Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7664 7665 [7666] 7667 7668 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8612898 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #114975 on: December 14, 2018, 09:34:33 am »

Baal has it worse.  He's in the middle of a country that is imploding financially. Even if you gave him money, there is no food in the store to buy most likely.   Assuming the post still runs, I can send him (SMALL!!) packages of calorie dense non-perishables. (I dont dare send big items. It would attract attention, and he does not need that.)

Ah, I was unclear - I meant I'd send food over, hence why it might be good for food bribes.  Small, regular deliveries should be overlookable.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114976 on: December 14, 2018, 09:39:41 am »

Another day, another school shooting. The only consolation, if you can call it that, is expressed succinctly, if a bit distantly, on Wikipedia.

DeathsInjuries
1 (the perpetrator)0

And right back to sad again. Wikipedia has a fucking article on "school shootings by death toll." You don't want to give damaged minds a painted fucking target.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114977 on: December 14, 2018, 10:12:37 am »

Another day, another school shooting. The only consolation, if you can call it that, is expressed succinctly, if a bit distantly, on Wikipedia.

DeathsInjuries
1 (the perpetrator)0

And right back to sad again. Wikipedia has a fucking article on "school shootings by death toll." You don't want to give damaged minds a painted fucking target.

Wiki's purpose is to inform, people do what they do with the information.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 10:16:08 am by Rowanas »
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114978 on: December 14, 2018, 10:14:55 am »

It's when they start writing the perpetrators' names as three-letter abbreviations/acronyms that you should worry.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114979 on: December 14, 2018, 03:01:22 pm »

My kid is having terrible nightmares, wakes up screaming 2-3 times a night at least. Also, he can't tell me what is scaring him, because he has speech difficulties, so he just screams in terror and cries. He tries very hard to tell me what happened, but he can't form the words, and then he gets more scared and frustrated. Sometimes can take him 20m to get calm enough to try going back to sleep.

I was an hour late to work today because of the lack of sleep involved, as well.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 03:04:37 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114980 on: December 14, 2018, 03:31:36 pm »

My kid is having terrible nightmares, wakes up screaming 2-3 times a night at least. Also, he can't tell me what is scaring him, because he has speech difficulties, so he just screams in terror and cries. He tries very hard to tell me what happened, but he can't form the words, and then he gets more scared and frustrated. Sometimes can take him 20m to get calm enough to try going back to sleep.

I was an hour late to work today because of the lack of sleep involved, as well.

Can he write down what's scaring him instead?

EDIT: or, come to that, draw it?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 03:36:37 pm by Trekkin »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #114981 on: December 14, 2018, 03:43:01 pm »

Nah. It sounds like a night terror
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #114982 on: December 14, 2018, 03:46:33 pm »

I learnt today that as my rights are not retroactive, I'm missing 6k euros of public primes that I should have got over the years.
sadman.jpg

Fill up your paperwork kids.
The good news is I'll start collecting right now at double rate so it's better than nothing

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114983 on: December 14, 2018, 03:53:02 pm »

Can he write down what's scaring him instead?

EDIT: or, come to that, draw it?

Unfortunately no, he's 2 1/2 so he can't do those things accurately enough yet. It does seem like some kind of night terror, he goes from dead asleep to 100% panic mode instantly. The first time I did a physical assessment like they taught me in EMS school, I thought he'd hurt himself.

This morning he woke up at 9AM with this problem and I went in to get him and he was still so tired he wanted to go back to sleep. :(:(:(
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 06:35:06 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114984 on: December 14, 2018, 07:36:54 pm »

This morning he woke up at 9AM with this problem and I went in to get him and he was still so tired he wanted to go back to sleep. :(:(:(
Sorry kiddo, only allowed to do that once or twice a week!

Anyways. I hope he feels better... Seeing that kind of torment in an adult is terrible, seeing it in a child is heart-rending.

