Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6712 6713 [6714] 6715 6716 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8472708 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #100695 on: January 12, 2016, 05:00:24 pm »

But we're worse at not destroying the planet now than then.
Only because we're smart enough to damage its biosphere in a meaningful way. What could pre-industrial societies do, run a bunch of cattle off a cliff? Boo fucking hoo I'll be crying for them while I just dump these litres of acidic chemicals into this river. Scrubs.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100696 on: January 12, 2016, 05:10:52 pm »

I'm crap at talking to people I don't know. At all.

Same. But people generally aren't worth talking to.

They're terrible.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #100697 on: January 12, 2016, 05:15:50 pm »

yeah, but some of them are really great

i mean, not me, obviously, but some other folks probably
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #100698 on: January 12, 2016, 05:20:45 pm »

I'll never turn down an opportunity to talk with most people, even terrible ones

Our mote of dust is not best lived on solitary, without bants

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #100699 on: January 12, 2016, 05:49:21 pm »

This is true. It can be proven based upon London's famous consumption of coal.

Regardless, things are still pretty bad.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #100700 on: January 12, 2016, 06:47:17 pm »

But we're worse at not destroying the planet now than then.
Only because we're smart enough to damage its biosphere in a meaningful way. What could pre-industrial societies do, run a bunch of cattle off a cliff? Boo fucking hoo I'll be crying for them while I just dump these litres of acidic chemicals into this river. Scrubs.
git gud, pre-industrial noobs

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #100701 on: January 12, 2016, 07:29:13 pm »

This is true. It can be proven based upon London's famous consumption of coal.

Regardless, things are still pretty bad.

Worth noting, the Industrial Revolution Brittons realized that they were eventually going to run out of trees, so they jumped onto fossil coal deposits as a more sustainable alternative.

In that way they were better than current moguls that plug their ears about the oil running out at some point.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100702 on: January 12, 2016, 07:35:51 pm »

By definition, they have. Since pre-industrial society has become industrial society.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100703 on: January 12, 2016, 07:53:33 pm »

Got the class lists for future Thursdays. Crush isn't in my class, and tbh I'm not sure how I feel about that. Somewhere I think we could still have talked like usual after I asked her out? Would've been interesting to find out. But now I probably won't ever find out. Oh well. On the other hand, me being in a class with my crush who just rejected me and some of her friends would probably have been really frustrating. Meh.

So who is in my class? There's only three (?) guys in the class, including me. All the rest are girls. One guy I don't know and the other I dislike, but both are more social than me. I don't really see this not ending with me sitting awkwardly in a corner, as always. I just can't handle talking in a group to people I don't know well when they know eachother well. I never end up actually participating >.>

E: oh, nvm, looks like it's time for us to discuss the workings of the forums in depth in the sad thread again.

I've had some similar things happen - basically, I had a crush on someone a few years ago but then I barely saw her due to school scheduling stuff. The nice thing was that it showed me that there were all kinds of other people.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100704 on: January 12, 2016, 08:29:54 pm »

By definition, they have. Since pre-industrial society has become industrial society.
Nah I'm pretty sure they're all dead.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #100705 on: January 12, 2016, 09:08:35 pm »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stephen-peters/ben-carson-says-hed-consi_b_8958500.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Really?

I have to live a lie enough as it is. Taking away the small progress we've made for no reason and no gain is just insane. There's no benefit to anyone to doing this at all and there's so much bane. He's just going against every last shred of evidence. I mean really. What the Hell?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 09:10:43 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100706 on: January 12, 2016, 09:18:16 pm »

Progress or not, by 100 years we'll all be gone, and by a few billion everything we've done, every legacy, deed, goal, and accomplishment will be forgotten, forever. At this point, I've realized my voice isn't loud enough to effect anything serious, so I only speak when I have to. Why do you care so much when it won't matter in time? If he can't change anything, nothing to worry about. If he can, there's nothing anyone here can do, so why worry? I'm not trying to offend you or insult you, and if I have somehow, I'm sorry, but why worry about what you don't have the power to change?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #100707 on: January 12, 2016, 09:26:08 pm »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stephen-peters/ben-carson-says-hed-consi_b_8958500.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Really?

