Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7392 7393 [7394] 7395 7396 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8638755 times)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #110895 on: May 25, 2017, 12:52:52 pm »

So you're telling me we're in for a real humdinger of a social upheaval.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110896 on: May 25, 2017, 01:37:49 pm »

Part of the upheaval is the transition between older and newer generations of feminism.

Basically, if I say anything it's that the older generation are gender absolutists, this comes through in a lot of the Germaine Greer-era feminist leaders being massive bigots against transgender people. e.g. they claim to be against the patriarchy and about tearing down gender lines, but they can't even think outside of those lines.

e.g. they've accepted that women can do all the good things men can do (be good at maths, science, sports etc), but they refused to extend the concept of equality to seeing that both genders can do bad things as well. They still adhere to the "sugar and spice and all things nice" / "slugs and snails and puppy dogs tails" logic.

e.g. I've linked this before:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/hetpat/2013/09/04/the-startling-facts-on-female-sexual-aggression/
Basically a number of people (on this forum even, no names) have in the past critiqued the survey results listed in that link, but the nature of the critiques were often literally like they were out of some rape apologetics playbook written by male rapists. Funny that, it turns out that when trying to downplay statistics of female assaults on males the first things that come to mind are identical to the arguments used by people downplaying male assaults on females. It's really food for thought. Rape apologetics arguments should never be accepted, the gender of the stated victim/perpetrator shouldn't even be an issue.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 01:46:35 pm by Reelya »

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110897 on: May 25, 2017, 01:45:34 pm »

Grocery stores do not accept sunshine and happiness as legal tender.  Nor can my car use it as an energy source.
Not yet but JUST YOU WAIT (the happiness is for cloudy days & nights).
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #110898 on: May 25, 2017, 02:23:02 pm »

Got 4 wisdom teeth (that had come in mostly right) removed.  This is the first big surgery I've had and the vicodin is doing nothing.  i don't know why but it really hurts.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #110899 on: May 25, 2017, 03:09:38 pm »

Vicodin is not used in the Netherlands. Don't know if you have the brand over where you are, but from all the non-prescription painkillers available at the supermarket, I found ibuprofen to be the most effective against tootache. just don't go over the advised dosage, cause it's not too friendly for stomach and liver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibuprofen

If all is well though, the wounds should stop hurting within a day or two. At least that's what I recall from the two times I had 2 wisdom teeth removed.
There's worse dental treatments. I recently had a 'deep cleaning' of my gums done. Didn't stop hurting for a week, after which it was time to do the same treatment to the other side of my face, which also didn't stop hurting for a week. I spent 2 and a half weeks drugged up on a combination of ibuprofen and paracetamol. Don't think I've ever used medicine for such a long period in my life ever before.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110900 on: May 25, 2017, 03:38:10 pm »

I feel like I'm trapped in a mental prison of constantly feeling the need to rethink my life. I've denied myself personal internet access on the idea that I will *force* myself to get out there and do something meaningful, fix all my problems, get into a relationship, and be happy or whatever, but it's been like half a year of that and I don't think I'm doing very well. I not only feel totally stagnant, but I just get emotionally crushed with guilt and feelings of failure at every setback, big or small. I'm not sure what I should do.

I talked with my friend, and he suggests getting a new job, and honestly he might be right, but still I just feel so goddamn lost all the time, every day.

Ignoring my ennui, there's also my Mom, who's living in a new apartment now, is (*SURPRISE*) paranoid that her "Nigerian Anesthesiologist Neighbor" is going to drill a hole in her ceiling and poison her with gas. She fucking woke me up to tell me this bullshit. She left her old home because she was paranoid that her neighbors THERE were poisoning her. With her it's a fucking worldwide conspiracy where everyone is trying to get her, and I'm the only one who can help, when I obviously can't because holy shit Mom stop being retarded. I might need to have my Mom committed if she keeps up with shit.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #110901 on: May 25, 2017, 04:33:24 pm »

Vicodin is not used in the Netherlands. Don't know if you have the brand over where you are, but from all the non-prescription painkillers available at the supermarket, I found ibuprofen to be the most effective against tootache. just don't go over the advised dosage, cause it's not too friendly for stomach and liver.

If all is well though, the wounds should stop hurting within a day or two. At least that's what I recall from the two times I had 2 wisdom teeth removed.
There's worse dental treatments. I recently had a 'deep cleaning' of my gums done. Didn't stop hurting for a week, after which it was time to do the same treatment to the other side of my face, which also didn't stop hurting for a week. I spent 2 and a half weeks drugged up on a combination of ibuprofen and paracetamol. Don't think I've ever used medicine for such a long period in my life ever before.

