Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7723 7724 [7725] 7726 7727 ... 8153

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8472171 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #115860 on: April 19, 2019, 03:22:20 pm »

Do not underestimate the power of endorphins. I started exercising on a bi-daily basis and, whilst results have thus far been negligible, I tend to feel much more relaxed, content and alert.
After the initial "oh lord make it stop my muscles have been pulverised" tries.
This would of course be slightly easier if I didn't loathe every second of my time spent inside of a gym. And if I didn't leave every session feeling ashamed, weak, and hopeless.

I've considered the possibility of getting a set of free weights, but I have no idea if that would actually be better. Or worth the expense/space/weight.
Oh, going to the gym sounds expensive and a hassle. I've been gradually building up to what I'm now doing, which is 30 squats, 10 pressups, 26 lunges, 60 weights (literally using a heavy toolbox of my dad's), a 30 second plank, and 40 situps. I then do that two more times.

Needless to say, start with enough to push yourself and build on that. I never feel like doing it before I start, but I always feel great after.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #115861 on: April 19, 2019, 03:47:08 pm »

I mean, at the risk of doing the whole “all you depressives need is fresh air and exercise” shite, you could just go for a walk, too. Movement is good for a bunch of things.

Also, sounds like some unpleasant negative self-talk too. The counter-point should’ve been “what if I’m wrong?” :p

But yeah, that’s a hard one to get out of. It takes a lot of paying attention to your mood, and how you feel physically, and how you’re thinking, and another thing I can’t remember ( there is a fourth thing to that now, right?) and then making efforts to change enough of that to enact a change in your attitude and behavior (behavior, that was it!) and sort yourself into something livable, I guess.

It has taken me years and I’m still working on it. My major problem was what I termed the spin cycle, ‘cause I went round in my head with thoughts and got steadily more aggravated, and then being that aggravated would sap all my energy, which was unfortunate as being tired and feeling down are now tied together for me.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #115862 on: April 19, 2019, 04:05:57 pm »

Can confirm, exercise can be a real help with mood. Though the main thing is arresting negative self-talk. Which takes some practice if you've fallen into the pattern, but is always possible.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115863 on: April 19, 2019, 11:02:22 pm »

Had to go most of the day without painkillers. That sucked. Thankfully, I was able to get a refill on my prescription today. That said, I have been making sure to only take them when I need to, and I made my last 11 day supply (90 pills,) last 18 days.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #115864 on: April 19, 2019, 11:23:36 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Ergzay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115865 on: April 20, 2019, 02:49:15 am »

Reading this Fortress is for "Everyone" post that attacks men makes me sad. https://medium.com/the-fortress-is-for-everyone/community-generation-e77d90081232 They call Toady and friends "boys". Also, I didn't know you had to have a specific value system and world view to contribute to Dwarf Fortress discussion.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 02:51:00 am by Ergzay »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115866 on: April 20, 2019, 02:54:37 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Should really bring it up with the shrink. I know it's hard to open up about stuff like that, especially to a professional (oddly enough), but it's important. Even if they just give you some breathing exercises that will probably be forgotten in the heat of the moment, just talking about it will help you be more aware of what's going on and it's exactly the kind of thing that they should know about to help you avoid more of it.

It's also important to not beat yourself up over it (hah). It's not healthy, no, but once it's been done there's not a whole lot you can do about it other than just take care of yourself. You can't go back and "undo" it. Just breathe, accept that it was a misguided attempt to self-regulate, and move on. There's no point in trying to punish yourself for what's been done, that'll just make you feel worse.

You're trying to cope with overpowering forces. It's never an easy fight, and it takes time and help to learn the better strategies to deal with them.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #115867 on: April 20, 2019, 03:08:03 am »

Reading this Fortress is for "Everyone" post that attacks men makes me sad. https://medium.com/the-fortress-is-for-everyone/community-generation-e77d90081232 They call Toady and friends "boys". Also, I didn't know you had to have a specific value system and world view to contribute to Dwarf Fortress discussion.

"Boy" is a pretty fucking cheeky way to call somebody who has a phD and actively develops one of the most ambitious video games in history, but I gather that one of the authors knows or knew the Adams personally so it's not 100% out of line. Hardly an attack on the male gender.

Also, I didn't know you had to have a specific value system and world view to contribute to Dwarf Fortress discussion.

Quoth the article:

“Basically, you can’t be an asshole,” Zach always says. And what is defined as being an asshole is not up for debate. On the forums, overt and chronic racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, nationalism or any other other aggressive, exclusionary behavior earns you a ban.

Personally, I am fine with those listed "world views" and "values systems" not being a part of this forum.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #115868 on: April 20, 2019, 03:12:59 am »

Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #115869 on: April 20, 2019, 04:01:11 am »

Reading this Fortress is for "Everyone" post that attacks men makes me sad. https://medium.com/the-fortress-is-for-everyone/community-generation-e77d90081232 They call Toady and friends "boys".
The "boys"? That's the terminology they're going with?!

(The following is conjecture and is my opinion. Please, for the love of everything that is good in this world, do not take my statements as in any way truthful. I'm just ranting about DF, and that's all it is.)

DF, to me, it's like this super-general formula that just so happens to have every possible function as special cases. After all, why else can you just happen to play as a milkfish, for example, and the game works perfectly fine? It's because DF outright doesn't care if you're doing something strange. All it has is this framework that generalizes the notion of adventuring to all possible creatures. All it needs to know is that you're playing a creature, then it checks the characteristics of the creature to decide what you're able to do, and what you're not. What the creature happens to be is irrelevant to the game's functionality, as long as the creature is properly defined in the raws.

Why would anyone go through the effort of doing that, when you could just restrict the range of creatures that you can play as and call it a day? It's because I believe that Toady, mathematician that he is, probably isn't satisfied by doing that. Take 32 + 42 = 52. It's very famous, sure, but it's more interesting for him to have a general formula that generates that as one out of an infinite number of possible special cases. To bring it back to the context of DF, the fact that you can play as a human, dwarf, elf, goblin and so on and so forth doesn't interest him. Why try and figure out how a specific creature plays, when he can instead figure out an algorithm, a way, to take in some set of inputs, the characteristics of a creature, and let that figure out how it plays based on what it's given?

The generalized version of that problem would then be "given some set of input parameters relating to a game mechanic, is there an algorithm to "process" these inputs into some output, such that the output is meaningful and "reasonable" (game doesn't crash or do wacky stuff) for a "reasonable" range of inputs?" That, I think, is the the driving force behind DF, and the reason why mods that add in all sorts of stuff that would never make into DF officially can exist. It's because for anything you add in, as long as it can be interpreted by the game, the game can just plug it into one of many general algorithms to figure out what it does. From there, what it figures out is presented to the player as whatever you've added in.

I don't know how to conclude this, but I hope that the gist of what I'm trying to say is at least vaguely coherent.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #115870 on: April 20, 2019, 04:02:50 am »

Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115872 on: April 20, 2019, 06:18:40 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:04:53 pm by dragdeler »
let

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #115873 on: April 20, 2019, 07:28:58 am »

Gotta have the right bait for the right fish.
In a time before time, I had a name.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #115874 on: April 20, 2019, 04:58:42 pm »

I feel quite hollow since the events last week. I dont know what I'm doing, and I feel very much alone
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 7723 7724 [7725] 7726 7727 ... 8153