Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6769 6770 [6771] 6772 6773 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8473424 times)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #101550 on: February 04, 2016, 06:45:49 pm »

~~~
Yeah, how dare those businessmen try to make money, it's disgusting

This argument makes me sad.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #101551 on: February 04, 2016, 06:52:45 pm »

Yes, paying 30-ish bucks a month for a product that's constantly being updated and worked on is way worse than shelling out 500+ dollars on something every couple of years. And offering a superior service for less money is heinous practice indeed if it means that people who were forced to use free options will now switch to that because they can finally afford it.

Uh, 30*24 is, like, $720. That's kind of more than $500. I'm just saying.

Those were from memory, I went and checked, cheapest sub for CC is 20 bucks a month, while the cheapest CS6 you can get is 700 dollars.

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101552 on: February 04, 2016, 06:54:38 pm »

I discovered Krita recently. Free, open source, can handle PhotoShop files... I've never used PhotoShop so I can't compare it, and have barely used Krita so far too. But, hey. Could be with a look if you don't want to give Adobe any money.  :P

Jopax: Hah, okay. That works out better.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #101553 on: February 04, 2016, 09:51:26 pm »

~~~
Yeah, how dare those businessmen try to make money, it's disgusting

This argument makes me sad.

It's us vs them.

If its feasible for comparable products to reach the consumer for free than yes, it is disgusting that corporations try to make money. Businesses exist only to supply what we the consumers demand; this is the totality of their value; profits and wages are a necessary evil at best. This business model comprimises that purpose.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 09:59:18 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101554 on: February 04, 2016, 10:17:19 pm »

Looks like this is gonna be one of those weekends where I have too much I want to do and not enough money to do it...
It's not as bad as it sometimes is, I guess. Although I will be pretty poor by the end of it. :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #101555 on: February 04, 2016, 10:19:13 pm »

I don't like capitalism either but you're complaining about the fundamental way it works - goods in exchange for money - without proposing an alternative, which is silly.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #101556 on: February 04, 2016, 10:22:18 pm »

Славный советский коммунизм совершенная замена!

But yes, in all seriousness, while I do agree with Bohan, there has to be a viable replacement, however basic, before another system can be thrown away. It's possible that "Economic Anarchy"  or somesuch could be that replacement, but it has to be there.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101557 on: February 04, 2016, 10:27:25 pm »

If we smash the system do I get more beer money? Or does beer money itself become an outdated concept?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #101558 on: February 04, 2016, 10:30:24 pm »

В славном советском Россия, вы делаете ваше собственное пиво!

I have heard stories of soviet apartment complexes each having their own vodka distillation rig.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #101559 on: February 04, 2016, 10:32:37 pm »

Had to do something while waiting in bread lines, I guess.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #101560 on: February 04, 2016, 10:36:21 pm »

Namely drink strong alchohol to help with the fallout from Chernobyl.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #101561 on: February 04, 2016, 10:50:01 pm »

Славный советский коммунизм совершенная замена!

But yes, in all seriousness, while I do agree with Bohan, there has to be a viable replacement, however basic, before another system can be thrown away.

Well the replacement for photoshop at any rate is GIMP.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #101562 on: February 04, 2016, 11:02:17 pm »

I don't like capitalism either but you're complaining about the fundamental way it works - goods in exchange for money - without proposing an alternative, which is silly.

What I don't like is the suggestion that somehow corporations can't be criticized for sleazy scumbaggery, just because they exist to make money. Companies can be big smelly scumbags, some far more than others. If calling them out on it makes me silly, then silly I shall be!

In fact I believe many good things have been achieved by enough people going 'Hey, you scumbag!' at the same time. And if not at least its pleasantly relieving.

And sadly in terms of quality and functionality nothing quite equals Photoshop yet. Meaning if you want the best, your stuck with a yucky subscription AND a non-Linux OS. Tis a sad state of things.

I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101563 on: February 04, 2016, 11:15:28 pm »

GIMP is awful, though. Try Krita. Did I already say this here?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #101564 on: February 04, 2016, 11:18:41 pm »

What I don't like is the suggestion that somehow corporations can't be criticized for sleazy scumbaggery, just because they exist to make money. Companies can be big smelly scumbags, some far more than others. If calling them out on it makes me silly, then silly I shall be!
You can call them out on it, but at least call out the sleazy scumbags.

Adobe going to a subscription model is not very sleazy scumbaggy, in my oppinion.
Pages: 1 ... 6769 6770 [6771] 6772 6773 ... 8153