Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6276 6277 [6278] 6279 6280 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8541024 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #94155 on: June 14, 2015, 05:31:27 pm »

Well, they kind of had to be focused on farming. Because farming is hard. Like, claim-ownership-over-other-people-so-they-farm-and-you-don't-have-to hard.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #94156 on: June 14, 2015, 05:45:33 pm »

Well, I suppose they found meaning in their families and beliefs.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94157 on: June 14, 2015, 05:49:37 pm »

Farming actually takes up a lot of time. Like, a lot of time. And there's a lot of shit that has to be done right now, as in, not on Tuesday, not in the evening, yes, I don't care that it's five in the morning, get the fuck up and do it. So I guess they did philosophize, and a lot of period literature will tell you just that, but they were sort of busy otherwise.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #94158 on: June 14, 2015, 06:09:54 pm »

"That one looks 12." In reference to me....

Translation: Copped out as a joke, but really an inherent insult saying I'm a stupid kid. Really I'm a prodigy and the person saying this won't face that they are old.

So far I just sit there and stare at them with 50 points deducted from my personal mental assessment of their IQ. I've already accomplished more in my short life than they ever will and they just don't believe it.

I was making a piece of wood furniture base (to be stained and jointed later). My mother scared me half to death by suddenly and loudly calling my name.... That's a great way to loose a finger and thankfully I didn't get hurt this time, but I have been seriously hurt before. She is bewildered why I am upset with her and demanding she not do that around power tools. It's called basic safety, and I can't afford anymore injury.

I don't care anymore. Fuck people. It isn't my duty to cure their lack of understanding or their privilege to do whatever they want until somebody proves them wrong. The idea to prove themselves right is just foreign to them, and placing the burden on the rest of the world is just so much easier for them. I'm not getting physically or mentally hurt anymore.

This is NOT what Socrates wanted and is a fundamental misunderstanding of Socratic Method. Yes, question the world, but offer answers yourself. It wasn't a technique to unexplain the world but rather to explain it.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #94159 on: June 14, 2015, 06:11:32 pm »

I'm just so curious as to what people did back in the day to stave off the existential horror.
Did they just think slower or something? 'Cos otherwise farmers would have to be freaking smart. All of that time spent doing nothing but philosophizing and leading a cow around a paddock.
Famine, bro.

And according to Greek philosophers, they party and get drunk a lot, so I would suppose farmers would do similar. I mean, that's the point of feasts innit?

So I suppose that one nice thing about me having to work is that I'd have less free time. I mean, weekend is the worst time of the week for me.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #94160 on: June 14, 2015, 06:19:58 pm »

Came back from camping. The van I was in broke down on the way and I ended up having to walk home with all my gear and two big bags of groceries in the sun. It was only five blocks, but it was all uphill. :/

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94161 on: June 14, 2015, 06:23:10 pm »

Bible camp from Monday to Saturday. Joy. Time to be bored to death and hear about Jesus and blah blah blah.

I don't like the outdoors and I've never liked church. Even when I was a Christian. Church for five and a half says with activities and food occasionally has never really stood out to me. At least next year I'll have my objections taken seriously when I say 'I don't want to go.'

EDIT: Just a note... I have known for at least a month. Sign ups(to get a t-shirt plus camp) were in may.

Just decided to post now so it's relevant.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 06:26:02 pm by Iceblaster »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #94162 on: June 14, 2015, 06:25:45 pm »

Bible camp from Monday to Saturday. Joy. Time to be bored to death and hear about Jesus and blah blah blah.

I don't like the outdoors and I've never liked church. Even when I was a Christian. Church for five and a half says with activities and food occasionally has never really stood out to me. At least next year I'll have my objections taken seriously when I say 'I don't want to go.'

Whenever I am going to attend something mandatory which I really don't want to, I tend to daydream.
It helps a little.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #94163 on: June 14, 2015, 06:51:26 pm »

Don't forget that in older times there was a ton less that went on in the country after dark. (Yes, I realize how that sounds; get your mind out of the gutter :P). As a result they had a fair bit less time to think in when they are going to bed not that much after sundown.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94164 on: June 14, 2015, 06:56:37 pm »

I'm just so curious as to what people did back in the day to stave off the existential horror.
Did they just think slower or something? 'Cos otherwise farmers would have to be freaking smart. All of that time spent doing nothing but philosophizing and leading a cow around a paddock.
Farming actually takes up a lot of time. Like, a lot of time. And there's a lot of shit that has to be done right now, as in, not on Tuesday, not in the evening, yes, I don't care that it's five in the morning, get the fuck up and do it. So I guess they did philosophize, and a lot of period literature will tell you just that, but they were sort of busy otherwise.

Modern day farming to me has seemed like "There are sheep. Ride through the paddock, counting the sheep. Do you still have the same amount of sheep as you did yesterday? Hooray. Time to turn in." (*~30days)*10months. Month 1 and 6 are 'Wildly attempt to find passing freelance shearers who can sheer/crutch the sheep, along with a freelance woolworker who can grade the wool. Work in shed. Put wool in big press. Press wool into bales. Label bales. Truck wool away, get paid a pittance.
... There are sheep'

The excitement to be found in farm work is when the old (older the better) farm equipment inevitably breaks down, you have a few afternoons which you may spend fixing it, plus a few weeks ordering the parts to be airdropped to your fucknowhere piece of land.

