Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7613 7614 [7615] 7616 7617 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8568282 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #114210 on: September 15, 2018, 11:55:24 am »

Slept in and made it to work 1:20 late D:
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114211 on: September 15, 2018, 12:40:04 pm »

Banning carrying of knives in public isn't the same thing as "banning all knives" however, which implies they're coming into houses to take people's cutlery away, which is clearly nonsense.
Or one of the steps in a brilliant and overcomplicated scheme for world domination from a Saturday morning cartoon?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #114212 on: September 15, 2018, 12:41:45 pm »

Banning carrying of knives in public isn't the same thing as "banning all knives" however, which implies they're coming into houses to take people's cutlery away, which is clearly nonsense.

Also, that's from the mayor of London. And if you're not aware, London is a city, and not the whole of England.

Also, if you look at the context of the crime-spike, it's because of a drug war and turf battles between rival gangs in London. Not only is this not any sort of national ban, it's not a ban at all: it's a crackdown on gang behavior, and common sense would tell you that they have very limited police manpower to carry out the crackdown, so the entire effort will be focused on specific districts where these gang killing are taking place, and looking for groups of people who look like gang members, or are known gang member affiliates. It's going to be nothing like a national ban on having all knives of any description.
For clarification, it is a ban. London isn't just a city, it's 22% the population of the UK, not factoring in the millions who commute to London everyday. It is the single largest concentration of CCTV in the world, and yet it is a crime ridden mess with whole estates falling under the administrative control of 16 year olds. We are a joke tbh, so while I appreciate you trying to give the UK good PR, we do not deserve it at all. We used to have the best policing in the world! Good Lord how we've fallen. We're like a retarded police state with most of the downsides and none of the benefits or stability.

So for starters, you will get done in for carrying a knife on your person, whether or not you're affiliated with any gangs. The times where it's acceptable for you to have them in public you must have an incredibly valid reason for it, and that reason must be in active use - a butcher at their market stall is fine, a butcher just walking around with a knife anywhere is not, even if they use that knife for their trade. A man carrying a knife he uses on his boat is not fine, unless he is carrying that knife on the way to his boat. If the police can't decide whether your reason is valid or not, or if you cannot provide proof of why you're carrying that knife, they'll err on the side of taking your knife and will either give you a warning or arrest you, usually depending on whether you're wearing adidas, cas or smart. To top it all off, buying knives is 18+ only (this includes butter knives), deliveries including knives to residential areas are restricted or forbidden in some cases, and certain knives are just forbidden no matter what. This means that possessing them, importing them is a serious offence - this includes any knife which has a serrated edge or is used for "cutting" or has any marketing labels which suggest its purpose is for causing harm to people or zombies. So if it has an edgy brand name like "ripper, raptor, tearer, dick flenser 9000" and so on it's illegal as fuck, even if it's just a rebranded fish gutter. Swords are absolutely verboten unless the swords are made using traditional techniques or are antiques, or are imported for usage by museums, martial artists or film/theatre companies... Historical re-enactors and cosplayers are in a bit of a limbo, where they're legit as long as it's absolutely clear what they're doing. A CS:GO cosplayer nearly got done in by counter-terror police until he walked next to a Roman centurion and the police realized he was just in costume.

What of enforcement, you might say? Surely the police are all focused on specific districts where gang killings are taking place, or looking for groups of people who look like gang members, or are known gang member affiliates?
Nope lol
Metropolitan police has <130 police on their gang busting department, while the force has lost tens of thousands of people due to a decade of budget cuts and stagnant wage growth slowly crippling the force. They're now phasing in a degree requirement to join the police force too, meaning that young kids who want to become police officers have to spend at least 3 years and £27k in a campus environment which despises the police force - OR - self-fund a practical policing degree, moving the police force in line with the NHS by forcing Nurses and Doctors to pay for their own training in order to stave off fiscal collapse. By contrast gangs aren't picky, pick any borough in northwest, west, central, south, southeast or east London and there'll be thousands of gang members in each at least, with metropolitan London having tens of thousands of gang members in total. Daylight acid attacks, hammer attacks, stabbings, violent muggings, robberies, even brazen robberies on the Thames or attacks on police, coupled with a decline in police force size and quality, the police force is a thin blue line stretched thinner by the day. There's leaky gaps all over the place. We've had shit where police officers were forced to respond to violent crimes taking place on their own that resulted in the police being sexually assaulted, assaulted or humiliated, with the current national average being 6,000 attacks on police a day. The Home Office's response has been pretty much to always underreport crime or underreport the attacks on police and so on. There's no problem if no one is complaining you see.

So policemen are few and far between, with the best usually spent patrolling public areas owing to terrorism, and every time there's a carnival or a demonstration or a big sports events, police are usually too overwhelmed to prosecute criminals even when they're conducting violent crime in front of them, or attacking the police directly. When it comes to targeting gangs, our MPs have made targeting online trolls a greater priority than targeting gangs. In order to avoid accusations of being racist by targeting those who look like gangsters (our police force is still allowing human traffickers to enslave English children so as to not be called racist ffs), where they have enough manpower to conduct searches, they take over traffic bottlenecks like underground stations and set up metal detectors to screen everyone, and I've only ever seen them have enough money and manpower to do that once in my area - not even bothering to touch the estates where the gangs actually lived. That's not even factoring in how much of the violence isn't caused by gangs, just by violent kids who've grown up in the environment where the police cannot protect them, and so they have to protect themselves by being violent too. That's before you consider the urban geography of the city, with many areas of London being self-contained towns whose architects designed the buildings to be anti-bourgeois council flats which are impossible for policemen to safely patrol, and that's assuming police officers could patrol those areas and didn't have their nearby bases shut down due to budget cuts, as happened to my area's one. The police officers are doing their best, but the objectives they've been set by government are politically motivated, while they do not have the budget needed to stop the deterioration of the metropolitan police force. A record number of police officers have resorted to taking up second jobs just to pay for their bills, while corruption is such a pressing issue the metropolitan anti-corruption unit is under investigation for corruption.

tl;dr
we're a hive city with 1 spire

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114213 on: September 15, 2018, 01:34:52 pm »

Norway's got a knife ban too. Fairly heavily controlled with very strict punishments if you're out and about with one. It's also illegal to carry pepperspray, tasers, shuriken (yes, "ninja stars" are specifically named in the law), or anything else that "is or can be interpreted as being" a harmful weapon "with no legitimate purpose". This technically includes large sticks.

