Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7733 7734 [7735] 7736 7737 ... 8156

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8577273 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #116010 on: May 15, 2019, 02:12:32 pm »

I have lost control of my life. It feels like it's always me making concessions for others or getting ignored.
Rocks fall. Everybody dies.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116011 on: May 15, 2019, 02:16:28 pm »

Can't wait.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116012 on: May 15, 2019, 11:58:20 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:03:29 pm by dragdeler »
let

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #116013 on: May 16, 2019, 02:25:22 am »

I have lost control of my life. It feels like it's always me making concessions for others or getting ignored.

People believe in free will - yet I'm allways proceeding per elimination  to choose the least undesireable option.
Defy Fate! Set your testicles on fire!
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #116014 on: May 16, 2019, 05:02:14 am »

Do it

He's a doctor, you can trust him
Love, scriver~

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116015 on: May 16, 2019, 05:15:07 am »

Fate. Destiny. Fatestinatey. People toss those words around like tennis balls. Well, I eat balls for breakfast.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116016 on: May 16, 2019, 05:42:59 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:13:28 pm by dragdeler »
let

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116017 on: May 16, 2019, 07:00:11 am »

I am more ..I dunno, is there even a word for it?

What good is a free press, and their ability to share their stories freely-- If they selectively only cover stories that are assured to sell eyeballs, and not those indicative of actual reality, or what actually happened? (Yes 24hr news, I want to know what good you are, given you only want to cover sensationalist pablum, and not what is actually happening in the world.)

--Expanded to fit the totality of the conversation:

What good is the notion of free will, if people routinely and predictably choose only specific actions or thoughts? (Or even worse, don't actually think at all, and just react to things all the time?)

If it does not do what it says on the tin, why call it that? I think most people would be legitimately shocked at how much of their behavior is really automatic, and not actually the product of advanced cognition at all.

Obsessing over having the capability to make a decision-- and then simply ignoring that capability in standard practice, for a good percentage of the time--- Really, it just seems absurd to me.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 07:12:14 am by wierd »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116018 on: May 16, 2019, 07:04:13 am »

Bahh.. just have that sinking feeling this is going to be yet another piece of a turd of a day in the democratic republic of banana.

I'm supposed to do a lot of things and my carpool is already late, this will surelly snowball out of control and as always I'll get the blame. My head and belly already hurts.

Oh well, see you guys in 12 or 14 hours to confirm what a shitty day it was.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116019 on: May 16, 2019, 07:37:27 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:13:35 pm by dragdeler »
let

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116020 on: May 16, 2019, 08:29:31 am »

Obsessing over having the capability to make a decision-- and then simply ignoring that capability in standard practice, for a good percentage of the time--- Really, it just seems absurd to me.

It's a crutch, wierd, that lets people pretend they're underinformed instead of underequipped to process the information in front of them.

Humanity knows a lot of things, but individual people can only learn so much, especially on an amateur basis, so there is a vast and widening gulf between the average public understanding and the actual state of any given art. Nobody likes being average or a member of the outgroup, so we tell ourselves that we're really capable of fully understanding everything if only all the relevant facts were in front of us. 24-hour news networks, like academic journal paywalls and mystery cults, are a convenient psychological focusing point for our anxiety at not understanding things. They let us convince ourselves that we are simply not told the whole story, rather than that the whole story is bigger and more complex than we have time to appreciate before we get back to work, and that gives us some specific external factor to rail against. They are driven by two of the most basic principles in running a con: first, that the easiest person to con is always yourself, and secondly that the best way to get someone to believe something wholeheartedly, even in the face of countervailing evidence, is to let them think they're too smart to be conned into thinking the opposite. Thus anti-vaxxers, conspiracy theorists, and cable news audiences.

They're not selling news, man, and they couldn't if they wanted to. They're selling the fantasy that everyone watching is uniquely capable of recognizing that they're not selling news, and would understand everything if only they knew the truth.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #116021 on: May 16, 2019, 06:27:31 pm »

I am more ..I dunno, is there even a word for it?

What good is a free press, and their ability to share their stories freely-- If they selectively only cover stories that are assured to sell eyeballs, and not those indicative of actual reality, or what actually happened? (Yes 24hr news, I want to know what good you are, given you only want to cover sensationalist pablum, and not what is actually happening in the world.)

--Expanded to fit the totality of the conversation:

What good is the notion of free will, if people routinely and predictably choose only specific actions or thoughts? (Or even worse, don't actually think at all, and just react to things all the time?)

If it does not do what it says on the tin, why call it that? I think most people would be legitimately shocked at how much of their behavior is really automatic, and not actually the product of advanced cognition at all.

People will always make what decision they deem best for the situation.

The universe is chaotic, so situations vary. The universe is chaotic, so people vary as well, holding different priorities, following different techniques, and of course making mistakes. This means that the decisions that people make, despite always being whatever they deem to be the best possible course of action, are themselves chaotic, unpredictable. The result of these chaotic and unpredictable decisions is chaotic and unpredictable outcomes, creating a chaotic universe which encourages chaotic decision making.

The end result of this paradigm is a universe in which decision making is important. This is "freedom" insofar as it is not constrained by any pattern less complicated than the universe itself.

Of course, I believe that people would be better at interacting with this system if they acknowledged and understood their own place in it. Most of the game is out of your own control, mastery of the game depends on working around this fact.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #116022 on: May 16, 2019, 11:43:15 pm »

I thought my leg was weak and tingly and my back hurt because I injured myself dancing. Nope, it's just a friendly neighborhood tumor pressing on all the nerves and muscles around it. Ngl, I'm looking forward to hospital food again.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #116023 on: May 17, 2019, 12:10:02 am »

Hope it's nothing serious, mate.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116024 on: May 17, 2019, 12:12:57 am »

It wasn't that crappy after all. Tomorrow will be the real deal. Not as bad as isnotlogical is having it however. I hope you get better dude.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 7733 7734 [7735] 7736 7737 ... 8156