Hmmm, most likely nothing will happen, but we tend to recommend avoiding NSAIDs after marrow biopsies. Soo... I'd kind of advise precaution. I have this recollection of a guy who got a tooth implant with lowish platelets... the subsequent blood collection in the gum was rather ugly
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #110902 on: May 25, 2017, 04:50:36 pm »

Does removing wisdom teeth classify as a marrow biopsy? Personally I'm not too worried about my blood platelets though.
Just last week I had some blood drawn for a precautionary check on liver and thyroid values (getting close to 40, I am, and there's diabetes and both increased thyroid activity as well as decreased thyroid activity in the family), and I astounded the nurse, just like the last time I had blood drawn. My blood clotting is so good, I didn't need a bandaid. Just holding a gauze on my arm for 30 seconds is enough to have it close up and not bleed.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 04:57:24 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110903 on: May 25, 2017, 04:59:39 pm »

This is nothing new. Every important issue gets really nasty - gay rights required riots, and race relations almost reached the point of full scale insurrection and civil war before King provided a rallying point for those seeking A Better Way. The only real difference with modern issues is that the echo chambers are a lot more visible, and that makes them look nastier.

Gay Riots huh? *Imagination*

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #110904 on: May 25, 2017, 05:01:08 pm »

I watched Alien: Covenant. The ending was sad.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #110905 on: May 25, 2017, 05:10:25 pm »

Does removing wisdom teeth classify as a marrow biopsy? Personally I'm not too worried about my blood platelets though.
Just last week I had some blood drawn for a precautionary check on liver and thyroid values (getting close to 40, I am, and there's diabetes and both increased thyroid activity as well as decreased thyroid activity in the family), and I astounded the nurse, just like the last time I had blood drawn. My blood clotting is so good, I didn't need a bandaid. Just holding a gauze on my arm for 30 seconds is enough to have it close up and not bleed.

No... but its sort of minor surgery, so its on the level.

Tbh I've had my minions do trephines to people with severe thrombocytopenia with few ill effects, so the 'no ibuprofen' rule is more of a precaution rather than an unbreakable rule.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110906 on: May 25, 2017, 05:21:18 pm »

Ignoring my ennui, there's also my Mom, who's living in a new apartment now, is (*SURPRISE*) paranoid that her "Nigerian Anesthesiologist Neighbor" is going to drill a hole in her ceiling and poison her with gas. She fucking woke me up to tell me this bullshit. She left her old home because she was paranoid that her neighbors THERE were poisoning her. With her it's a fucking worldwide conspiracy where everyone is trying to get her, and I'm the only one who can help, when I obviously can't because holy shit Mom stop being retarded. I might need to have my Mom committed if she keeps up with shit.

That sounds like paranoid schizophrenia or something. Not normal paranoid. EDIT: Fear of people plotting to poison you is even the first symptom mentioned in WebMD:
http://www.webmd.com/schizophrenia/guide/schizophrenia-paranoia#1

Delusions are beliefs that seem real to you, even when there's strong evidence they aren't. Paranoid delusions, also called delusions of persecution, are rooted in fear and anxiety. They might make you feel like:

A co-worker is trying to hurt you, like poison your food.
    Your spouse or partner is cheating on you.
    The government is spying on you.
    People in your neighborhood are plotting to harass you.

One thing worth checking: is she a heavy smoker by any chance? That's one of the most common correlations with schizophrenia.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 05:26:44 pm by Reelya »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #110907 on: May 25, 2017, 06:05:42 pm »

I might need to have my Mom committed if she keeps up with shit.
You're not wrong for thinking that. At the very least, get her to seek out a phychiatrist.
If she actually thinks the neighbor is poisoning her, it's not a situation that you can allow to linger. For all you know, she could kill him genuinely believing it's in self defense. A paranoia that's on the level of fearing for your life is dangerous.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #110908 on: May 25, 2017, 10:10:16 pm »

I actually ended up doing that.  Ibuprofen was all I had on hand.  At first I thought that the pain was just so bad that even vicodin wasn't enough, but then a not-that-large amount of advil took most of the edge off and I could almost sleep.  Later doses of vicodin and advil followed the same pattern.

It looks like I'm one of those rare individuals that straight up can't digest vicodin.  It has no effects one me, it didn't make me loopy, it didn't even upset my stomach or make me thirsty.  The sugar in a placebo probably would have had a greater effect on my body.  Not a pleasant discovery but better I find out on this than on a more intense surgery.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #110909 on: May 26, 2017, 03:30:29 am »

That you didnt get high doesnt mean that it didnt have an effect. Getting high is not the point of the drug. Pain relief is.

I daresay that not having side effects was good news, rather than bad.
Pages: 1 ... 7392 7393 [7394] 7395 7396 ... 8156