Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7655 7656 [7657] 7658 7659 ... 8155

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8547471 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #114840 on: November 21, 2018, 07:59:49 am »

I'm mostly still here for forum games.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #114841 on: November 21, 2018, 08:27:22 am »

So long as shitposts are dank and there is the sweet stench of leftist degeneration in the air, you will probably find me here.

So worry not, for all is well and all manner of things shall be well.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #114842 on: November 21, 2018, 08:37:51 am »

Pounded in the butt by the inevitability of decay

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114843 on: November 21, 2018, 10:02:57 am »

I'm here because I'm too damn old and grumpy to invest myself in a different forum. I've been here for ten years goddammit.

Also to insert dumb comments into serious discussions.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #114844 on: November 21, 2018, 11:06:55 am »

I'm here because I know (some?) of you guys, some(?) of you know me, and to be blunt I've been here for a long enough fraction of my life that leaving would be dumb. My relationship with this forum predates almost all of my actual friendships. Can't leave that, you know.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #114845 on: November 21, 2018, 11:14:00 am »

I'm here because of all the online fora I visited, this is one of the only places where I feel treated like a human being, because it stands as a proof that you don't need hair trigger moderation for people to be good, and because it's the forum of the best game pretty much ever.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114846 on: November 21, 2018, 11:29:42 am »

I'm here for the bizarre moderation style, which I at one point complained about.  Having a single busy dev act as a nuclear option goes completely against common practice, particularly when the rules of conduct are pretty strict.  Yet it works, somehow.

It's likely that I just enjoy passive aggression and cattyness, heh.  Or that I like watching people forced to attack positions rather than people.  "I was mistaken in this particular part of my argument" is still a rare bird, of course, but that *never* happens when people trade insults.

I guess the parts of GD that *aren't* the politics thread are okay too :P  But they really are, because they humanize people with gross political beliefs.  That's not a reason to be merciful or a doormat to them, but it keeps the political discussion from being pure lofty theoreticals.  There are lived experiences, perspectives to try to understand.

Anyway, I still miss being a part of the tgstation community.  Everybody was rude, insincerely offensive to show emphasis, and really passionate about the game (or its development).  The politics of choosing the headcoders and head-admins, and how those groups worked together and with the most vocal/passionate players (shitposters), was truly something.  I didn't leave for any reason, I just got too busy.

I love Reddit mechanically, and it's a great source of useful posts, but I would never "join" the "community".  Share a finding or comment on a game, sure, but never join an argument.

And 4chan is useful.  Loud Whispers said it better than me, as freakin always :P  I particularly like the "civ4xg" thread on /vg/.  *checks the current thread, cringes* Like, it's full of shitposting obviously.  But after a while those become part of the atmosphere, an amusing clownshow over which gentlepeople of taste discuss actual matters of import.  A discussion of ideal territory-claiming *looks* a lot more profound when its interlaced with Wiz as an anime girl eating your money.

It's very Shakespearean, that contrast
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114847 on: November 21, 2018, 01:35:59 pm »

I think reddit is mechanically garbage.  By default only things that are popular get read.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114848 on: November 21, 2018, 04:21:50 pm »

At least the upper DF boards remain innocent. The decay has yet to spread there, probably because that is where new users tend to begin before they drift to the lower boards (like I did.)
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #114849 on: November 21, 2018, 05:30:46 pm »

I don't go in the politics threads, just the emotion threads and all the creative ones, and I don't really have any complaints. I'm not sure what people mean by "decay", from my perspective nothing has changed drastically except for the types of games that are popular in Forum Games.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #114850 on: November 21, 2018, 05:40:16 pm »

I don't go in the politics threads, just the emotion threads and all the creative ones, and I don't really have any complaints. I'm not sure what people mean by "decay", from my perspective nothing has changed drastically except for the types of games that are popular in Forum Games.
This is the dark souls of forums. Every now and then we must sacrifice an ancient forumite in order to keep the bonfire burning for a few more years

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #114851 on: November 21, 2018, 05:45:10 pm »

I'm shocked that Kagus is actually more ancient than I am in these forums
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114852 on: November 21, 2018, 05:49:27 pm »

I'm shocked that Kagus is actually more ancient than I am in these forums
I disguise my decrepit personage with the youthful vigor of ignorance.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114853 on: November 21, 2018, 06:00:51 pm »

This is the dark souls of forums. Every now and then we must sacrifice an ancient forumite in order to keep the bonfire burning for a few more years
Yes, indeed. The shitpost brands the bay12er. And in this forum, the shitposters are corralled and lead to the lower boards, where they are locked away, there to await the banning of the emotion threads...
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #114854 on: November 21, 2018, 06:06:17 pm »

Rage has already been cruelly torn from us.

What will be next?

Sadness? Terror? Happiness?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 7655 7656 [7657] 7658 7659 ... 8155