Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7701 7702 [7703] 7704 7705 ... 7846

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 4344724 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #115530 on: February 09, 2018, 10:52:18 am »

Well one, time I was at the laundromat, talked to this random girl (it was just us in there), the topic shifted over to games, turns out she was a Dwarf Fortress player, with a bay12 account, no less, though she's a lurker. So yeah, go for it, since you never know.
The problem then becomes "how do I start a conversation with a random person I know nothing about".

I guess I could just ask questions and get to know them but that only works if the person I'm talking to wants to talk to me and is willing to talk to me, a random stranger they don't know, about themselves.

Ah don't worry about it Spehss. Let me tell you, I got a girl's phone number recently... I know, right?... but then she just ignores me when I text her. So I'm like "Ah, snubbed again!" as I trash that number and go about my week, only kinda disappointed. The moral of the story is that this pessimistic second-guessing of yourself is not only deluded egocentric behavior, I would argue it's demeaning towards this hypothetical girl. That is to say, that presuming to know what someone else is thinking or feeling is arrogant and belittling to the other person, because hey, you don't need to talk to them, you have their whole thought pattern already mapped out.

Now, you might think "Naw Josh, I'm just afraid of rejection, and that speaking to her is just inviting that rejection that will finalize the negative beliefs I have about myself!" and I'm saying that that negativism is itself a delusion of grandeur. One can't truly know the future, or what is happening in anyone's head, the loosest presumption of such reveals that you don't know what you're talking about.

I don't like giving advice Spehss, I think the problems of everyone here are too complex for any anonymous stranger to mend in even the slightest way, and that assuming that I can is simply the height of arrogance, but I'm in a rare good mood so here's what I say: Just let her reject you. If you're so certain that she'll find you intrusive, unattractive, creepy, or (and this is the one that kills people) so uninteresting as to be unworthy of conversation, then just let her reject you so you can regain this little bit of agency and certainty in life, cause that WILL make you happy, even if the rejection hurts. That you agonize over talking to this girl, she is inflicting unhappiness on you without her even knowing it, she has so much control over the emotional state of someone she has never spoken to! But by you coming forward, and giving her that chance to reject you, why, both parties involved finally have closure, it's the finality of actually performing the experiment rather than simply allowing the hypothesis to languish in your mind where it can remain uncertain forever. It's that uncertainty and feeling of having no control in your life that is making you unhappy for certain, everything else you think is making you unhappy is in fact illusory, and regaining control and certainty, even through a negative outcome, definitely will improve your outlook on life.

The short version: You don't need a woman to make you happy, you just need your balls back, and you have to go get those yourself.

And if she doesn't reject you? Afraid I can't help you there, if you've read my posts, you know that's unexplored territory for me!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 10:54:49 am by JoshuaFH »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Bonfire&Chill
    • View Profile
« Reply #115531 on: February 10, 2018, 12:50:42 pm »

Just found out that the brilliant composer Johan Johannsson died :C
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."
AS - IG

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115532 on: February 10, 2018, 01:12:14 pm »

Minor sad, but one of the drives in my home server died yesterday. I think the guy I bought it from loaded it with parts that are either off-brand (dmidecode doesn't give me any details on the RAM besides size and speed so I'm assuming it's no-name) or on the way out (all of the drives are older than the suggested replacement).

greatorder

• Bay Watcher
  • [FAPPING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115533 on: February 11, 2018, 11:47:02 pm »

I thought that one of my assignments was due in on the 14th of March. Turns out it's the 14th of February.

Why did I think that? Because that's what it says on the fucking practical sheet. It was only once I checked turnitin I found that the date was, in fact, wrong.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #115534 on: February 13, 2018, 05:36:32 pm »

In Cameroon, 6 soldiers and two park rangers were killed by a gang of heavily armed elephant poachers. Authorities say they invaded from the neighboring country of Tsjaad.
Since a massacre in 2012 claimed the lives of 128 elephants within two months, about 100 man military personell are permanently stationed in the national park.
According to the WWF representative in Cameroon, the country needs international military aid to combat the poachers.

Wildlife protection is becoming more and more dangerous. Last year, 197 wildlife protectors were killed, with African park rangers being overrepresented on that list.
In the past 10 years, at least 110 thousand elephants have been poached for their ivory.
In 1979 there were 1.3 million elephants left in Africa. In 2016, according to the Great Elephant Census, there were at most 350 thousand left.
Optimists have just used up the last bit of hope. Run for your lives!

Enjoy the freedom to explore the limits of your constraints

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115535 on: February 13, 2018, 05:38:25 pm »

Lets start using armored vehicles and Gatling guns to defend elephants (not even joking)

Cinder

• Bay Watcher
  • Can't sleep, catboys will eat me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115536 on: February 13, 2018, 06:27:12 pm »

Guess my antidepressants aren't working.
If you teleport to your bed, it's alcohol.

Cinder x flame99 x BlackHeartKabal is my OT3

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • :thonk:
    • View Profile
« Reply #115537 on: February 13, 2018, 06:33:59 pm »

I haven't even gotten the bloody antidepressants yet.  I've been trying to take St. John's Wort in the month's wait to even get a prescription, its allegedly an anti-depressant of some sort.

But honestly there's very few days now where I'm not considering hurting myself.
No game.
Only loot box.

Cinder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115538 on: February 13, 2018, 07:26:14 pm »

Okay at least I'm not that depressed.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115539 on: February 13, 2018, 09:22:30 pm »

Make sure you talk to your person about taking it, it can have very bad anti-depressant interactions when taken simultaneously.
This is why random internet fools should NEVER become the Grim Reaper. It just causes problems.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #115540 on: February 13, 2018, 10:12:13 pm »

Well one, time I was at the laundromat, talked to this random girl (it was just us in there), the topic shifted over to games, turns out she was a Dwarf Fortress player, with a bay12 account, no less, though she's a lurker.
My lord, the odds on this man. Shoulda used that luck to by a lottery ticket.

I'm sad because I spoke to the woman I was interested in, and discovered A) She has a wonderful personality and I genuinely enjoyed talking to them quite a bit, and B) they're in a happy, long-term relationship. Oh well... I was expecting to be alone anyway.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115541 on: February 14, 2018, 05:11:01 am »

Edit: haha nevermind I'm all happy again. You needn't worry about me.

To all of y'all what be sad and lonely and such on this here Valentine's Day, just remember that Yoink loves you. <3 <3 <3 <3
Also this rum is so bloody cheap, this is excellent.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 05:37:07 am by Yoink »
Somehow Yoink looks as much a pirate as the man dressed as one. Probably even has rum stashed near him somewhere
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Cinder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115542 on: February 14, 2018, 05:52:12 am »

Alcohol: the cause and solution to all problem

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115543 on: February 14, 2018, 06:58:53 am »

I dunno about the first part, I mean, I'm pretty sure my brain chemistry was faulty to begin with, but the latter is almost definitely true! :D
Somehow Yoink looks as much a pirate as the man dressed as one. Probably even has rum stashed near him somewhere
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #115544 on: February 14, 2018, 09:11:25 am »

obligatory valentine's day "that feel when no gf" post.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 7701 7702 [7703] 7704 7705 ... 7846