Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7722 7723 [7724] 7725 7726 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8473876 times)

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #115845 on: April 19, 2019, 03:40:06 am »

And that's before you reword that Voight-Kampff test question to suit a divine entity:
"One of your priests is sodomizing a nine-year-old boy every Sunday.
You know for a fact that aftereffects of this abuse will drive the boy to suicide when he's fifteen years, seven months and three days old, thus damning his soul forever.
You have the power to grant visions to people, so you can inspire the boy to go to the cops, or you can sneakily manipulate someone to walk in on the perv.
But you do nothing instead, allowing it to happen. Why?"

Attempting to solve that riddle gives some really fucked-up answers.
It's my main reason not to believe in God: not because there's no proof, not because the entire premise is self-contradictory, but because if he exists, then the faithful are every bit as fucked as the unbelievers.
Living forever in complete thrall to something that enjoys watching people suffer is... not a good prospect. It's even worse than being a dwarf in DF. At least dwarves get to escape the player when they die.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #115846 on: April 19, 2019, 03:46:58 am »

Well since you seem to care: "était mauvaise" would have been frencher. I was wondering if one had the same mobility in medics as in general natural science, when speaking english reasonably well. Makes sense though if you have a lot of patient contact.

Well, most countries in the western world  are quite demanding about people in the medical profession being fluent in the local language. And with reason. You cannot expect the locals to speak English, Spanish, or whatever, and the local's pronounciation of their own will probably not be the exactly the same one as in language school.
For reference, I have no idea about France/Belgium/Luxembourgh's requirements. UK (and Ireland) and Spain are the most demanding countries in Western Europe regarding languages (a C2 level is required). The least demanding ones are Germany and the Nordic countries, only requiring a B2 and often making offers in which you're only supposed to be fluent in English and they offer you a German/Danish/Swedish course to learn while on the job.

My personal impression: I'm quasi-bilingual in English and Spanish. Even then I sometimes struggle with some people's pronounciation. I find the idea of working somewhere with B2 fluency a bit worrysome.

Yes given that you speak at least two latin languages (I'm assuming with the mess that is spain) you should have a nice advantage, but french is among the harder languages to learn; courage.

Well TBH I'm only fluent in Spanish. I have a bit of Basque, but I'm not fluent and it's not a latin language anyway. I guess it could be helpful in Biarritz I guess  :P
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #115847 on: April 19, 2019, 03:48:23 am »

At least dwarves get to escape the player when they die.
Not in succession games
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #115848 on: April 19, 2019, 04:03:11 am »

I'm not sure if that's deliberately mistaking him XD

When the Dwarves die they escape, not when the player dies.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #115849 on: April 19, 2019, 04:05:51 am »

Ah, scepticism1 is strong in this one.

I can't really tell you if you are right or wrong but what you wrote is similar in concept to Epicurus' "problem of evil". Personally I was raised in a christian home, albeit a probably more relaxed than yours, and at some point I had to face the same questions. My conclusion was that my desire to not cause any harm to others is enough to keep me (what I would like to consider) an honest man with good morals. My next logical conclusion was to reject religion(s) altogether, a benevolent god wouldn't care about worshiping him, an malevolent one would fuck you either way.

1: I use scepticism because you are basically questioning the nature of god not its existence. The concept of the one benevolent god is common to monotheistic (abrahamic?) religions, afaik in polytheistic systems individual gods often have human like faults.

I'm not sure if that's deliberately mistaking him XD

When the Dwarves die they escape, not when the player dies.

I think ChairmanPoo is referring to the rather common practice of claiming a new dwarf when the old one dies (Urist McForumuser, Urist McForumuser II, etc)
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115850 on: April 19, 2019, 04:34:28 am »

The traditional answer, so far as I am aware, is that the infallible entity is both so pure and so above mortal bonds that it is beyond our ability to comprehend. We cannot define God, because we do not know how to define God. The comparison made is usually that between a man and an ant. An ant can experience (a limited portion of) the man, and can have its life affected by him, but the ant cannot grasp the magnitude and complexity of the man's whole existence. "Is the man a red ant or a black ant?", "How does the man interpret the queen's pheromones?"; these are questions the ant could ask about the man, based on important and central aspects of the ant's concept of reality, but which are ultimately meaningless given the subject. The man is neither a red ant nor a black ant, the man is the man.

As such, God's morality cannot be questioned not so much because we are not allowed to question it (although that's definitely a factor!), but more because we cannot pose meaningful questions about it. The ever-popular "God works in mysterious ways". We are supposed to believe that God is not only ultimately and wholly good and benevolent, but that he is ultimately good and benevolent in a way which we simply have no frame of reference for.

HmH brings up the classical strife between Predestination and Free Will. This is a very fun argument, and one fraught with peril. One of the central concepts of at least the Christian faith is that God specifically granted humans Free Will. This was apparently in contrast with the angels he had created of himself, which were merely extensions of his plans and little more than tools.

And it doesn't take very long before that more or less completely breaks down... First of all, as soon as God started fawning over these humans with their free will, the angel Lucifer takes offense and rebels. Against his father, God, of whose will he is merely an extension. So either he rebelled specifically because God wanted to fight himself, or somebody possibly didn't think this thing the whole way through when they wrote it. Alternatively (and more likely), there's some other explanation for this that's written down somewhere and I simply don't know enough scripture and interpretation to be able to comment.