It's more legally defensible to own a high-powered hunting rifle with scope (because it has a legitimate purpose, via hunting) than it is to have a can of mace (because it has no legitimate non-human-harm uses).

We also really don't have much gang activity. I mean, sure, you get some... But most of the stabbings are just "random man stabs other random man he has never seen before", preferably in the middle of the street before nonchalantly wandering off into the sunset/sunrise. And this is a place where several thousand kilometers of one of the rowdiest regions (per capita) has, at any one time, a single patrol car with two officers in it.

That's up north though... Down south in the capital is where most of the stabbings happen, as it's the only really "urban" place. In the north they just beat the snot out of each other and string together long-winded encyclopedic depictions of various animal genitalia as insults to shout at one another in incomprehensible dialects.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114214 on: September 15, 2018, 02:16:28 pm »

Wait for Britain to ban playground equipment over this one:

AN 11-year-old boy has been left with horrific injuries which could have killed him after he attempted to recreate a dangerous YouTube stunt.

Tyler Broome passed out while been spun at high speed on a playground ride using the back wheel of a moped — a viral stunt known as the “Roundabout of Death”.

Jeez, back in our day we had to push the roundabout ourselves. To be fair they've always been death traps even without attaching a motor to the damn thing.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114215 on: September 15, 2018, 03:46:43 pm »

LW, I don't always have time to read your posts, but that one was good, imo. Would you say that the city of london could afford to pay the police more? I would have hoped that they would learn from America, and that cutting the pay of an entire publicly funded profession has negative effects. (Teachers)
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #114216 on: September 15, 2018, 05:23:32 pm »

LW, I don't always have time to read your posts, but that one was good, imo. Would you say that the city of london could afford to pay the police more? I would have hoped that they would learn from America, and that cutting the pay of an entire publicly funded profession has negative effects. (Teachers)
Probably.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114217 on: September 16, 2018, 01:53:00 am »

Banning knives is almost as dumb as banning guns.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114218 on: September 16, 2018, 02:05:23 am »

Tell that to all the people who get killed unnecessarily in places with lax gun control. UK and Australia have very low comparative murder rates to the USA. Gun control works, suckers.

Sure, maybe a few extra people will stab you because they can't shoot you, but the number of people willing to pick up a knife and attack you is only a fraction of the number who would do it with a gun. Knife attacks are much more risky and easier to fight back against. They're also much easier to out-run.

Also, that famous thing about New York being safer than London? It didn't last very long. There were a couple of months where New York had a dip which coincided with London having a spike, but it didn't last.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/15/new-york-murder-rate-is-much-higher-than-londons-new-figures-show-7717873/

Earlier this year, headlines claiming London’s murder rate was higher than New York City’s sent shockwaves around Britain. It followed a violent start to the year in the capital – with 18 murders in February alone, compared to 14 in New York. However, the month proved to be a one-off according to new figures.

Basically, there was one month in which chance fluctuations in the rate between the two cities equalized, and that's the entire "see, gun control doesn't work" argument right there. Well, explain why London's safer that New York in literally every other month rather than that single month they all want to cite.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 02:16:45 am by Reelya »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #114219 on: September 16, 2018, 02:16:34 am »

Knives are also cheaper, meaning that without guns there's less firepower differential between rich and poor. :3
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114220 on: September 16, 2018, 02:18:21 am »

snip'd

Don't give a damn.  We have a right to bear arms, and you will have to kill us to take it away.  Shocker, because we have guns, that is exponentially more difficult.

And just to make a point here, I have witnessed murders via gun and a number of other methods, they're all brutal and senseless.  That still won't make me give up my right to possess them.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 02:19:54 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114221 on: September 16, 2018, 02:20:16 am »

snip'd

Don't give a damn.  We have a right to bear arms, and you will have to kill us to take it away.  Shocker, because we have guns, that is exponentially more difficult.

Sure, but you don't get to complain about being shot then - by the police or anyone else. With everyone gunned-up to the teeth then police have a good reason to shoot first and ask questions later.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114222 on: September 16, 2018, 02:21:14 am »

Read my edit Reelya.  I have been shot at.  I have had friends die to gun crime.  I. DO. NOT. CARE. And what someone in a disarmed country thinks is completely meaningless to me.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #114223 on: September 16, 2018, 02:21:41 am »

They have a reason. I refuse to call it a good reason.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114224 on: September 16, 2018, 02:22:43 am »

Read my edit Reelya.  I have been shot at.  I have had friends die to gun crime.  I. DO. NOT. CARE. what someone in a disarmed country thinks.

Well then it sounds like everyone in your nation has a super-healthy attitude that's really working for all of you. Bravo to you on your principled stand that won't broke hearing any bullshit about little kids being shot.
Pages: 1 ... 7613 7614 [7615] 7616 7617 ... 8156