crisis/both of those at the same time.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94147 on: June 14, 2015, 03:38:57 pm »

Despite going to bed early, I was unable to sleep until 4am.

It's a school day today.

God, how lovely.
Just you wait till it's work day. It's all downhill from where you are now... ignoring that small burst of joy you get when you move out on your own.

Edit: Almost forgot, sad cat is sad.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 03:40:28 pm by Mr. Strange »
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #94148 on: June 14, 2015, 03:57:40 pm »

Just barely got to work, and that ennui towards life because of important parts of my life being missing is already back...

I  can't leave my brain alone for 5 seconds can I?
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94149 on: June 14, 2015, 04:47:36 pm »

How did you reach into my mind and wrench out my thoughts exactly. It's like 'Must always be occupied or mind becomes gaping void of forgotten memories and unclaimed possibilities'.

I think The Newsroom just got me shaken up.
Sounds about right. At this point we have to start undoing damage we've already done, which is why dangerous and unprecedented geoengineering projects are a less awful idea than they otherwise would be. If they fuck up, maybe we're extinct, but if we don't implement them we certainly are.
Yaaaay.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #94150 on: June 14, 2015, 05:02:19 pm »

The way the human minds work is friggin' fun.
Not.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #94151 on: June 14, 2015, 05:06:53 pm »

Not.
Are you implying the human mind works?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #94152 on: June 14, 2015, 05:07:40 pm »

Not.
Are you implying the human mind works?
More or less, but it do work.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94153 on: June 14, 2015, 05:20:47 pm »

I'm just so curious as to what people did back in the day to stave off the existential horror.
Did they just think slower or something? 'Cos otherwise farmers would have to be freaking smart. All of that time spent doing nothing but philosophizing and leading a cow around a paddock.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #94154 on: June 14, 2015, 05:28:18 pm »

I'm just so curious as to what people did back in the day to stave off the existential horror.
Did they just think slower or something? 'Cos otherwise farmers would have to be freaking smart. All of that time spent doing nothing but philosophizing and leading a cow around a paddock.

This is how I imagine farmers back then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD2iYSKHHzo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsXKS8Nyu8Q
Pages: 1 ... 6275 6276 [6277] 6278 6279 ... 8156