Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7672 7673 [7674] 7675 7676 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8473970 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #115095 on: December 20, 2018, 03:04:40 am »

That takes so much work. Why not send the surplus children to a sausage factory and then feed the rest?
It would be easier, more efficient, and would create jobs
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115096 on: December 20, 2018, 03:11:51 am »

Look, I get exactly where you are coming from here, there are no good solutions to our civilization's woes.  But there are estimated to be around 153 million orphans worldwide, this number is obviously incomplete as many places that have major problems with orphans (China, most African nations) do not have reliable numbers to work with.  But even if you take a pretty liberal estimate of 300 million orphans globally, you aren't even coming close to population maintenance for the places on Earth that might actually be able to DO SOMETHING about these problems (tho' I sure as hell won't hold my breath for it.)  And we cannot afford to let our technological nations pull a Japan unless we really are willing to write off our civilization, which I am absolutely opposed to.

As far as the genocide option goes, I don't oppose this viewpoint entirely, but I also refuse to accept it unless all other options (of which there are painfully few and most are beyond unlikely to happen) are explored, attempted, and exhausted.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115097 on: December 20, 2018, 03:16:24 am »

That takes so much work. Why not send the surplus children to a sausage factory and then feed the rest?

Goddamnit, I was, for a single post, trying to be a reasonable human being, and you go and suggest something that is unworkable.  We need to grind the -elderly- up into sausages, they're the ones fucking our economies to death.

Look, I get exactly where you are coming from here, there are no good solutions to our civilization's woes.  But there are estimated to be around 153 million orphans worldwide, this number is obviously incomplete as many places that have major problems with orphans (China, most African nations) do not have reliable numbers to work with.  But even if you take a pretty liberal estimate of 300 million orphans globally, you aren't even coming close to population maintenance for the places on Earth that might actually be able to DO SOMETHING about these problems (tho' I sure as hell won't hold my breath for it.)  And we cannot afford to let our technological nations pull a Japan unless we really are willing to write off our civilization, which I am absolutely opposed to.

I don't have enough data to refute your point, I can only say that I reckon we could maintain our civilisations with smaller population numbers. Don't know how much smaller, or if it's true, but there might be a study or two somewhere.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #115098 on: December 20, 2018, 03:19:48 am »

Goddamnit, I was, for a single post, trying to be a reasonable human being, and you go and suggest something that is unworkable.  We need to grind the -elderly- up into sausages, they're the ones fucking our economies to death.

Have you smelled the elderly? Would you really like to eat that?
There is a reason why roast lamb is a popular dish and "roast mutton from the oldest sheep we found" isn't.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115099 on: December 20, 2018, 03:28:04 am »

The problem is that we are already losing vital basic skills like machining and numerous other trades, this doesn't sound like a problem on the surface but those lower level skills are the foundation of the upper tier technologies, without an adequate (and adequately educated) population you cannot maintain that upper level tech indefinitely (in fact in just a few generations you start to regress), and automation doesn't help matters any.  There are absolute thresholds for the population needed to maintain a technological level.

This is exactly why Japan is throwing an absolute fit about it's population losses, they KNOW that they don't have enough children to replace the elderly skilled people they are going to lose soon.  That 153 million I cited above?  It would take half of that just to keep Japan's population stable.  This is a serious problem if we do want to try to fix anything, because our current tech won't be able to do it, we need the platform of all those people to let our scientists and engineers and (ugh) statesmen do their thing, or we cannot even attempt to deal with the problems.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 03:45:12 am by NullForceOmega »

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115100 on: December 20, 2018, 03:31:06 am »

Have you smelled the elderly? Would you really like to eat that?
There is a reason why roast lamb is a popular dish and "roast mutton from the oldest sheep we found" isn't.
Mmmyeah. Make the unwanted children wanted by bringing out their youthful scrumptiousness.
Just remember to buy free-range. It wouldn't be moral otherwise.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115101 on: December 20, 2018, 03:43:56 am »

We could enlist all the orphans. General Dav MacShoutington has enough paternal instinct to go 'round for the whole army.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115102 on: December 20, 2018, 03:48:22 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:21:51 pm by dragdeler »
let

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115103 on: December 20, 2018, 03:56:43 am »

Will you put that goddamn whetstone down and stop trying to sharpen that edge to monatomic?  It's never going to happen.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115104 on: December 20, 2018, 04:23:44 am »

My dad used to say "SLAUGHTER. SLAUGHTER. SLAUGHTER.". He's dead now. Hahaha, I like that.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115105 on: December 20, 2018, 06:04:09 am »

My dad used to say "SLAUGHTER. SLAUGHTER. SLAUGHTER.". He's dead now. Hahaha, I like that.
Did he, on frequent basis took the skulls of his fallen enemies?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #115106 on: December 20, 2018, 10:00:22 am »

Did he, on frequent basis took the skulls of his fallen enemies?

He put the laughter in slaughter.

"ARE YOU SCARED?!"
"Y-Y-YES... OH GOD..."
"Good. You're on scare tactics."
"...Really?"
"NO! *SPLAT* BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!"
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #115107 on: December 20, 2018, 10:06:39 am »

The problem is that we are already losing vital basic skills like machining and numerous other trades, this doesn't sound like a problem on the surface but those lower level skills are the foundation of the upper tier technologies, without an adequate (and adequately educated) population you cannot maintain that upper level tech indefinitely (in fact in just a few generations you start to regress), and automation doesn't help matters any.  There are absolute thresholds for the population needed to maintain a technological level.

This is exactly why Japan is throwing an absolute fit about it's population losses, they KNOW that they don't have enough children to replace the elderly skilled people they are going to lose soon.  That 153 million I cited above?  It would take half of that just to keep Japan's population stable.  This is a serious problem if we do want to try to fix anything, because our current tech won't be able to do it, we need the platform of all those people to let our scientists and engineers and (ugh) statesmen do their thing, or we cannot even attempt to deal with the problems.
Clearly we should send all the world's orphans to Japan. It's the only way.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #115108 on: December 20, 2018, 11:42:33 am »

Sausages teneb. Delicious organ sausages.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115109 on: December 20, 2018, 11:47:55 am »

I'd be interested in a source for any of that, particularly these "absolute thresholds."
Pages: 1 ... 7672 7673 [7674] 7675 7676 ... 8153