It may not be "accurate", but supplying crayons and paper may let him express *something* and help lift the weight a little? I don't know, I don't know much about night terrors...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114985 on: December 14, 2018, 07:55:00 pm »

No that is a really good idea, but his communication skills are off due to some developmental issues with speech (easily corrected eventually according to his speech pathologist, but not today). and it makes it hard for him to tell me what's going on.

It wouldn't be so bad if I could tell him it's not real, etc.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114986 on: December 14, 2018, 11:29:14 pm »

Thanks for the offerings of help you guys!

However I don't think things bigger than a chocolate bar could reach me, our public mail system is virtually non existent and what does exists highly corrupt and unreliable.

The safest options would be something like DHL but I think they aren't operating here anymore, or a door to door courier system but that would be much expensive I think.

Weird is right that even with money there are things that just are out of reach. IE. a neighbour spend Monday night in a queue to acquire a ticket/number/pass for a popular supermarket yesterday. He stood there until Tuesday morning and got a pass for Thursday. Yesterday he went and all that was there was salt. There weren't any other products, just salt. I'm not kidding you. He got the single kg he was allowed to buy and that was it. Try again next week.

There are options but the black market here is crazy and savage, well I guess all black markets tend to be. A dozen of kilos of spaghetti (around 24 pounds?) is sold at 15$ at the gates of the factory. When you earn 8$ per month 15$ is a fuckhuge sum. And that is one of the cheapest things to buy actually.

Then there's the hundreds of Chinese knockoff like Pampas or Hugssies diapers, Head&Shower champoo and Cresgate or Goldate toothpaste, Old Spring deodorants and so many dozens of products that while semi-accesible deep down you know are pure cancer. It seems straight our of a Simpsons joke. This extends to some.imported food, specially rice, pasta and beans.

Quality stuff either national or imported is sold at prices only our 1% can buy. A bottle of Gillette shaving foam is 30$. A axe deodorant 25$, real Colgate toothpaste is 20$ the small tube, and so on and so forth.

Mephisto, is really sad indeed. I think I'll never really understand the motivation behind this kind of acts. There some aspects of the north american culture that I really don't grasp.

@Dunamisdeos that seriously sucks man. By chances Pedro also got really scared last night, he woke up calling for his mother and crying. However as we all sleep in the same room and bed my wife quickly took him in her arms and in a few minutes he was okay. I guess there's a time when they start to have vivid dreams that might have this effect? He's 1y and 3 months old. My niece is more contemporary with your kid and sometimes that happen to her too, my sister just breast feed her into sleep again.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 11:32:38 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #114987 on: December 15, 2018, 02:16:51 am »

Read Darnton's Great Cat Massacre.

Some apprentices got sick of their employers, so when told to kill the cats they did. Viciously. And including their Master's wife's cat. They made a big joke of it.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114988 on: December 15, 2018, 02:58:24 am »

According to their site, DHL still does delivery to Venezuela.   There's an absurd list of things I *CANNOT* send via their service(1)... but it says nothing about packaged nonperishables.

(1)
Spoiler: wtf? marbles? (click to show/hide)

DHL will be more difficult to use, as I will have to drive to Wichita to use their distribution/delivery center, but I can still make it happen if that's what it takes.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #114989 on: December 15, 2018, 03:20:31 am »

Looking up cats on Wikipedia and...

"In medieval France, cats would be burnt alive as a form of entertainment. According to Norman Davies, the assembled people "shrieked with laughter as the animals, howling with pain, were singed, roasted, and finally carbonized"."
Read Darnton's Great Cat Massacre.

Some apprentices got sick of their employers, so when told to kill the cats they did. Viciously. And including their Master's wife's cat. They made a big joke of it.

When people are bored, they tend to get entertainment from wherever they can. And wherever they can tends to be fucking awful as it largely consists of public executions and bloodsport. You can still find shades of the latter in many "traditional customs", like bull fighting, fox hunting, and similar.
I kind of hope they are on the way out though. We're likely admist the most moral generations ever thanks to our broad spectrum of bloodless entertainmemt
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 7664 7665 [7666] 7667 7668 ... 8156