Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7615 7616 [7617] 7618 7619 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8578456 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #114240 on: September 16, 2018, 04:03:36 am »

Personally I'm fine with the personal ownership of firearms, so long as due process is observed and the person in question can prove that they're capable of handling the things with the respect they deserve.

Even the licensing and tests regulating the driving of self-powered vehicles don't remove the risk of some drunk, daft (or homicidally-inclined) idiot getting their hands on the steering wheel and killing or severely injuring several people, but at least it's something to block the worst offenders.
Did you know that, in the United States, there is no general requirement to have a driver's license to own a vehicle, or to operate it exclusively on private property?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114241 on: September 16, 2018, 04:06:59 am »

I know, right?  Isn't that just weird as hell?  At least licensing creates a legal path to keep those people off the streets, but the only bar to car/whatever multi-ton internal combustion device ownership is availability of funds.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114242 on: September 16, 2018, 04:58:49 am »

Personally I'm fine with the personal ownership of firearms, so long as due process is observed and the person in question can prove that they're capable of handling the things with the respect they deserve.

Even the licensing and tests regulating the driving of self-powered vehicles don't remove the risk of some drunk, daft (or homicidally-inclined) idiot getting their hands on the steering wheel and killing or severely injuring several people, but at least it's something to block the worst offenders.
Did you know that, in the United States, there is no general requirement to have a driver's license to own a vehicle, or to operate it exclusively on private property?

Same thing over here.  Kids from farming stock tend to learn to drive 4x4s and tractors on the farm very early, and then take their licences in order to be able to drive on the road.

@Maximum Spin  I'd genuinely like to see some of those sources, if you can find a decent one - my understanding was that the bearing arms section was a direct reaction to the British use of military force to quell the American independence movement, and was intended to provide for the people to have a right to equip local military forces should we or anyone else ever try to come back.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #114243 on: September 16, 2018, 06:17:52 am »

« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 06:21:27 am by Loud Whispers »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #114244 on: September 16, 2018, 06:28:40 am »

Let's move these discussions along to their own threads, shall we?
Love, scriver~

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114245 on: September 16, 2018, 06:38:55 am »

I wanted to make a remark on that knife control law: I don't really know anything about the UK, but isn't a law like that, you know, kinda un-enforceable? Any prison anywhere can show you that anything even remotely sharp can be fashioned into a weapon. Doesn't take a genius to fashion something formidable that could pass through a metal detector. Honestly, a law like that seems like it's daring criminals to get even more bold and depraved than ever before, especially with that bit with the police funding getting strangled? I'm not even sure what to make of the whole situation, but it's fascination reading about it from you guys; all we have in America is hundreds of pointlessly cruel shootings every year.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #114246 on: September 16, 2018, 06:44:52 am »

I wanted to make a remark on that knife control law: I don't really know anything about the UK, but isn't a law like that, you know, kinda un-enforceable? Any prison anywhere can show you that anything even remotely sharp can be fashioned into a weapon. Doesn't take a genius to fashion something formidable that could pass through a metal detector. Honestly, a law like that seems like it's daring criminals to get even more bold and depraved than ever before, especially with that bit with the police funding getting strangled? I'm not even sure what to make of the whole situation, but it's fascination reading about it from you guys; all we have in America is hundreds of pointlessly cruel shootings every year.
Continuing on this discussion in yurop thread?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114247 on: September 16, 2018, 06:45:19 am »

Doesn't take a genius to fashion something formidable that could pass through a metal detector.

Yet, outside prisons, stabbing with home-made shivs isn't really much of a thing. That's a hypothetical, and it's not really borne out by experience or common sense. Home-made non-metal shivs just aren't as good at killing things as proper knives. There would already be a much bigger market for wooden or plastic knives if they were at all effective.

"Look out, he's got a sharpened stick!"

Sure, in prison they can sharpen a toothbrush and hold you down and stab you with it a bunch of times to kill you, for sure. But that's an enclosed environment where you can't get away, and they can take all the time in the world to plan the attack. Mugging people on the outside with just a sharpened toothbrush isn't going to be a very effective way of robbing people. Shivs work in prison because people are forced to live in very close proximity and they can carefully plan and time the attack - and they need to outnumber you 3:1 for it to really work. That doesn't mean they'd be a particularly effective weapon in the outside world.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 06:52:28 am by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114248 on: September 16, 2018, 07:03:27 am »

Well, I mean... No. No, that's just wrong. Wooden knives/shivs are entirely capable of fucking you up. Same goes for hard plastic, a traditional stone stabby, ceramic, or fucking pasta.

However, metal knives are durable, so they retain their edge and structural integrity even after a lot of repeated use.

The difference is how much effort people are actually willing to put into making the damn thing. Which, as it turns out, ends up not being a whole lot when the situation is a heat-of-the-moment type deal.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114249 on: September 16, 2018, 07:12:18 am »

BRB, opening a start-up selling non-metal combat knives.
What would me make them out of? Tempered glass? I'm gonna be rich.

Also, living in a dystopian hellhole with no guns or freedom is my constant, passive Sad. At least we can still carry knives.
Do UK pubs serve drinks in glass? Seems like a pretty easy workaround if you need to stab a cunt.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #114250 on: September 16, 2018, 07:14:50 am »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114251 on: September 16, 2018, 07:34:11 am »

Things That Made You Stabby Today thread.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114252 on: September 16, 2018, 07:34:24 am »

Hire this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIoouZjvzMWlmd4aap97yCLJQdAMWZC02
Underwear is probably the cheekiest material to stab somebody with.

edit: oh, lol. Learn to read earlier posts, me.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 07:44:10 am by Il Palazzo »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114253 on: September 16, 2018, 08:13:07 am »

In not stabbing related news, I woke up today to keep programming a game to help a fellow DF player in his project and get some $ in return. Yesterday I was a locomotive of motivation and energy, then went to sleep after a battle with peter to get him sleep, wife and me had to take turns over an hour until he finally fell. He have had 3 days of high fevers in what it seem it was a throat infeciton, the worst already behind... anyway, this morning I woke up without any steam, no motivation. They are still sleeping in the room and here I am at the living, staring blankly at the turned off tv screen. I just think I'm kinda exhausted? But taking up physical work lately had made feel more motivated, don't know why I'm like this right now and I hate it.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114254 on: September 16, 2018, 08:16:52 am »

Hire this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLIoouZjvzMWlmd4aap97yCLJQdAMWZC02
Underwear is probably the cheekiest material to stab somebody with.

edit: oh, lol. Learn to read earlier posts, me.
To be fair though, I didn't link the underwear one. Or the "smoke" (read: mostly rawhide) knife that he then used the sharpening shavings from to do calligraphy...

You can also just buy ceramic kitchen knives, which are fairly popular among people who don't really like knives and would rather buy a new set than sharpen something. It's not specifically tempered glass (which would honestly be kinda hilarious for a knife... One chip in the blade and the thing just fukken explodes), but ceramics are basically just a different kind of glass.

There are also carbon fiber knives in case you want a knife that can blow away in a stiff breeze but still open an artery.
Pages: 1 ... 7615 7616 [7617] 7618 7619 ... 8156