Secondly, God is omniscient and omnipotent. While humans are allowed to define their own fates through the agency of Free Will, God will know everything that they choose to do before they choose to do it. Similarly, he has the power to effortlessly change any of those choices or any of their outcomes at any time.

By choosing not to alter any of those "self-chosen destinies", God is implicitly allowing them to happen. Since he's implicitly in full control of every aspect of our lives, and is aware of every aspect that will ever affect our lives (and exactly how it will affect us), whatever we "choose" to do is God's plan for us. Which means it's Predestination. Which means it's not actually Free Will. mysterious ways, motherfucker

My argumentation is a bit sloppy, but the concepts should be apparent enough. Also, thanks... Writing this up gave me something else to focus on, and I was having kind of a shitty day.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115851 on: April 19, 2019, 05:03:43 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:06:31 pm by dragdeler »
let

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #115852 on: April 19, 2019, 05:12:45 am »

UPD: Hid the post under a spoiler, since it's technically offtopic. If anyone wants to continue this discussion, I'll be looking for their post in the religion thread.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 05:30:11 am by HmH »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #115853 on: April 19, 2019, 05:14:51 am »

I suggest you guys take this to the religion thread if you wish to continue it further.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #115854 on: April 19, 2019, 05:20:12 am »

I suggest you guys take this to the religion thread if you wish to continue it further.
Yeah, sorry, should have done that. Putting my previous post under a spoiler so it doesn't take up space and annoy future readers.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115855 on: April 19, 2019, 01:14:53 pm »

Point: "I feel awful and stagnant in a life that I feel I've completely squandered with nothing to show for it"

Counterpoint: "So learn a skill or improve yourself in some way"

Point: "But I don't have the interest to pick any specific thing, or the motivation to develop it without that interest"

Counterpoint: "Pick something general, like working out and improving your body"

Point: "If I do that, I might fail to make any noticeable improvement and end up feeling even worse because I couldn't actually make things better by focusing on that solution"

Counterpoint: "There's only one way to find out about that though"

Point: "Yeah, but what if I'm right?"

Counterpoint: "Well, shit."

So, today's been fun. I spent 12 minutes playing a computer game, because that's better than staring at the wall. Then I stared at the wall.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #115856 on: April 19, 2019, 01:22:28 pm »

Do not underestimate the power of endorphins. I started exercising on a bi-daily basis and, whilst results have thus far been negligible, I tend to feel much more relaxed, content and alert.
After the initial "oh lord make it stop my muscles have been pulverised" tries.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 01:24:10 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #115857 on: April 19, 2019, 02:17:46 pm »

So I had a conversation with my "boss" (technically not my  as I'm still a consultant/attending, which means that strictly speaking I *am*  part of the management).  Got some tirade about how what happened is that I was not able to convey to the board that I had a good long term plan for this place, and thats why I was not suited to get a permanent position, but that my professional competence is not in question and that they'd very much lile to keep me around and there is another post next year and blah blah.

Its all bollocks of course. They had a domestic candidate and because of obvious politics they had to ensure said candidate got the post instead of me. Therefore they made sure I was pilloried in that interview. Now, since I reacted far more angrily than they expected (because the Johnny Foreigner they are used to deal with will put up with anything because they have no money, they're visa reliant and afraid of being deported, and are easily replaced), they're suddenly worried that their scheudles for the next six months are under threat. And thus they're backtracking on their shit.  I do believe my skills are truly not under question though. I've been managing the clinical plans of patients as I see fit for months. Truly my biggest problem has been the lack of support in this place. I've people requiring chemo languising in peripheral hospitals because we can't get beds for them  >:(

Anyways, I agreed that I would not make snap decisions concerning my departure. In exchange I improved my working conditions.

I *probably* wont stick around for long anyway but I'll do this on a different scheudle.

I havent forgiven them for what transpired, though. If there is something that irks me is besmirching my professional competence. I know it was just an excuse and if it hadnt been this it would hsve been something else. But this was... big. For.me  it changes the working relationship permanently. I spend way too much time and make a lot of sacrifices to provide the care I feel people deserve. People coming for my clinic have horrible health problems, horrible personal problems, and dont really take care of themselves. But they have utter trust in what I can do and I go out of my way to live up to that trust. Attacks on this... well. I've been dizzy with pure rage several.times this week, actually needing tlnsit down

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115858 on: April 19, 2019, 02:30:45 pm »

Do not underestimate the power of endorphins. I started exercising on a bi-daily basis and, whilst results have thus far been negligible, I tend to feel much more relaxed, content and alert.
After the initial "oh lord make it stop my muscles have been pulverised" tries.
This would of course be slightly easier if I didn't loathe every second of my time spent inside of a gym. And if I didn't leave every session feeling ashamed, weak, and hopeless.

I've considered the possibility of getting a set of free weights, but I have no idea if that would actually be better. Or worth the expense/space/weight.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #115859 on: April 19, 2019, 02:38:59 pm »

Had a therapist appointment today. Managed to talk a lot about the incident on wednesday and I felt listened to and understood at least. Though we didn't really get into solutions for communicating with the one who hurt me, and I didn't bring up the self harm. Not that I was trying to hide it, mind, just spent so much time talking about the other aspects of what happened.

It helped overall I guess, but I'm still pretty raw about what happened.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 7722 7723 [7724] 7725 7726 ... 8153