I had spent exactly 18 years on a farm (albeit only really able to understand for the latter ones) and I still haven't yet seen a reason for the 'up at dawn' preference farmers seem to have.
Other than a heat thing, plus I guess livestock in stockades are more docile when they're bleary.

If you want to know about Crop farming... Well... 'Man holding piece of string' has nothing on 'man driving giant car up and down a mile-long paddock, doing ten yard rows'.

Like, claim-ownership-over-other-people-so-they-farm-and-you-don't-have-to hard.

I have mentioned this I think a thousand times but it is so goddamn interesting to me for some reason that I continually mention it again. 'Stations' back in the olden days were when a person owned so much land that nobody could get Into their land in order to work in a day. So they built villages to keep their workers in - but the villages still belonged to them.
So the multiple farmhands who worked on this station all paid rent to the station head, were fed by the station cook, received mail from the station post-office, bought their sundries from the station shoppe, and got pissed at the station pub.
Who needs to own someone if you can own their entire source of income and their means of spending it?
So I suppose that one nice thing about me having to work is that I'd have less free time. I mean, weekend is the worst time of the week for me.

I have so many games on steam and the only thing keeping me from playing them all is Ennui.
Plus, I guess, MMO's.

I dunno, I would regard parents suddenly and loudly shouting my name in order to get my attention a very normal and everyday occurrence.
I mean, the shouting should technically be necessary because of the aforementioned power tools.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #94165 on: June 14, 2015, 06:58:42 pm »

Have you considered competitive multiplayer games like MOBAs? It's like work, except your colleagues are shit-talking children or language-barrier'd asians. You feel compelled to practice more so that you can own the bastards.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94166 on: June 14, 2015, 07:07:28 pm »

I worked hard and got into gold-league in LOL.
Then realized I had worked hard to get into gold-league.
... MOBAs are not my special talent.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94167 on: June 14, 2015, 09:11:36 pm »

I'm still sick. Both my Chemistry and French finals start a few days from now. I'm probably going to have to see about taking the tests on optional days, because this is absolutely ridiculous.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #94168 on: June 14, 2015, 10:23:14 pm »

If you can't adequately care for your pet, PETA will take them away from you, attempt to find a foster home, and, failing that, put them in an orphanage, and failing that, kill 'em.
Except they skip the majority of the steps before 'and failing that'.

And the last one is also completely unnecessary. As Tack also pointed out, "if you can't care for your rat it'll die on it's own.

PETA is more like the Mooninites from Aqua Teen Hunger Force dealing with furniture that they've stolen, "This dresser bores me. Get rid of it; burn it to the ground so that no one else can have it either."

Generally, it's advisable to have something like a swarm of dilos/raptors and a holding pen. The dilos/raptors to murder people, raptors to murder people, and the pen to stop your pets being dumbasses and wandering off to die.

At first I read dilos/raptors as "dildos/raptors".

and I read "dildos/raptors" as "dildoraptors". I wonder what a dildoraptor would look like...

What is the issue with all of the 'bad guys' in today's movies being well-intentioned extremists.

I mean, even in the Avengers, Ultron was all 'Humanity has to become better to survive', and kingsmen was all about environmental awareness.
I'm really not sure how to feel about this. It's like we're being lauded for our stagnancy.
It's realistic. "Villains" throughout human history generally haven't done evil to be evil. Hitler thought he was making the world a better place. ISIS thinks it's making the world a better place.

It also tends to be more interesting. If the villain has some sort of ideal that we can respect, we can relate to them a bit instead of just viewing them as a force that drives the plot.

Sort of agree, sort of disagree. It contributes to the movie, but to me it generally contributes by making the villain more hatable. For example, Skynet is frightening, but it doesn't inspire the kind of personal hatred and contempt that the computer from I, Robot did. Original Trilogy Darth Vader was cool, Revenge of the Sith Darth Vader was a whiny asshat. Jigsaw is more hateable than mpst other horror-movie villains; at least Ghostface isn't a sanctimonious ass. When I saw Elysium I felt that it ended with something of an anticlimax because Kreugar had already killed the Delacourt, who I viewed as the worse villain due to the fact that she was a paranoid fanatic (as described in her speech about her children) whereas Kreugar was merely a maniac (to the point where Kreugar killing her in cold blood actually made him a more sympathetic character).

ALSO, this isn't exactly a new phenomenon, it dates back at least to the 1860's. The villain from Les Miserables was fighting for law and order.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 12:27:32 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #94169 on: June 14, 2015, 10:26:51 pm »

I'm in the bathroom before going home since food get and holy shit 7 hours since last bathroom break.

They're piping the music into here. There's a speaker IN HERE.

This is so distractIng I can't go.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 6276 6277 [6278] 6279 6280 ... 8155