Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7554 7555 [7556] 7557 7558 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8471781 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #113325 on: June 11, 2018, 02:07:44 pm »

It would be dangerous advice if he had an alternative or if he wanted to, say, become an unlicensed doctor

You're just trying to protect your own job security
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #113326 on: June 11, 2018, 02:26:39 pm »

That too
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113327 on: June 11, 2018, 02:35:16 pm »

Sometimes, when you're trapped between multiple bad options, your only solution is to take a third path. Get a little creative in how you approach things.

Writing: I write fan fiction. Makes the subject matter easy. Or easier, at least. While you can't charge for it, what you can do is set up a Patreon which lets people donate in order to support your work. If you don't want to write fan fiction but can't come up with your own subject matter, take writing prompts from other people(you can get paid to do this, I hear?) or throw dice on a list of random words.

Money: You would be amazed at how much money you can make by walking dogs. Walk a dog for an hour, take 10 dollars for it. The thing is, you can walk multiple dogs at once. If you can walk 4 dogs at once, that's 40 dollars an hour. This is broken.

I don't have the money for classes and textbooks.  They'd probably learn quickly I'm just a worthless fraud anyway.  Just like my previous jobs.

I just want to give up.
Part of how you live your life is influenced by how you see yourself. If you think you're a worthless fraud, you might end up acting like one. So don't. Consider the good things about yourself. Don't give up. If you have to, try self-hypnosis or other mind shenanigans to restructure your thinking.

Therapy: If your mental state is problematic, therapy would definitely be helpful, but if money makes that an issue... but like I said, you can get creative. The essence of therapy is talking to someone trustworthy. Find a priest, maybe. Even if you're not religious I imagine a good priest would still be quite willing to talk to you. I'm also sure that many of us on Bay 12 would also be willing to talk to you in private, though this may be a little iffier.

Learning:
This is incredibly dangerous advice.  Humans are notoriously full of shit, and when trying to learn a new subject without the guidance of a credentialed expert in the field to guide you away from seductive bullshit and to call you out on your own shit, you're very likely to fall victim to any of the numerous cognitive biases that we all have to wrestle with when trying to make sense of the world.
Trying to learn completely by yourself can be tricky, yes. Which is why you find hobbyist groups, free online courses(Coursera, anyone?) and the like to help you out.

Overall: Don't give up. If you have an issue that the standard approach won't fix, find an unusual approach. Get creative in facing your obstacles. If something doesn't work, ask how else can you fix this? While circumstances may impact you, ultimately you are the greatest factor of your life.

Grandmother's junk:
Give it a shot. A lot of how much we consider stuff worth can be adjusted. Perception of an object, for starters, can be adjusted(take better photos). A little cleaning and whatnot can also help drive something up. Flipping can work.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113328 on: June 11, 2018, 04:09:28 pm »

This is incredibly dangerous advice.  Humans are notoriously full of shit, and when trying to learn a new subject without the guidance of a credentialed expert in the field to guide you away from seductive bullshit and to call you out on your own shit, you're very likely to fall victim to any of the numerous cognitive biases that we all have to wrestle with when trying to make sense of the world.
Well, yeah, your mum is incredibly dangerous.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #113329 on: June 12, 2018, 02:15:11 am »

Things that worry me, not sad mind you, just... general nervousness:  so I have an offer in a private practice with a significamt wage increase, but I'd really like to get more information to make sure I'm not missing out  info...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #113330 on: June 12, 2018, 02:39:10 am »

Two of my friends have gone missing together around a week ago and seeing as they both had a rather have problem with depression I have a niggling feeling they might not quite be fine.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #113331 on: June 12, 2018, 06:44:01 am »

I went to doctor and all lab analysis done point to early onset of rheumatism. Kinda shatters the personal view of myself I had about being healthy as a horse, you know, considering the worst I had in my life was sprained ankle.
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113332 on: June 12, 2018, 11:52:27 am »

Waluigi is an assist trophy again.....

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #113333 on: June 12, 2018, 12:42:49 pm »

Waluigi is an assist trophy again.....
But they added Ridley, and he's a big deal
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113335 on: June 12, 2018, 08:25:46 pm »

Ever hit command Q when you've got a shit ton of tabs open? Happen's way too often.

In Chrome at least, if you go into history it'll say "23 tabs" or something like that, and give you the option to open them back up. Your browser most likely had the same thing.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #113336 on: June 12, 2018, 11:53:34 pm »

I learned earlier tonight that my aunt died. It had been a few years since id seen her.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113337 on: June 13, 2018, 12:21:46 pm »

Aw, sorry to hear that. My condolences.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113338 on: June 13, 2018, 02:45:57 pm »

Condolences Eric
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113339 on: June 13, 2018, 02:47:34 pm »

I am happy and sad.

Happy because my toddler graduated from his OT visits. He's met all of his goals and they don't have anything more to teach him. I'm sad because he got very upset that he wouldn't be able to see his therapist anymore and cried when she left our home for the last time. He misses her very much.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 7554 7555 [7556] 7557 7558 ... 8153