I have to live a lie enough as it is. Taking away the small progress we've made for no reason and no gain is just insane. There's no benefit to anyone to doing this at all and there's so much bane. He's just going against every last shred of evidence. I mean really. What the Hell?
It won't work, that's for sure. Discriminating by "LGBT" is only reasonable as the implication it serves. The judgement and logical process is lacking, and it detracts from critical thinking for something wholesomely beneficial (to the state and otherwise--given the role of the military).

It makes me sad though. This Ben Carson guy, who seemingly is going for a position of authority, really looks like he's thinking much less than someone who can actually serve well. :-\ Strange thing to see people going for these things, because it follows the precedent that 'he didn't think about this' holistically.

Progress or not, by 100 years we'll all be gone, and by a few billion everything we've done, every legacy, deed, goal, and accomplishment will be forgotten, forever. At this point, I've realized my voice isn't loud enough to effect anything serious, so I only speak when I have to. Why do you care so much when it won't matter in time? If he can't change anything, nothing to worry about. If he can, there's nothing anyone here can do, so why worry? I'm not trying to offend you or insult you, and if I have somehow, I'm sorry, but why worry about what you don't have the power to change?
That's the mistaken thinking of superficial logic. :-\ Belittling yourself to comparison and temporal degrees leaves you open to not seeing what level your thoughts will follow. It's the essence of the action that matters, instead of 'Oh in all this time we'll be gone. Nothing matters'. It's what is currently being done--for the present and for the future, that defines what's going to happen.

The very things you see today are a product of those who acted before--malicious or benevolent. Please take note that if you may say
Why do you care so much when it won't matter in time?
It also reflects your own thinking, instead of challenging the other person's woes [also it may be impolite because it verges on what the other person says, and adds a tinge of apathy to it, which won't help at all because of context-dependency].
If he can, there's nothing anyone here can do, so why worry?
This bit too. Because this person is acting on an idea which belittles other people because of very illogical and lacking reasons. Point in the orange bit there--that's not something you can throw out as if people cannot do anything because of what other people have done.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100708 on: January 12, 2016, 09:36:29 pm »

That's the mistaken thinking of superficial logic. :-\ Belittling yourself to comparison and temporal degrees leaves you open to not seeing what level your thoughts will follow. It's the essence of the action that matters, instead of 'Oh in all this time we'll be gone. Nothing matters'. It's what is currently being done--for the present and for the future, that defines what's going to happen.
The very things you see today are a product of those who acted before--malicious or benevolent.
It doesn't matter what I think. I don't hold any power, voice, or sway over anyone who makes or could make any meaningful decisions. My thoughts don't matter here, so there's no point in stating them. And the essence of the action? Meaning behind it? What do you mean? So our intent in what we do is what decides its relevance? It's morality? Or am I not understanding you completely?
Please take note that if you may say
Why do you care so much when it won't matter in time?
It also reflects your own thinking, instead of challenging the other person's woes [also it may be impolite because it verges on what the other person says, and adds a tinge of apathy to it, which won't help at all because of context-dependency].
Yes. I'll admit that. I went... off, here.
If he can, there's nothing anyone here can do, so why worry?
This bit too. Because this person is acting on an idea which belittles other people because of very illogical and lacking reasons. Point in the orange bit there--that's not something you can throw out as if people cannot do anything because of what other people have done.
So if, for example, this guy were to be put in the position to enact his idea, could any of us here do anything about it that would be of any relevance to the decision or anyone who put this decision into action?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 09:38:58 pm by BlackHeartKabal »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100709 on: January 12, 2016, 09:38:12 pm »

I have to say.  Ben Carson has lost the respect I once had for him.

And yes we COULD stop a runaway President.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 6712 6713 [6714] 6715 6716 ... 8153